Re: OT+ and a Nuvi350, are they compatable?

  • captnkliegle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
      OK found mt answer in Message #5961, but does anyone know why?
      Advertised as being compatable:

      The OpenTracker+, successor to the original OpenTracker, is our entry-level APRS tracker, and is available assembled or in kit form. Despite the low price, it's still one of the most advanced APRS trackers available, with support for NMEA waypoint output, SmartBeaconing™, low-voltage inhibit feature, and on-board temperature and voltage telemetry

      Kriss
      KA1GJU

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
        The OT1+ doesn't work with the nuvi - there's not enough memory to
        support the Garmin binary protocol. The best you could manage would be
        to hook it up with a GTRANS cable (currently out of stock), but the two
        would cost about as much as a T2.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
          I don't see what in that paragraph implies compatibility with the nuvi...

          Scott

          captnkliegle wrote:

          > OK found mt answer in Message #5961, but does anyone know why?
          > Advertised as being compatable:
          >
          > The OpenTracker+, successor to the original OpenTracker, is our
          > entry-level APRS tracker, and is available assembled or in kit form.
          > Despite the low price, it's still one of the most advanced APRS trackers
          > available, with support for NMEA waypoint output, SmartBeaconing™,
          > low-voltage inhibit feature, and on-board temperature and voltage telemetry
          >
          > Kriss
          > KA1GJU

          > "captnkliegle" <kliegle@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I posted on the OT groups as well, but some folks are here and not
          > there w/the OT+.
          > >
          > > Anyway, having issues w/OT+ and Nuvi350. Everything works 100% with
          > an OT2. When I try the OT+, no flashing LED for GPS signals (works on
          > OT2), no response to asking MYCALL (--MYCALL works on OT2). If I hook up
          > ADS-GM1 GPS, the LED responds properly and OT+ works properly. If I
          > force a TX, it has a valid position in beacon.
          > >
          > > Is this operator error or does the OT+ not work w/Nuvi?
          > >
          > > Baffled in NH...
          > > Kriss KA1GJU

        • captnkliegle
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
            I thought " with support for NMEA waypoint output " meant NEMA output to Nuvi350... that's all. No harm Scott, I have them both, but I will have to inform other that are going to be purchasing soon...if not already.
            Thanks for the reply!

            Kriss

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
              Well, it'll send NMEA out to anything, but the nuvi doesn't speak NMEA...

              Scott