Re: [tracker2] Nuvi350 memory full... help!!!

  • Barry L. Lankford
    Message 1 of 21 , May 27, 2009
      Several times in the past I've tried to work up some enthusiasm for a
      feature for any trackers that also receive, decode and display positions as
      waypoints, such as Tracker2 and TT4, but have had only limited success. My
      idea was to filter incoming position reports, primarily by callsign/SSID,
      and only allowing those appearing in a list to be sent on to the GPS as
      waypoints. This feature would be similar to the LCALLS and BUDLIST
      commands of a traditional TNC-2. Alternative methods of filtering APRS
      reports might be by "moving vs fixed" or distance or APRS symbol.

      It would only be a partial solution to the problem you've experienced, but
      it would be very helpful to some of us, such as balloon trackers, showing
      only the balloon and the chase cars. Unfortunately, some trackers simply
      didn't have sufficient free memory available to hold the LCALLS list.
      Also, this capability would probably not help those who want to see all
      APRS activity on their GPS's screens. So, it's not surprising most folks
      weren't as enthusiastic about this feature as I was.

      Also, I've been told that the capability of an outside device, such as a
      receiving tracker, to control waypoints is severely limited. Apparently
      the only thing a tracker can do is to make waypoints, but it can't delete
      them either individually or all at once. Apparently this can't even be
      done in Garmin's proprietary mode. In NMEA mode it can't even control
      which icon is used to represent the position report, although that can be
      done in Garmin proprietary mode, and that could help with some GPSes.

      Several replies have suggested ways of dealing with this problem, but I
      think some GPSes allow one variation that I think helps even more. Some
      suggest giving up on keeping personal waypoints on the GPS when using it to
      display APRS waypoints, but what I've done is save my personal waypoints to
      a file on my PC. Then when you fill your waypoint memory and need to clear
      out APRS waypoints, you can simply delete them all, APRS and personal
      alike. Unfortunately, you also lose your personal waypoints until you can
      get to a computer to reload them from the file you've saved, so I've found
      my GPS allows a trick to circumvent that.

      Here's how it works: My GPS, a GPSMAP76CS, allows deletion of waypoints by
      symbol. It also uses the last waypoint symbol chosen in a waypoint edit
      operation as the default waypoint for future waypoint creation (an
      undocumented feature). I choose one particular waypoint symbol and avoid
      using that symbol for any of my personal waypoints. Then, before I connect
      the GPS to a tracker that sends waypoints, I manually enter a new waypoint
      anywhere on the map, and for the symbol for that waypoint, I choose the one
      I've avoided for my personal waypoints. My GPS then begins using that last
      waypoint symbol chosen as the default waypoint for future waypoints. So,
      later on when my waypoint memory gets full, I can delete all APRS waypoints
      by using the "delete waypoints by symbol," and my personal waypoints remain
      unchanged.

      It's a bit of a PITA, but it works (until Garmin changes the default symbol
      "feature" in a firmware update). Also, you must use the NMEA method for
      the tracker to send the waypoint and all your APRS waypoints will have the
      same symbol. One other problem is that it makes it very difficult to save
      a waypoint that you want to keep as a person waypoint. Definitely not a
      great solution, but a little better than most of the alternatives.

      A really good solution for this problem would probably only be possible
      with cooperation from the GPS maker.

