T2-135 now completely out of control

  • sam_n1nap
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
      Now this doesnt work at all.

      I set it to WIDE and 1 hop and now it's gone berserk, transmitting over and over.

      Ive restarted the rig, restarted the computer multiple times.

      I can't even get the T2-135 to flash anymore from file, web or write new commands to it.

      I keep getting the error that otcfg.exe can't open the serial port and now I cnat use Hyperterm either.

      How do I get out of this please ?

      i have one in my car but this is using the newest FW build 57540 or whatever.

      Thanks
      Matt
    • sam_n1nap
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
        Oh if this helps, I got a "cant write to block error" and then otcfg.exe froze.

        Then it went nuts as described, beaconing every random amount of seconds. I think I read on here last year about these going brain dead ?

        Thanks
        Matt WV1K

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
          Sorry if this is a rehash, but here's exactly the procedure I'd go
          through for this:

          Turn off the radio
          Reboot the PC
          Start otwincfg, check 'disable turbo'
          Click 'connect'
          Turn on the radio
          If it connects, erase and reload firmware

          Let me know what happens when you try exactly that sequence.

          Scott

          sam_n1nap wrote:

          > Now this doesnt work at all.
          >
          > I set it to WIDE and 1 hop and now it's gone berserk, transmitting over
          > and over.
          >
          > Ive restarted the rig, restarted the computer multiple times.
          >
          > I can't even get the T2-135 to flash anymore from file, web or write new
          > commands to it.
          >
          > I keep getting the error that otcfg.exe can't open the serial port and
          > now I cnat use Hyperterm either.
          >
          > How do I get out of this please ?
          >
          > i have one in my car but this is using the newest FW build 57540 or
          > whatever.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Matt

        • sam_n1nap
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
            Yes, did my research, ha.

            It just sits and sits.

            If I leave it for a few minutes the radio suddenly goes into transmit with no audio, just a carrier.

            Matt WV1K

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
              You forgot the
              [
              Stand on your head and burn dried chicken gizzards.
              ]
              step!

              James

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
                I think you also need to face Alinco headquarters in Osaka while you do
                it...

                James Ewen wrote:

                > You forgot the
                > [
                > Stand on your head and burn dried chicken gizzards.
                > ]
                > step!
                >
                > James
                >
                > On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
                > > Sorry if this is a rehash, but here's exactly the procedure I'd go
                > > through for this:
                > >
                > > Turn off the radio
                > > Reboot the PC
                > > Start otwincfg, check 'disable turbo'
                > > Click 'connect'
                > > Turn on the radio
                > > If it connects, erase and reload firmware
                > >
                > > Let me know what happens when you try exactly that sequence.
                > >
                > > Scott
                > >
                > > sam_n1nap wrote:
                > >>

                > >> Now this doesnt work at all.
                > >>
                > >> I set it to WIDE and 1 hop and now it's gone berserk, transmitting over
                > >> and over.
                > >>
                > >> Ive restarted the rig, restarted the computer multiple times.
                > >>
                > >> I can't even get the T2-135 to flash anymore from file, web or write new
                > >> commands to it.
                > >>
                > >> I keep getting the error that otcfg.exe can't open the serial port and
                > >> now I cnat use Hyperterm either.
                > >>
                > >> How do I get out of this please ?
                > >>
                > >> i have one in my car but this is using the newest FW build 57540 or
                > >> whatever.
                > >>
                > >> Thanks
                > >> Matt

              • Dan Zubey
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
                  bit off topic, but that reminds me...

                  I remember as a kid working on an ungrounded clock with neon bulbs in
                  it. It would flicker and go out when I walked towards it from a certain
                  direction...

                  I thought it was possessed at the time.

                  -
                  Dan Zubey
                  Indahmar Technology
                  http://www.indahmar.com

                  On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 20:05 -0700, Scott Miller wrote:
                  > I think you also need to face Alinco headquarters in Osaka while you do
                  > it...
                  >
                  > James Ewen wrote:
                  > >

                  > > You forgot the
                  > > [
                  > > Stand on your head and burn dried chicken gizzards.
                  > > ]
                  > > step!
                  > >
                  > > James
                  > >
                  > > On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                  > > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
                  > > > Sorry if this is a rehash, but here's exactly the procedure I'd go
                  > > > through for this:
                  > > >
                  > > > Turn off the radio
                  > > > Reboot the PC
                  > > > Start otwincfg, check 'disable turbo'
                  > > > Click 'connect'
                  > > > Turn on the radio
                  > > > If it connects, erase and reload firmware
                  > > >
                  > > > Let me know what happens when you try exactly that sequence.
                  > > >
                  > > > Scott

                • sam_n1nap
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
                    Well hook it up to a Daiwa meter. A well informed ham told me they won't repair meters...

