Getting Started Yaesu FT-8800R Tracker2 and Nuvi 350

  • w5lcy
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2009
      Not all of the stuff is here yet for my build, and I am in study mode -

      I have read about 1/3 of the posts here, and am hoping for some feedback. I find others have connected to Yaesu's with mixed results, and am working on defining the wiring for my build, but have not found a suggested wiring mating matrix.

      From what I can figure out the appropriate connection is as follows:

      T2 SERIAL Connector Garmin 010-10813- Mini B
      2: Data in (port A) Yellow- Data Out
      3: Data out (port A) White (data IN)
      4: Power output for GPS Maybe a 2nd cable?
      5: Ground Black (Ground)

      Yaesu CT-39A Packet Interface Cable

      7: Data out (port B) or CTS 1. Black (Data Input) (TX Audio)
      8: Data in (port B) or RTS 5 Yellow RX data (1200 bps)

      T2 RADIO Connector
      1: Audio out
      2: COR / Squelch input 6 Squelch Status
      3: PTT out 3. Red PTT (Gound to Transmit)
      5: Audio in
      6: Ground 2. Brown (Ground)
      7: Power in
      8: PTT in

      I will then software select the Garmin for Port A, and 1200 Baud for Port B fro the Yaesu.

      Adding to some confusion, the Yaesu manual shows different color codings for the Data Jack Pin than what is shown on the label of the CT-39A Cable packet, but I will trace them properly (unless someone knows which is correct) I guess that's why this is called amateur.

      I do have some confusion on whether the Data in for the Yeasu belongs on Port 7 of the GPS Connector or Port 1 of the Radio Connector. Can someone help with that?

      Thanks in advance for some feedback.

      Newbie,
      Gerry Graff
      W5LCY
    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2009
      Regarding ports:
      1. I use the A port for my PC and B for the GPS.
      2. The radio connects only to the radio port.

      The radio port can be a bit confusing to think about. The data pins in the CT cable are really audio signals: input and output.

      Have a peek at the PDFs I attached. You will get the feel of the port connections. The FT1500 will give you the basic setup, the Phoenix depicts my current setup.

      Best regards,
      Fred

      Message 3 of 7 , May 22, 2009
        BTW, the colors on the CT-39 may vary from what you have. The T2 will need
        the be setup for carrier detect.

        I have an FT8500 that I tried to use one side for APRS and one for voice,
        the results were dismal. I would get packets on my voice side when I was
        keyed up. I resorted to using the FT1500M: $115. I don't know how the FT8800
        will work. I was using the KPC3+ since I did not have the T2 at the time.

        Come back for as many questions you have!
        Fred

        PS. If the PDFs didn't make it to you, I can send direct. I hesitate putting
        on the group site at this time because I have not tested the FT1500 design
        yet, but the radio portion was copied from my working KPC3+ design. The
        Phoenix wiring with the T2 does work.
      • Rudy Benner
        Message 4 of 7 , May 22, 2009
          Excellent, any chance you would post those to the files section?

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

          > Regarding ports:
          > 1. I use the A port for my PC and B for the GPS.
          > 2. The radio connects only to the radio port.
          >
          > The radio port can be a bit confusing to think about. The data pins in the
          > CT cable are really audio signals: input and output.
          >
          > Have a peek at the PDFs I attached. You will get the feel of the port
          > connections. The FT1500 will give you the basic setup, the Phoenix depicts
          > my current setup.
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Fred
          >

          > _____

        • Gerry Graff
          Message 5 of 7 , May 22, 2009
            Fred,

            Thank you for the Schematics, absolutely professional! (obviously the pdf files came through fine).

            I will certainly give updates on the 8800 progress and document the ups and downs. I agree that if this comes together, it would be useful if maybe your configuration is put up on Scott's Wiki.

            Gerry

            On May 22, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

            BTW, the colors on the CT-39 may vary from what you have. The T2 will need
            the be setup for carrier detect.

            I have an FT8500 that I tried to use one side for APRS and one for voice,
            the results were dismal. I would get packets on my voice side when I was
            keyed up. I resorted to using the FT1500M: $115. I don't know how the FT8800
            will work. I was using the KPC3+ since I did not have the T2 at the time.

            Come back for as many questions you have!
            Fred

            PS. If the PDFs didn't make it to you, I can send direct. I hesitate putting
            on the group site at this time because I have not tested the FT1500 design
            yet, but the radio portion was copied from my working KPC3+ design. The
            Phoenix wiring with the T2 does work.

