XASTIR tnc-startup files?

  • john
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
      Has anyone worked up any OT2M specific startup/stop files for XASTIR?

      Sorry if it is in a thread somewhere - my search was non-productive.

      Thanks in advance,

      K0JDD
      John
    • Curt, WE7U
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
        On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, john wrote:

        > Has anyone worked up any OT2M specific startup/stop files for XASTIR?
        >
        > Sorry if it is in a thread somewhere - my search was non-productive.

        Use KISS mode.

        --
        Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Curt, WE7U" <archer@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, john wrote:
          >
          > > Has anyone worked up any OT2M specific startup/stop files for XASTIR?
          > >
          > > Sorry if it is in a thread somewhere - my search was non-productive.
          >
          > Use KISS mode.
          >
          > --
          > Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
          > http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
          > Lotto: A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
          > Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
          > The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!"

          Yes, I understand to set the OT2M to KISS.
          So do I just leave the XASTIR TNC config items for start/stop blank?
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
            > Yes, I understand to set the OT2M to KISS.
            > So do I just leave the XASTIR TNC config items for start/stop blank?

            Yes, unless you want to set up Xastir to automatically return the OT2m
            to normal operation when it exits.

            Scott
          • Curt, WE7U
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
              On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, john wrote:

              > Yes, I understand to set the OT2M to KISS.
              > So do I just leave the XASTIR TNC config items for start/stop blank?

              What Scott said... Plus don't check the box for "Init KISS mode on
              startup": That's for a specific TNC available in Europe.

              You can run a KISS TNC in Xastir via a "Serial KISS TNC" interface,
              or via an "AX25 TNC" interface. We have new! Wiki pages on the
              Xastir.org page describing how to set up for either. Comments
              related to improving those two pages are most welcome.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
                On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                > On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, john wrote:
                >
                >> Yes, I understand to set the OT2M to KISS.
                >> So do I just leave the XASTIR TNC config items for start/stop blank?
                >
                > What Scott said... Plus don't check the box for "Init KISS mode on
                > startup": That's for a specific TNC available in Europe.
                >
                > You can run a KISS TNC in Xastir via a "Serial KISS TNC" interface,
                > or via an "AX25 TNC" interface. We have new! Wiki pages on the
                > Xastir.org page describing how to set up for either. Comments
                > related to improving those two pages are most welcome.

                To be clear, the new pages are the soundmodem page and the ax.25
                page, but I think the two methods for setting up a KISS TNC are
                documented between those two:

                http://www.xastir.org
                -> XASTIR Documentation
                -> HowTos

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 7, 2009
                  UPDATE: Thanks for all the input.

                  I successfully hacked my way through it and then created some notes on what I did.

                  The notes are located in the files section under the name

                  73 de K0JDD