Re: [tracker2] Trying to get started...

  • Gerry Graff
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2009
      I sort of ran into the same thing.  If the computer sees it, and the configuration program opens, if you do not see a Firmware number at the top of the configuration, then run update firmware.  In other words, with mine, the unit came "loaded" blank, and I had to use the update firmware to get to a starting point to program the unit.  After that, all was fine. I haven't seen this documented elsewhere.

      Gerry
      W5LCY

      On Jun 30, 2009, at 8:51 AM, kc0nro wrote:

      All,
      Just got my OTm2 last night and am still trying to get connected to the booger and configure it...

      I have tried every thing I can think of. otwincfg and hyper terminal...many different baud rates, flow control, etc. I can't seem to get the PC talking to the unit.

      FYI, I am using a gender changer on the end of my serial cable to hook to the OTm2's serial port.

      Anyone have any ideas?

      Many thanks,

      JOHN

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2009
        They're never shipped 'blank'. If you did have only the bootloader
        present, otwincfg would automatically ask you for a file to load.

        Each unit is checked out in terminal mode prior to final assembly, with
        the sensor readings, RX performance, and TX levels checked. After final
        assembly they're powered up again to check for the proper LED start
        sequence (which also indicates that the firmware is starting OK) to make
        sure nothing got shorted out by the case.

        What you might be seeing is a comm error, maybe a bad USB adapter or
        something. It's possible for the firmware to become corrupted and not
        work until it's reloaded, but it should still show a build number.

        Scott

        Gerry Graff wrote:

        > I sort of ran into the same thing. If the computer sees it, and the
        > configuration program opens, if you do not see a Firmware number at the
        > top of the configuration, then run update firmware. In other words,
        > with mine, the unit came "loaded" blank, and I had to use the update
        > firmware to get to a starting point to program the unit. After that,
        > all was fine. I haven't seen this documented elsewhere.
        >

        > Gerry
        > W5LCY
        >
        > On Jun 30, 2009, at 8:51 AM, kc0nro wrote:
        >

        >> All,
        >> Just got my OTm2 last night and am still trying to get connected to
        >> the booger and configure it...
        >>
        >> I have tried every thing I can think of. otwincfg and hyper
        >> terminal...many different baud rates, flow control, etc. I can't seem
        >> to get the PC talking to the unit.
        >>
        >> FYI, I am using a gender changer on the end of my serial cable to hook
        >> to the OTm2's serial port.
        >>
        >> Anyone have any ideas?
        >>
        >> Many thanks,
        >>
        >> JOHN

      • dondorgram
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2009
          John:

          You indicated that you used a gender changer, but did you also use a null modem? One is required.

          Graham VE6GW

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kc0nro" <jmcreynolds@...> wrote:

          > All,
          > Just got my OTm2 last night and am still trying to get connected to the booger and configure it...
          >
          > I have tried every thing I can think of. otwincfg and hyper terminal...many different baud rates, flow control, etc. I can't seem to get the PC talking to the unit.
          >
          > FYI, I am using a gender changer on the end of my serial cable to hook to the OTm2's serial port.
          >
          > Anyone have any ideas?
          >
          > Many thanks,
          >
          > JOHN

        • kc0nro
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2009
            Thanks for the input fellas. I scrounged up a null modem cable and it worked just fine! Sorry for the dumb question...

            I hope to have it all together and on the air this evening. The rig is a Yaesu 1500 and I can't wait to see how this thing plays with the Nuvi 350!

            73 and many thanks,

            JOHN, KC0NRO