          • Randy Pryor
            Message 6 of 7 , May 23, 2009
              Hello Gerry,

              I have used a Yaesu 8800R with a Tracker2 and Nuvi 350 for many months, and I can tell you it works fine. The Yaesu has several menu items that can help such as forcing the radio to listen to only one side for packets, as well as selecting different baud rates.

              I purchased a ready made cable from RPC electronics that was plug and play. I can get you the pin outs from this cable if necessary, but it looks like you have that pretty well covered. Let me know if that would be helpful.

              The downside for me when using this setup was that the radio transmits packets on whatever side you have selected as the main band, and if I forgot, (yes sometimes that happens..:), and if I didn't switch the radio back to the other band I would be spamming the local repeater with my POI's after having a qso with a friend. It initially was a pretty fun foxhunt for some of the guys, but the teasing, just like them hearing my wayward packets, was annoying after awhile.

              There may be an easier way around that problem, but I solved it by getting a Yaesu 2800 and using it exclusively for APRS. getting back the full functionality of the dual band radio was very welcome, as I like to use cross band a lot, and couldn't do that and have the tracker on.

              To sum it up the 8800 will work fine, and I thought very easy to set up. If you want to run APRS all of the time it renders many of the other features of the dual band radio unusable, or difficult to use.

              Maybe putting in a switch to turn your tracker audio off, or some other method would help greatly with this issue. The Tracker2 may even have a setting to help with this issue, but I never found it.

              Good luck, and C U on the map soon!!

              Randy
              wb7urz

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "w5lcy" <Gerry@...> wrote:

              > Not all of the stuff is here yet for my build, and I am in study mode -
              >
              > I have read about 1/3 of the posts here, and am hoping for some feedback. I find others have connected to Yaesu's with mixed results, and am working on defining the wiring for my build, but have not found a suggested wiring mating matrix.
              >
              > From what I can figure out the appropriate connection is as follows:
              >
              > T2 SERIAL Connector Garmin 010-10813- Mini B
              > 2: Data in (port A) Yellow- Data Out
              > 3: Data out (port A) White (data IN)
              > 4: Power output for GPS Maybe a 2nd cable?
              > 5: Ground Black (Ground)
              >
              > Yaesu CT-39A Packet Interface Cable
              >
              > 7: Data out (port B) or CTS 1. Black (Data Input) (TX Audio)
              > 8: Data in (port B) or RTS 5 Yellow RX data (1200 bps)
              >
              > T2 RADIO Connector
              > 1: Audio out
              > 2: COR / Squelch input 6 Squelch Status
              > 3: PTT out 3. Red PTT (Gound to Transmit)
              > 5: Audio in
              > 6: Ground 2. Brown (Ground)
              > 7: Power in
              > 8: PTT in
              >
              > I will then software select the Garmin for Port A, and 1200 Baud for Port B fro the Yaesu.
              >
              > Adding to some confusion, the Yaesu manual shows different color codings for the Data Jack Pin than what is shown on the label of the CT-39A Cable packet, but I will trace them properly (unless someone knows which is correct) I guess that's why this is called amateur.
              >
              > I do have some confusion on whether the Data in for the Yeasu belongs on Port 7 of the GPS Connector or Port 1 of the Radio Connector. Can someone help with that?
              >
              > Thanks in advance for some feedback.
              >
              > Newbie,
              > Gerry Graff
              > W5LCY

            • captnkliegle
              Message 7 of 7 , May 24, 2009
                I too have been using the FT-8800R and an OT. I have a small toggle switch on the dashboard and a bi-colored LED. The switch powers the OT on/off and the bi colored LED turns green when power on and flashes red at the same time as the OT one (I extended the onboard LED and brought it out to the bi-colored LED ). I can then monitor when I have valid GPS signals. I also have a small NO pushbutton next to the LED. This is my Push to Send Position switch. If I want to send POS reports more frequently or mark a specific location, just push it and a TX fires off. Great for the numerous bike - a thons, and road races we offer comms for. I leave the left hand VFO for APRS only, and the right VFO for voice comms. When I want to talk to someone, flip the toggle switch, push the tuning knob in lightly and grab the mic. When done, push the APRS tuning knob in, and turn the tracker power switch back to on.

                This was my way of a work around for the Yaesu FT-8100 and 8800 issues of packet operation with voice simultaneously. I believe the Kenwood series will only TX packet on one specified VFO/Band, unlike Yaesu's will TX packet on whichever band happens to be selected at the present time. Yes, I have accidentally fired off POS reports on the local 2M machine... when I hear it kerchunking, I look down and see what band is active! LOL

                Kriss
                KA1GJU-2 thu -9