      Barry N4MSJ

      ki6tsf wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > After a few months, my Nuvi 350's waypoint memory got full. There are
      > about 400 APRS stations in there, plus 100 personal waypoints. A popup
      > window shows up in the middle of the screen while driving in case a
      > station is heard saying that the memory is full, which is extremely
      > annoying when driving because it covers the map. The maximum number of
      > waypoints on the Nuvi is 500 and I reached it.
      >
      > Unfortunately, the only option is to delete waypoints one by one or to
      > do a factory reset of the unit. Deleting 400 waypoints by hand is not
      > an option.. not only it would take too much time, but they will come
      > back as quickly as they came in. I already deleted a dozen using the
      > Nuvi menu, and those freed positions where filled again within minutes
      > of driving on highway 101.
      >
      > Unfortunately, I was not able to delete entries from the
      > \gpx\current.gpx file that is on the Nuvi by hand editing.
      >
      > In a previous post, (mail #6774) I described how to add waypoints to
      > that file. Well, apparently, it is not possible to delete any! They'll
      > come back after you reboot the Nuvi. I even tried to delete the file
      > completely, and it came back after a reboot...
      >
      > I'm kind of stuck there...
      >
      > It would be great if there was a way to either put those APRS stations
      > in a Ham category and you could delete the entire category at once, or
      > if those APRS waypoints could age and be deleted automatically after a
      > couple of weeks or so... I guess the answer is that it's impossible...
      > Thank you Garmin!
      >
      > Bernard KI6TSF
    • Tom Hayward
      Message 2 of 21 , May 27, 2009
        I'm veering off topic here, but I think we will eventually find the
        solution in an open source GPS. I run the OpenWRT operating system on
        my Linksys router. I hope to one day run something like "OpenGPS" on a
        GPS device.

        Is anyone aware of an open source firmware project for an existing
        GPS, or an open hardware GPS project, with accompanying open software?

        Tom KD7LXL

        On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Barry L. Lankford <BarryL@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >> back as quickly as they came in. I already deleted a dozen using the
        >> Nuvi menu, and those freed positions where filled again within minutes
        >> of driving on highway 101.
        >>
        >> Unfortunately, I was not able to delete entries from the
        >> \gpx\current.gpx file that is on the Nuvi by hand editing.
        >>
        >> In a previous post, (mail #6774) I described how to add waypoints to
        >> that file. Well, apparently, it is not possible to delete any! They'll
        >> come back after you reboot the Nuvi. I even tried to delete the file
        >> completely, and it came back after a reboot...
        >>
        >> I'm kind of stuck there...
        >>
        >> It would be great if there was a way to either put those APRS stations
        >> in a Ham category and you could delete the entire category at once, or
        >> if those APRS waypoints could age and be deleted automatically after a
        >> couple of weeks or so... I guess the answer is that it's impossible...

      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 21 , May 27, 2009
          Bernard KI6TSF wrote...

          > After a few months, my Nuvi 350's waypoint memory got full...

          You could set MAXRANGE to a non zero value to limit the range of
          stations sent as waypoints to the Nuvi. You might still eventually reach
          the limit (500 I believe) but it would help keep the number of waypoints
          down if you were going to delete them one at a time in the future. As
          others pointed out, you could download the whole lot, delete the ones
          you want to get rid of, delete them all in the Nuvi and upload the ones
          you want to keep.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        • Erich J. Ritzmann
          Message 4 of 21 , May 27, 2009
            I hear ya.

            Closest thing to that, I think, will be something like Android...
            though I haven't yet played in that park.

            --
            Erich J. Ritzmann
            Message 5 of 21 , May 27, 2009
              On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Tom Hayward <tom@...> wrote:

              > I'm veering off topic here, but I think we will eventually find the
              > solution in an open source GPS. I run the OpenWRT operating system on
              > my Linksys router. I hope to one day run something like "OpenGPS" on a
              > GPS device.
              >
              > Is anyone aware of an open source firmware project for an existing
              > GPS, or an open hardware GPS project, with accompanying open software?

              This is my ultimate solution as well...

              The problem is that GPS manufacturers look at their devices as being
              sources of information, and not being recipients of information. The
              waypoint upload string was designed to receive occasional data from an
              attached device, and not to be a part of an active tracking network,
              which is what we would like to have.

              Those of us that use the AvMap G5 have been pestering AvMap to include
              a delete icon routine by age, which has been been refused as being
              unable to be implemented.

              I also work hard at trying to convince manufacturers of the merits of
              creating OpenSource versions of their hardware. With the right
              license, the manufacturer could create a base firmware that ships with
              the device, and then others in the community could modify the
              firmware. The manufacturer could pick and choose the best parts of the
              community enhancements to add to their "official" release. You
              wouldn't have to pay a programmer to try and implement all the user
              requests, but simply maintain an official version, while the community
              creates the routines.

              The Kenwood line could probably have some really interesting features
              implemented if the firmware were open source. AvMap would be a great
              platform to allow more APRS integration on. Get Kantronics to open
              source the KPC-3, and we could create smarter digipeaters than we have
              now, and would be able to migrate the thousands of digipeaters with
              minimal cost to the community.

              I understand when manufacturers are reluctant to open source firmware,
              especially when they are looking at releasing a new unit onto the
              market, but the cycle time of these three units is pretty long. I
              don't see much in the way of a replacement for the KPC-3 on the
              horizon.

              I sure lean toward buying hardware that supports open source firmware.

            • Dale J. Robertson
              Message 6 of 21 , May 27, 2009

                apparently some of the Nuvi's are already open source and based on linux.
                https://www.techworld.com.au/article/252174/garmin_releases_source_code_linux-based_gps_devicesDale NV8U

                Message 7 of 21 , May 27, 2009
                  > I also work hard at trying to convince manufacturers of the merits of
                  > creating OpenSource versions of their hardware. With the right
                  > license, the manufacturer could create a base firmware that ships with
                  > the device, and then others in the community could modify the
                  > firmware. The manufacturer could pick and choose the best parts of the

                  I tried this too. One vendor has a wristwatch style GPS receiver with a
                  graphical screen, and I'm convinced that if they opened up the platform
                  that they'd sell a zillion to geeks everywhere, and they probably
                  wouldn't even have to build the tool chain themselves. The manufacturer
                  wouldn't even consider it, though.

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 27, 2009
                    Now that I did not know. Looks like I'm buying yet another test unit.
                    Is there a working build environment out there?

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 21 , May 27, 2009
                      Never mind, the next link down has the toolchain... cool.

                      Scott Miller wrote:

                      > Now that I did not know. Looks like I'm buying yet another test unit.
                      > Is there a working build environment out there?
                      >
                      > Scott
                      >
                      > Dale J. Robertson wrote:
                      > >

                      > > apparently some of the Nuvi's are already open source and based on linux.
                      > >
                      > https://www.techworld.com.au/article/252174/garmin_releases_source_code_linux-based_gps_devicesDale
                      > <https://www.techworld.com.au/article/252174/garmin_releases_source_code_linux-based_gps_devicesDale>
                      >
                      > > NV8U
                      > >
                      > > James Ewen wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Tom Hayward <tom@...
                      > <mailto:tom%40tomh.us>

                      > >> This is my ultimate solution as well...
                      > >>
                      > >> The problem is that GPS manufacturers look at their devices as being
                      > >> sources of information, and not being recipients of information. The
                      > >> waypoint upload string was designed to receive occasional data from an
                      > >> attached device, and not to be a part of an active tracking network,
                      > >> which is what we would like to have.
                      > >>
                      > >> Those of us that use the AvMap G5 have been pestering AvMap to include
                      > >> a delete icon routine by age, which has been been refused as being
                      > >> unable to be implemented.
                      > >>
                      > >> I also work hard at trying to convince manufacturers of the merits of
                      > >> creating OpenSource versions of their hardware. With the right
                      > >> license, the manufacturer could create a base firmware that ships with
                      > >> the device, and then others in the community could modify the
                      > >> firmware. The manufacturer could pick and choose the best parts of the
                      > >> community enhancements to add to their "official" release. You
                      > >> wouldn't have to pay a programmer to try and implement all the user
                      > >> requests, but simply maintain an official version, while the community
                      > >> creates the routines.
                      > >>
                      > >> The Kenwood line could probably have some really interesting features
                      > >> implemented if the firmware were open source. AvMap would be a great
                      > >> platform to allow more APRS integration on. Get Kantronics to open
                      > >> source the KPC-3, and we could create smarter digipeaters than we have
                      > >> now, and would be able to migrate the thousands of digipeaters with
                      > >> minimal cost to the community.
                      > >>
                      > >> I understand when manufacturers are reluctant to open source firmware,
                      > >> especially when they are looking at releasing a new unit onto the
                      > >> market, but the cycle time of these three units is pretty long. I
                      > >> don't see much in the way of a replacement for the KPC-3 on the
                      > >> horizon.
                      > >>
                      > >> I sure lean toward buying hardware that supports open source firmware.
                      > >>
                      > >> James
                      > >> VE6SRV

