Re: [tracker2] Moving targets on the Nuvi 350

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2009
      Gerry W5LCY wrote...

      > I know that getting the turn-by-turn for a moving object on the Nuvi
      > will not automatically update as the 'whatever" moves. So far it seems
      > the only reliable way to get the target updated is to erase all the
      > previous "favorites" then wait for the new position to appear. Is
      > there an easier way to do this?

      There's no need to delete all "favourites". Just cancel the current "go
      to" and click on the current location of the APRS station (waypoint) and
      select "go" to the new location. That can be on the map or in the
      "favourites" list. You can manually delete the old waypoint at the old "
      go to" location.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
    • wb0vhb
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2009
        Maybe I don't understand your question?

        My T2 with a 350 will track other moving APRS stations on the map.

        The only time I erase all way points (favorites) is the first thing in the morning before I pull out of the driveway. Then I get a fresh display instead of left over points from the night before.

        For the money, you can't beat the Tracker2 and Nuvi 350 combination. I think I am the envy of the local APRS group. All of them are just spitting out their coordinates and don't have anyway to see what is going on around them.

        Randy
        WB0VHB

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "w5lcy" <Gerry@...> wrote:

        > I know that getting the turn-by-turn for a moving object on the Nuvi will not automatically update as the 'whatever" moves.
        >
        > So far it seems the only reliable way to get the target updated is to erase all the previous "favorites" then wait for the new position to appear.
        >
        > Is there an easier way to do this?
        >
        > Gerry

      • Curtis J. Bidulock
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2009
          I like your concept of deleting all way points before starting off for the day, to ensure you only see current waypoints. When you delete the waypoints, it wants to delete everything including my POI that are imported. Does anyone know of a way to only delete the waypoints and keep the POI intact?

          My T2 with a 350 will track other moving APRS stations on the map.

          The only time I erase all way points (favorites) is the first thing in the morning before I pull out of the driveway. Then I get a fresh display instead of left over points from the night before.

          For the money, you can't beat the Tracker2 and Nuvi 350 combination. I think I am the envy of the local APRS group. All of them are just spitting out their coordinates and don't have anyway to see what is going on around them.

          Randy
          WB0VHB

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "w5lcy" <Gerry@...> wrote:

          > I know that getting the turn-by-turn for a moving object on the Nuvi will not automatically update as the 'whatever" moves.
          >
          > So far it seems the only reliable way to get the target updated is to erase all the previous "favorites" then wait for the new position to appear.
          >
          > Is there an easier way to do this?
          >
          > Gerry

        • Joe Krout
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2009
            I usually clear my Favorites each morning as well, so this trick has
            been of real use to me.

            I use the Garmin POI Loader to create a list of "Favorites" such as
            Home, my parents, family, along with directories of special interest
            sites such as weather spotter locations, or special event check points
            in a POI file.

            If you store POIs in the Nuvi memory, they get whacked along with the
            the Favorites created from the Tracker2.

            The trick is to save the POI file to a SD card in the Nuvi, after you
            save the file to the Nuvi take out the card and enable the write protect
            tab. Now when you select Delete All, you will still have your non-APRS
            sites in the POI file. When you select a POI, it is copied into the
            Favorite list.
            Joe W0PWJ

            On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 11:53 -0600, Curtis J. Bidulock wrote:

            > I like your concept of deleting all way points before starting off for
            > the day, to ensure you only see current waypoints. When you delete the
            > waypoints, it wants to delete everything including my POI that are
            > imported. Does anyone know of a way to only delete the waypoints and
            > keep the POI intact?

          • wb0vhb
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
              I have my hand raised in favor of this option. That would be neat!
              Randy

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2009
                It's on my to-do list.

                Scott

                Tom Twist wrote:
                > Scott
                >
                > Now the T2 sends the comment line to the Garmin, together with coordinates.
                >
                > Can you implement a time stamp option, that is sent to the Garmin,
                > together with the comment? This will allow us to see how old a received
                > position is. DHM format would be nice.
                >
                > thanks
                > Tom
              • Tom Twist