Re: [tracker2] What setting am I missing?

    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2009
      On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:26 PM, w2fcp <whitemg@...> wrote:

      > Did I miss a setting somewhere?

      Did you set your deviation properly?

    • Erich J. Ritzmann
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12, 2009
        I saw a similar behaviour here. What I saw on aprs.fi was only a
        fraction of the way points that I figured should have been
        transmitted. I double checked config, all was fine.

        I set up Xastir / CentOS Linux at my house and managed to get it to
        act as an Igate. Now I get 100% coverage, no transmissions lost
        within a 10km distance of my home ( have no tower). My hypothesis:
        the big boy digipeater in our area has a lot of null spots in its
        coverage.

        In the mean time, my box has ended up becoming the main Igate in the
        area -- interesting seeing how the network adapted to the presence of
        a new Igate.

        --
        Erich J. Ritzmann
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2009
          Or, the Big Boy digipeater in your area is busy listening to activity
          on neighboring digipeaters, and doesn't hear the local stations over
          the racket.

          Is your i-gate picking most up locally, or are you gating most after
          being digipeated?

          One problem with high gain antennas on hilltops, is that they listen
          to other high power hilltops better than they listen to the low power
          locals down in the shadowed areas below them.

          You don't see all the noise down below because the digi has to listen
          to all the neighboring packets, including those with used up paths
          that it ignores.

          On 5/12/09, Erich J. Ritzmann <ejritz@...> wrote:

          > I saw a similar behaviour here. What I saw on aprs.fi was only a
          > fraction of the way points that I figured should have been
          > transmitted. I double checked config, all was fine.
          >
          > I set up Xastir / CentOS Linux at my house and managed to get it to
          > act as an Igate. Now I get 100% coverage, no transmissions lost
          > within a 10km distance of my home ( have no tower). My hypothesis:
          > the big boy digipeater in our area has a lot of null spots in its
          > coverage.
          >
          > In the mean time, my box has ended up becoming the main Igate in the
          > area -- interesting seeing how the network adapted to the presence of
          > a new Igate.
          >
          > On 11-May-09, at 11:26 PM, w2fcp wrote:
          >
          >> I have my Nuvi 350 and Tracker 2 setup with an FT-2800. I am able to
          >> see stations on the map, receive messages, and send messages. I can
          >> see the red light come on and the radio is transmitting but my
          >> location is not showing up on WinAPRS. I have it on path Wide2-2,
          >> smartbeaconing, and require GPS fix. Did I miss a setting somewhere?
          >
          > --
          > Erich J. Ritzmann

          Sent from my mobile device
        • Erich J. Ritzmann
          Message 4 of 6 , May 12, 2009
            On 12-May-09, at 1:36 PM, James Ewen wrote:

            > Is your i-gate picking most up locally, or are you gating most after
            > being digipeated?

            The nearest packets mainly seem to go direct. As you get farther away
            they more often tend to come in through the digi.

            I use a roof top discone as an antenna, so the range won't be great.

            > One problem with high gain antennas on hilltops, is that they listen
            > to other high power hilltops better than they listen to the low power
            > locals down in the shadowed areas below them.

            Noise and interference ... resulting in nulls.

            But also, there is topography and variability in attenuation as one
            drives across the landscape.

            > You don't see all the noise down below because the digi has to listen
            > to all the neighboring packets, including those with used up paths
            > that it ignores.

            I haven't looked at the routing logic, but I was impressed how well it
            all ended up working together.

            --
            Erich J. Ritzmann