Re: Nuvi 350 Serial Accessory Requires External Power

  • Adrian Miura
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2009
      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Miura" <adrianmiura@...> wrote:

      > Having communication problems between the T2 and a Nuvi 350. Sporadically I get "Serial Accessory Requires External Power" and then I lose my call sign on the nuvi display. Also when trying to sent text ,the out box message status never changes from sending. Apparently my messages are getting out but no response to the T2 that it was received so it keeps broadcasting.
      > The --version command works fine it gets a confirmation and an inbox reply
      > Im using a serial cable supplied by argent data to connect the T2 to the nuvi. Also I have checked the voltage from the Garmin power point and it is a constant 5.172 v
      > Thanks
      > KD5HTZ

      Looks to be a firmware issue. None of the cables were the problem again i looked to software/firmware. I downloaded Tracker2 build 54680 which is the version you get if you do a web update with otwincfg.exe and over wrote 54740 build which came with the T2. now I dont have the "Serial Accessory Requires External Power" issue. Havent tested the text message issue yet.

      KD5HTZ
    • k7ybz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2009
        Adrian,

        No offense, but the message about the serial accessory originates from the Nuvi, not the OT2. The serial accessory is the 'BUMP' in the FMI cable and power is ONLY supplied by the Nuvi. Only TX, RX, and GND are passed TO/FROM the OT2. The OT2 would know nothing about the "Serial Accessory Requires External Power". To prove this you can disconnect the FMI cable at the OT2 and leave it connected to the NUVI. Then remove the power to the Nuvi from the back panel. The message will appear on the Nuvi screen. This is the reason it has been suggested that there is an intermittent power connection to the back of the unit.

        Now then, the messaging problem 'might' be the firmware in the OT2, but I have not had any problem with the 54740 build. I did a quick search in the posts and didn't see anything there either. That's not to say you didn't trigger a bug. A little more information would help.

        Larry
        K7YBZ