T2-135 as digi while running UI-VIEW32

  • sam_n1nap
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hello

      I have a few questions before I bang my head against the wall too much.

      If one runs UI-VIEW32 can the T2-135 still send its own beacons while in KISS mode ?

      Can the T2-135 still digi on its own ? I set up UIVIEW32 successfully and I set up T2-135 with nothing running as a digi successfully but when I went for a spin with both running, the digi was not beaconing and no longer digipeated but the household appearance was fine as WV1K.

      In other words can WV1K using UI-VIEW and a house icon etc come from the same T2-135 sending a beacon with a green star, as WV1K-1 and a WIDE1-1 ?

      Hope this was clear. I thought I read that all could come out of one box, but recent posts make me think there is an issue since people have told others to run UIVIEWS32 only, or it cant be done.

      73
      Matt WV1K
    • Dale Seaburg
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
        Matt,

        (Unless Scott has worked some magic) By definition, a KISS tnc is very Simple in that it does *only* what it's told to do.  That in itself would negate the simultaneous digi functionality.  Second, by definition, a KISS tnc has no handshaking to control comm flow with the PC.  Normally, with no flow control, there would be no way to tell the PC to hold off because the T2 needs to digi or beacon.  Of course, Scott may have done both to accomplish dual functionality while being a KISS tnc.  I'll differ to Scott for the final answer.

        73 - Dale.  KG5LT

        On Jun 1, 2009, at 7:49 PM, sam_n1nap wrote:

[...]

        Find wholesome recipes
        and more. Go Moms Go!
        Support Group
        Share your weight-
        loss successes.

      • Jason KG4WSV
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
          On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Dale Seaburg <kg5lt@...> wrote:

          > Matt,
          > (Unless Scott has worked some magic) By definition, a KISS tnc is very
          > Simple in that it does *only* what it's told to do.

          Not quite.

          KISS is a very simple (and standard) _interface_ to a TNC. Some TNCs
          (TNC-X, some firmware versions for other TNCs) are indeed capable of
          only KISS TNC functionality.

          The standard T2, on the other hand, can handily function as a tracker,
          digi, and TNC interface to an APRS app on a computer. I suspect the
          T2-135 can do the same, within its limitations (available serial
          ports?).

          -Jason
          kg4wsv
        • Bob Burns W9RXR
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2009
            At 08:49 PM 6/1/2009, sam_n1nap wrote:
            >If one runs UI-VIEW32 can the T2-135 still send its own beacons
            >while in KISS mode ?

            Yes, I've run in this configuration several times in the past. GPS
            connected to Port B in NMEA mode, PC running UI-View connected via
            PC's serial port to port A in KISS mode, T2-135 beaconing using its
            internal routines, T2-135 and UI-View configured with different
            SSIDs, UI-View configured to beacon on a very long interval, UI-View
            sending objects every 30 minutes and sending messages as needed. In
            order to get GPS data to the PC so UI-View knows where it is, I
            connect a second GPS receiver to the PC's USB port via an RS-232 to
            USB converter. On the PC, I run GPSGate in order to make the GPS data
            available to multiple apps such as UI-View and TopoUSA. I haven't
            tried splitting the output of one GPS to feed both the T2-135 and the
            PC simultaneously, but theoretically that should work.

            I can't answer the rest of your questions.

            Bob...
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2009
              Actually if you've got BMODE set to FLOW, it *will* try to use
              handshaking. There's just no guarantee the client will honor it.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2009
                > The standard T2, on the other hand, can handily function as a tracker,
                > digi, and TNC interface to an APRS app on a computer. I suspect the
                > T2-135 can do the same, within its limitations (available serial
                > ports?).

                Right. I think the only limitations are that the command console and
                configuration interface only exist on port A. Everything else will run
                simultaneously. Without handshaking you may occasionally drop outbound
                packets, though.

                Scott
              • sam_n1nap
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2009
                  Is there a way to use UI-VIEW32 without KISS ? Is there another program like APRSPOINT that doesn't use KISS and so gets around what I think I remember you said was a limited KISS capability a few months ago ?

                  Thanks
                  Matt

                  > > The standard T2, on the other hand, can handily function as a tracker,
                  > > digi, and TNC interface to an APRS app on a computer. I suspect the
                  > > T2-135 can do the same, within its limitations (available serial
                  > > ports?).
                  >
                  > Right. I think the only limitations are that the command console and
                  > configuration interface only exist on port A. Everything else will run
                  > simultaneously. Without handshaking you may occasionally drop outbound
                  > packets, though.
                  >
                  > Scott

                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 2, 2009
                    Matt N1NAP wrote...

                    > Is there a way to use UI-VIEW32 without KISS? Is there another program
                    > like APRSPOINT that doesn't use KISS and so gets around what I think I
                    > remember you said was a limited KISS capability a few months ago ?

                    UI-View can be used in "host mode none" but seeing as how you are
                    asking on the Tracker 2 list, I assume you mean with a Tracker 2 (or
                    T2-135 or T2-301 etc.). They should be in KISS mode to use with UI-View.

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH