RE: [tracker2] T2 and Yaesu FT-8800R Shortcomings

  • The Arizona Leeper's
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2009

    Gerry,

    I think your are on the right track.  Looking at the OT2 schematic, Pin 6 of the modular jack is profile select input. It appears that it will switch when tied to ground and is being held high to +5 volts.  The MH-48 microphone pin 6 is the PTT circuit that goes to ground when keyed.  It is held high to +8 volts.  Could it be as simple as tying the grounds (Pin 4 of the micro phone and Pin 3of the OT2) and Pin 6 the together with a series limiting resister to compensate for the voltage levels?

    Tom Leeper  8)

    KE7CLI

    I now understand that a big (and perhaps deal-breaking) drawback in the 8800 (and the other Yaesu dual-banders) is that it will only transmit packet data on the main band. As the manual says, the programmable menus will "set the Packet Receiving Band (Main band, Right band, or Left band.) Transmit band is fixed on Main band." So it indeed seems the Tracker2 will push a TX through a selected voice frequency, if that is the "main" band selection on the 8800. Too bad it does not operate like the VX-8R, that defines the RX & TX as always being on the same band, and Yaesu should know this!

    Others have suggested a hardware switch as a workaround. Accepting this notion, it would seem appropriate to interrupt the PTT and/or Audio signal sent to the radio, so that when the "main" band is on a voice frequency, the TX signals from the T2 would be stopped.

    The perhaps more elegant (if there is such a thing in this case) solution would be to use the T2's Accessory Connector (the one on the front), specifically the Profile Select Input to toggle between two different profiles in the T2. Under one scenario, Profile One could be used to both send and receive, and Profile Two could be set to receive only.

    This is where need some feedback.

    1) I cannot find how the Profile Select Input works. Is it an "interrupt" switch (connector to ground) where you push to toggle, or is it somehow and A-B Switch? An indicator light would also bee spiffy.

    2) Are there any other clever ideas for doing this?

    Thanks in advance for some feedback.

    Gerry Graff
    W5LCY