Re: [tracker2] Re: all in one tracker?

  • Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 22, 2009
      Scott Miller wrote:
      The whole connector won't go through, and the knurled part fits tightly.
      I made a slit in the inner liner and pushed the BNC F-F through from the

      I just cut a whole square of liner away from the connector area on the
      UK 207 boxes I'm using.  I also wanted an external DB9, so that'd be
      tough to do in this configuration.

      You could put an external DE9 on the side of the box and use a ribbon cable inside the box.

      Or, an external 4-pin jack like Yaesu uses on their HTs might be lower profile.
      That would give you ground, Port A TX/RX, and one more line.   I'm considering
      a regular 3-pin stereo jack for ground,and port A TRX.

      I need to find the right configuration for charging the battery externally and disconnecting the rest.
      These Switchcraft parts have a switch in them, which I think breaks the ground connection so it will work in an insulated case.
      http://www.switchcraft.com/products/jack-120.html
      http://octopart.com/info/Switchcraft/712A
      http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=281842
      Similar part here:
      http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102491

      The Switchcraft SC1049-ND has an optional flip-cover 2C1072, but it's expensive (>$5):
      http://octopart.com/info/Switchcraft/2C1072

      I'm assuming that a lot of users will want an external antenna.  I'd
      really like to be able to offer one that works well clipped to a backpack.

      In a backpack, the case could be mounted vertically, and the BNC antenna you supply works fine.
      It's only when the case is mounted horizontally that the 90 degree bend is necessary.
      So I'd say the vertical configuration for antenna is solved.

      Leigh/WA5ZNU