                    • Garrett Sloan
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 28, 2009
                        I had a GPS Tracking company come in a couple of years ago that basically had built a custom solution on a Windows CE based portable GPS. It was still fairly weak at that time and we didn't pursue it.
                        There are a number of them out there and seems to be a fair number of sites dedicated to hacking them.

                        I've also seen before the Teletype devices, http://www.teletype.com/
                        They're a windows CE powered device, about the same cost as a nuvi and they have developer packs to give "Total control of WorldNav navigation program to provide on fly navigation functions on embedded CE or XP device!"

                        Garrett
                        VE6RKY

                        > > I also work hard at trying to convince manufacturers of the merits of
                        > > creating OpenSource versions of their hardware. With the right
                        > > license, the manufacturer could create a base firmware that ships with
                        > > the device, and then others in the community could modify the
                        > > firmware. The manufacturer could pick and choose the best parts of the
                        >
                        > I tried this too. One vendor has a wristwatch style GPS receiver with a
                        > graphical screen, and I'm convinced that if they opened up the platform
                        > that they'd sell a zillion to geeks everywhere, and they probably
                        > wouldn't even have to build the tool chain themselves. The manufacturer
                        > wouldn't even consider it, though.
                        >
                        > Scott

                      • Fred Hillhouse
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 28, 2009
                          In my GPS V I can delete based on symbol. If I use the NMEA interface, the waypoint added by the GPS is just a little square. I found I could make sure all my personal waypoints are any but the single little square. I haven't played with the deleting since I have change to Garmin' mode.

                          So, can something like this be done with the Nuvi?

                          Best regards,
                          Fred

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 28, 2009
                            Sounds like an ultra mobile laptop with a mouse GPS running some sort of map software. Xastir probably fits the bill. ;)

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 28, 2009
                              I've got a CE-based unit kicking around here somewhere, and I can get
                              those relatively cheap. I'll have to see what I can find on hacking it.
                              The Garmin Linux units are my first priority, though.

                              Scott

                              Garrett Sloan wrote:

                              > I had a GPS Tracking company come in a couple of years ago that
                              > basically had built a custom solution on a Windows CE based portable
                              > GPS. It was still fairly weak at that time and we didn't pursue it.
                              > There are a number of them out there and seems to be a fair number of
                              > sites dedicated to hacking them.
                              >
                              > I've also seen before the Teletype devices, http://www.teletype.com/
                              > <http://www.teletype.com/>
                              > They're a windows CE powered device, about the same cost as a nuvi and
                              > they have developer packs to give "Total control of WorldNav navigation
                              > program to provide on fly navigation functions on embedded CE or XP device!"
                              >
                              > Garrett
                              > VE6RKY

                              > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > I also work hard at trying to convince manufacturers of the merits of
                              > > > creating OpenSource versions of their hardware. With the right
                              > > > license, the manufacturer could create a base firmware that ships with
                              > > > the device, and then others in the community could modify the
                              > > > firmware. The manufacturer could pick and choose the best parts of the
                              > >
                              > > I tried this too. One vendor has a wristwatch style GPS receiver with a
                              > > graphical screen, and I'm convinced that if they opened up the platform
                              > > that they'd sell a zillion to geeks everywhere, and they probably
                              > > wouldn't even have to build the tool chain themselves. The manufacturer
                              > > wouldn't even consider it, though.
                              > >
                              > > Scott

                            • Brian Webster
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 28, 2009
                                I wonder if you can get this aprs client running on the CE based units?