                    Matt WV1K

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
                      I ran into that with a neon bulb in an emergency light when I was a kid.
                      I finally determined that it was a function of how much light was
                      falling on the bulb. I figured it just wasn't getting quite enough
                      juice to excite the gas, and that a little extra kick from outside
                      photons was needed. I don't know if that's true, but it fit with what I
                      knew of quantum mechanics in the 5th grade. =] (Which incidentally is
                      only slightly less than I know now...)

                      Could be you were casting a shadow on the bulb when you approached it
                      from that direction.

                      Scott

                      Dan Zubey wrote:

                      > bit off topic, but that reminds me...
                      >
                      > I remember as a kid working on an ungrounded clock with neon bulbs in
                      > it. It would flicker and go out when I walked towards it from a certain
                      > direction...
                      >
                      > I thought it was possessed at the time.
                      >
                      > -
                      > Dan Zubey
                      > Indahmar Technology
                      > http://www.indahmar.com <http://www.indahmar.com>
                      >
                      > On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 20:05 -0700, Scott Miller wrote:
                      > > I think you also need to face Alinco headquarters in Osaka while you do
                      > > it...
                      > >
                      > > James Ewen wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > You forgot the
                      > > > [
                      > > > Stand on your head and burn dried chicken gizzards.
                      > > > ]
                      > > > step!
                      > > >
                      > > > James
                      > > >
                      > > > On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                      > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>

                      > transmitting over

                      > write new

                      > port and

                    • Garrett Sloan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
                        Weak or old neon bulbs that are "just" shy of firing or are just shy of their firing voltage will act photosensitively. a couple of additional photons hitting the bulb from another light is enough to kick it off.
                        I also read before you can use a neon bulb as a "poor mans geiger detector" from what I remember (from one of my dads old Circuit Cookbooks I stole), painting the bulb black, then applying a voltage to the bulb just under the firing voltage I believe. Then passing electons or gamma rays will stimulate the radioactive isotopes in the lamp, changing its resistance, and its current draw which can be measured.

                        As to approching the lamp and having it light, if you wern't casting a shadow, it could also be the Miller effect, same with a "weak" neon tube, or one just below its firing voltage, moving around the bulb or placing a hand near it increases the capacitance around it, lowing its breakdown voltage and voila!

                        Now I wanna build a nixi clock to go with the flickering neon candle bulbs...

                        Garrett
                        VE6RKY

                        > I ran into that with a neon bulb in an emergency light when I was a kid.
                        > I finally determined that it was a function of how much light was
                        > falling on the bulb. I figured it just wasn't getting quite enough
                        > juice to excite the gas, and that a little extra kick from outside
                        > photons was needed. I don't know if that's true, but it fit with what I
                        > knew of quantum mechanics in the 5th grade. =] (Which incidentally is
                        > only slightly less than I know now...)
                        >
                        > Could be you were casting a shadow on the bulb when you approached it
                        > from that direction.
                        >
                        > Scott
                        >
                        > Dan Zubey wrote:
                        > >

                        > > bit off topic, but that reminds me...
                        > >
                        > > I remember as a kid working on an ungrounded clock with neon bulbs in
                        > > it. It would flicker and go out when I walked towards it from a certain
                        > > direction...
                        > >
                        > > I thought it was possessed at the time.
                        > >
                        > > -
                        > > Dan Zubey
                        > > Indahmar Technology
                        > > http://www.indahmar.com <http://www.indahmar.com>
                        > >
                        > > On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 20:05 -0700, Scott Miller wrote:
                        > > > I think you also need to face Alinco headquarters in Osaka while you do
                        > > > it...

                        > > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>

                        > > transmitting over

                        > > write new

                        > > port and

                      • Dan Zubey
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
                          Oh, I'm sure it was that the clock was ungrounded and probably plugged
                          in backwards, the bulb was degassed a little, and was just on the verge
                          of excitation. When I got close enough, I changed the electrical
                          environment around it and it got enough of a charge around the glass to
                          change phase.

                          But boy..when you're 7, first thing you think is it's got demons.

                          -
                          Dan Zubey
                          Indahmar Technology
                          http://www.indahmar.com

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 3, 2009
                            On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Garrett Sloan <spam1@...> wrote:

                            > As to approching the lamp and having it light, if you wern't casting a shadow, it could also be the Miller effect

                            Cool, Scott has an effect named after him... and you said you weren't
                            into Quantum Mechanics!

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 3, 2009
                              Ok, I definitely would like to check that out here then.

                              Scott