Re: [tracker2] EMAIL-2 Shortcuts

  • Tim Cunningham
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2009
      Some IGates need a position report from the sending station to know their
      location. Then, the IGate needs to remember that station (some have user
      configurable time limits to store that data). Generally, this is a key setup
      for IGates that some overlook. Unless my local IGate gets a position report
      from the sending station it will not send the ACK from the EMAIL or EMAIL-2
      servers back to the sending station since it may have no idea where the
      station is located. Basically, if your station does not beacon a position
      report, do not expect to get an ACK back through an IGate. UIView does this
      as well as others. An IGate operator must generally set how many RF hops
      away to allow data to come back through the Internet. This becomes another
      blocking factor if it is set for 2 hops and the sending station is 3 hops
      away. It does sound a little contradictory that if the IGate hears a station
      within 2 hops and it has no location beacon for the sending station that it
      still will not allow the ACK from the Internet to travel back out the RF
      port. That concept is a little perplexing. but that is how it works for at
      least UIView. I have tested this theory several times.

      Having said this, it is a good practice to transmit a beacon packet. Make
      sure it was heard and a digipeater responded. Then, send message to a
      station or a server. You might find this will make ACK's a little more
      successful in getting back to your station.

      73's,
      Tim - N8DEU