open tomtom

  • rf4burn
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2009
      http://www.opentom.org/Main_Page A linux gps unit intresting but check out these linux applications http://tuxmobil.org/linux_gps_navigation_applications.html#ToC29 I have thought about a linux version of the Nuvi for sometime but the development of software is beyond me however with the amount of packages avaliable assembling a package to work would seem to be possiable -I have a huge collection of links and if intrest is shown in the topic will post some more. Stu
    • ke7kus
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2009
        I'm definitely interested in any other links you have to OpenTom-based GPS projects, particularly any that clearly document real-time data streams into and out of a Tom. I wandered the Wiki for a while, and found some helpful stuff, but if you've got anything else, please post it up here.

        This may be the long-term answer to the problems associated with Garmin's FMI. At the very least, I envision fixing some of the messaging issues (most notably the "stuck in the Outbox" problem) associated with FMI, as well as solving the "breadcrumb" problem associated with all the Garmins except the Nuvi 350. The ability to code some of the "heavy lifting" into the Tom-side software could lighten some of the code in the Tracker2 firmware and make room to display data like APRS bulletins and NWS alerts, as well as create APRS objects, an internal address book for APRS e-mail and messages, user-created preset APRS messages, etc.

        This might be the summer project I've been looking for...

        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2009
          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "rf4burn" <vk4sz@...> wrote:

          > http://www.opentom.org/Main_Page A linux gps unit intresting but check out these linux applications http://tuxmobil.org/linux_gps_navigation_applications.html#ToC29 I have thought about a linux version of the Nuvi for sometime but the development of software is beyond me however with the amount of packages avaliable assembling a package to work would seem to be possiable -I have a huge collection of links and if intrest is shown in the topic will post some more. Stu

          OK a couple of people intrested so here are a few if I get more people asking I will post more
          http://www.ibiblio.org/fplan/Aviation-HOWTO/Aviation-HOWTO-8.html
          http://jhau.maliwi.de/linux/gpssw.html
          http://www.gpsdrive.de/
          http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/gps/
        • rf4burn
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "rf4burn" <vk4sz@...> wrote:

            > http://www.opentom.org/Main_Page A linux gps unit intresting but check out these linux applications http://tuxmobil.org/linux_gps_navigation_applications.html#ToC29 I have thought about a linux version of the Nuvi for sometime but the development of software is beyond me however with the amount of packages avaliable assembling a package to work would seem to be possiable -I have a huge collection of links and if intrest is shown in the topic will post some more. Stu

            more for those intrested in open TomTom http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=gpl builing -be aware that due to the recent TomTom / Microsoft law suit (see google if you dont know) that I strongly suggest that any source code that is avaliale now is downloaded as some features of the TomTom have to be removed in 2 years
          • rf4burn
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "rf4burn" <vk4sz@...> wrote:

              > http://www.opentom.org/Main_Page A linux gps unit intresting but check out these linux applications http://tuxmobil.org/linux_gps_navigation_applications.html#ToC29 I have thought about a linux version of the Nuvi for sometime but the development of software is beyond me however with the amount of packages avaliable assembling a package to work would seem to be possiable -I have a huge collection of links and if intrest is shown in the topic will post some more. Stu

              For those that think the TomTom may require building a complete fleet managment system TomTom already has one -Using gsm though http://investors.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=319510 and some open source work on an event logger has been on going for sometime http://web.tiscali.it/macri/Event_Logger/ also this has been about for sometime see here http://schiralli.wordpress.com/2008/09/08/turn-your-tom-tom-gps-into-a-data-logger-tracking-device/ for those wishing to play with this you may also find this useful http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=16076
              I hope this is useful to someone or at least intresting. Stu