Cant transmit using a Kenwood TH-G71

  • Adrian Miura
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1 7:46 PM
      I have confirmed the cable pin outs match the diagram posted for the
      TH-G71.

      I can receive data but cant get the OM2 to trigger the PTT to transmit
      my location.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated

      Adrian Miura

      KD5HTZ
    • k7ybz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 1:30 AM
        Adrian,

        You can test the PTT by removing the radio connector from the OT2 and shorting pin 3 (PTT) to pin 6 (GND). That should key the TH-G71. If it doesn't, recheck the wiring. If the wiring is correct, then either the diagram in the TH-G71 manual is incorrect or incomplete.

        If the TH-G71 does key up then make sure the HT jumper in the OT2 is open.

        I updated the wiring diagram in the files section to include that note about the HT jumper and added annotation to the pins on the OT2 radio connector block.

        Earlier this year there was someone else who was having the same problem. There was no additional information on whether the problem was found.

        Larry
        K7YBZ

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Miura" <adrianmiura@...> wrote:

        > I have confirmed the cable pin outs match the diagram posted for the
        > TH-G71.
        >
        > I can receive data but cant get the OM2 to trigger the PTT to transmit
        > my location.
        >
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated
        >
        > Adrian Miura
        >
        > KD5HTZ

      • Adrian Miura
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2 5:59 PM
          thanks for the info

          tried all the hardware stuff and looks like it was good so i tried fiddling with menu settings and it turns out on Menu option 15 "Trancever Control" must be set to "OFF" for the OT2 to trigger the PTT.

          Anyway hope this helps someone else.

          Adrian
          KD5HTZ

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

          > Adrian,
          >
          > You can test the PTT by removing the radio connector from the OT2 and shorting pin 3 (PTT) to pin 6 (GND). That should key the TH-G71. If it doesn't, recheck the wiring. If the wiring is correct, then either the diagram in the TH-G71 manual is incorrect or incomplete.
          >
          > If the TH-G71 does key up then make sure the HT jumper in the OT2 is open.
          >
          > I updated the wiring diagram in the files section to include that note about the HT jumper and added annotation to the pins on the OT2 radio connector block.
          >
          > Earlier this year there was someone else who was having the same problem. There was no additional information on whether the problem was found.
          >
          > Larry
          > K7YBZ
          >
          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Miura" <adrianmiura@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have confirmed the cable pin outs match the diagram posted for the
          > > TH-G71.
          > >
          > > I can receive data but cant get the OM2 to trigger the PTT to transmit
          > > my location.
          > >
          > > Any help would be greatly appreciated
          > >
          > > Adrian Miura
          > >
          > > KD5HTZ

        • Adrian Miura
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2 9:49 PM
            Thanks for the info. I did recheck the cable interface and when that did not correct the problem I fiddled with the menu settings. Turns out menu option 15 "trancever control" needs to be set to "off" for the OT2 to trigger the PTT.
            Hope this helps others with a TH-G71

            Adrian
            KD5HTZ

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

            > Adrian,
            >
            > You can test the PTT by removing the radio connector from the OT2 and shorting pin 3 (PTT) to pin 6 (GND). That should key the TH-G71. If it doesn't, recheck the wiring. If the wiring is correct, then either the diagram in the TH-G71 manual is incorrect or incomplete.
            >
            > If the TH-G71 does key up then make sure the HT jumper in the OT2 is open.
            >
            > I updated the wiring diagram in the files section to include that note about the HT jumper and added annotation to the pins on the OT2 radio connector block.
            >
            > Earlier this year there was someone else who was having the same problem. There was no additional information on whether the problem was found.
            >
            > Larry
            > K7YBZ
            >
            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Miura" <adrianmiura@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have confirmed the cable pin outs match the diagram posted for the
            > > TH-G71.
            > >
            > > I can receive data but cant get the OM2 to trigger the PTT to transmit
            > > my location.
            > >
            > > Any help would be greatly appreciated
            > >
            > > Adrian Miura
            > >
            > > KD5HTZ

          • k7ybz
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3 11:55 AM
              Adrian,

              Thanks for the feedback. I have updated the wiring diagram to include setting the menu option in the TH-G71.