                                Thank You,
                                Brian N2KGC

                                Garrett Sloan wrote:

                                > I had a GPS Tracking company come in a couple of years ago that
                                > basically had built a custom solution on a Windows CE based portable
                                > GPS. It was still fairly weak at that time and we didn't pursue it.
                                > There are a number of them out there and seems to be a fair number of
                                > sites dedicated to hacking them.
                                >
                                > I've also seen before the Teletype devices, http://www.teletype .com/
                                > <http://www.teletype .com/>
                                > They're a windows CE powered device, about the same cost as a nuvi and
                                > they have developer packs to give "Total control of WorldNav navigation
                                > program to provide on fly navigation functions on embedded CE or XP device!"
                                >
                                > Garrett
                                > VE6RKY
                                >
                                > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com <mailto:tracker2% 40yahoogroups. com>,
                                > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > I also work hard at trying to convince manufacturers of the merits of
                                > > > creating OpenSource versions of their hardware. With the right
                                > > > license, the manufacturer could create a base firmware that ships with
                                > > > the device, and then others in the community could modify the
                                > > > firmware. The manufacturer could pick and choose the best parts of the
                                > >
                                > > I tried this too. One vendor has a wristwatch style GPS receiver with a
                                > > graphical screen, and I'm convinced that if they opened up the platform
                                > > that they'd sell a zillion to geeks everywhere, and they probably
                                > > wouldn't even have to build the tool chain themselves. The manufacturer
                                > > wouldn't even consider it, though.
                                > >
                                > > Scott

                              • Keith VE7GDH
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 28, 2009
                                  Fred (N7FMH?) wrote...

                                  > In my GPS V I can delete based on symbol...
                                  > So, can something like this be done with the Nuvi?

                                  Not on the Nuvi 350. You can delete a selected waypoint or all of them.
                                  The only practical solution (right now) when you have more than a few
                                  waypoints you want to keep while deleting a large number of others is to
                                  download them to a computer, delete the unwanted ones there, and then
                                  re-upload them to the GPS. When I first connected a Nuvi to a T2-135, I
                                  had MAXRANGE 0. It was fun for a while, but in a few days, it was
                                  full. It was easy to delete them all, but now that I have a handful of
                                  waypoints that I want to keep, I keep MAXRANGE down to something
                                  like 20-30. It makes it a doable task to then go through and manually
                                  delete the unwanted ones one by one... at least for me.

                                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                • Fred Hillhouse
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 28, 2009
                                    I sort of figured that was the issue. I did the same motions with my V until I stumbled upon the waypoint symbol option.

                                    I have to say I am looking forward to the developments for the Linux GPS! I work for a company that has built its business on niche markets. I can see Argent getting swamped with orders. Hmm, should I order mine now?

                                    Best regards,
                                    Fred

                                    > In my GPS V I can delete based on symbol...
                                    > So, can something like this be done with the Nuvi?

                                    Not on the Nuvi 350. You can delete a selected waypoint or all of them.
                                    The only practical solution (right now) when you have more than a few
                                    waypoints you want to keep while deleting a large number of others is to
                                    download them to a computer, delete the unwanted ones there, and then
                                    re-upload them to the GPS. When I first connected a Nuvi to a T2-135, I
                                    had MAXRANGE 0. It was fun for a while, but in a few days, it was
                                    full. It was easy to delete them all, but now that I have a handful of
                                    waypoints that I want to keep, I keep MAXRANGE down to something
                                    like 20-30. It makes it a doable task to then go through and manually
                                    delete the unwanted ones one by one... at least for me.

                                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                                    .

                                  • kg4ymg
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 29, 2009
                                      TomTom also runs open source software....

                                      http://www.opentom.org/OpenTom:Community_Portal

                                      Alot of work has already been done, and its cheaper per unit as well... possibilities! :)

                                      Tad
                                      KG4YMG