Re: [tracker2] Re: New weather station board

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2009
      > 1) A way to report telemetry - ie battery voltage (at a minimum) and
      > prefereably battery charge current.

      It'll do battery voltage as it is. Might be able to add more later.

      > 2) Temperature inside (the battery enclosure) would be nice but not critical

      Could be done with a 1-wire sensor, but that gets back to the support
      and configuration issues.

      > 3) EMP (ie lightning) protection that tends to make these things go
      > bezerk in a thunderstorm when you need them most. Ferrite beads on all
      > inputs and outputs may do the job.

      There are ferrite chips on all off-board signal connections, and ESD
      suppressor diodes on the rain and wind inputs.

      > 4) A watchdog timer that would automatically reset the WX Station in
      > case of #3. The one I have just does a soft reset every evening at
      > midnight and that seems to do the job most of the time.

      It's got a built-in watchdog with a timeout of less than a second, but
      it's not perfect.

      > 5) Output wind speed, 5 minute gust, rain rate per hour and rain since
      > midnight (this assumes it has some sort of reliable clock to know when
      > midnight is).

      There's no built-in RTC.

      > Would you provide a pagoda type enclosure for the temp sensor? (I guess
      > it would need to be the whole board. Hopefully heating from the voltage
      > regulator etc would not throw it off.)

      Not at this point. You're right, it needs to be the whole board. It's
      in a white flange mount ABS enclosure, and will have a port near the
      humidity, temperature, and baro sensors, which are all along one edge.
      It'll either be narrow slits, or a larger port covered with a metal mesh.

      It'll need to be kept out of direct sunlight and should be in a
      semi-protected location. A pagoda would be nice, but it was going to be
      too expensive to manufacture. Even using an existing pagoda would
      require making a custom enclosure to fit it, which would be a few
      thousand bucks for tooling. Maybe I'll do that in the future if I sell
      enough of these things.

      The files went off to the board house this morning... I should have
      something to show in a couple of weeks.