Re: [tracker2] ETA?

  • Tanner Lovelace
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 6 5:35 PM
      On 8/4/06, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

      > A TNC-X kit sells for $63 with the enclosure (no USB), so I guess
      > $65 for an OT2m kit wouldn't be such a bad deal, considering
      > what it does.
      >
      > Add $20 to the TNC-X for the digipeater daughterboard.
      > And I suspect the X-Track daughterboard as well. So that's
      > another $17. So yours should be at least $102 by the
      > same comparison. Make it $129 to make a decent profit.

      There's a huge psychological barrier for something that
      costs over $100. If the raw parts cost is less than that, I'd
      recommend not going into 3 digits. That's not to say I don't
      think profit should be made, I'm just trying to point out some
      considerations.

      Personally, I'm rather dismayed by how much radio gear
      costs these days, especially being in the computer field
      where costs on everything go down by leaps and bounds
      every year. (Yes, I realize there are economies of scale,
      but that's still another barrier for getting new people into
      the hobby.)

      Cheers,
      Tanner Lovelace
      KB4TYE

      --
      Tanner Lovelace
      clubjuggler at gmail dot com
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 9 5:04 AM
        Scott,

        If it's anywhere near the price indicated (assembled), I'll buy one
        immediately. I don't have time to do the assembly. If for no other
        reason, I would LOVE to put it on with ui-view32 at my home station to
        evaluate the effectiveness of the "smart" digi-peater function with
        hop count limiting. Everything I use is KISS mode with AGWPEpro
        supervising the TNCs.

        Will it run open squelch? (Wrong question...will it accept audio from
        my radio that is open squelch. Lots of tncs won't..they refuse to key
        up if noise is present, whereas the True DCD tncs don't look at noise
        to the the hold-off, but actually look for packet tones to do the
        hold-off) I'm using a PK-900 at the moment, running in open squelch
        mode (true DCD). This feature is not the end of the world, but I
        prefer it.

        73,

        ...hasan, N0AN

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, <scott@...> wrote:

        > Still debating on the price. I want to have *some* assembled version
        > available for somewhere in the $60-$70 range, but it's going to be
        easier to
        > pull that off for a surface mount version. Even with custom
        printing, the
        > OT1x-style cases cost under $3, and the component cost is less - the MCU
        > socket alone adds a couple of bucks to the OT2m price.

      • Curt, WE7U
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 9 5:13 AM
          On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, n0anhasan50212 wrote:

          > Will it run open squelch? (Wrong question...will it accept audio from
          > my radio that is open squelch. Lots of tncs won't..they refuse to key
          > up if noise is present, whereas the True DCD tncs don't look at noise
          > to the the hold-off, but actually look for packet tones to do the
          > hold-off) I'm using a PK-900 at the moment, running in open squelch
          > mode (true DCD). This feature is not the end of the world, but I
          > prefer it.

          Actually, it _is_ an end-of-the-world feature!

          For a mobile or portable setup where I have to hook to speaker-out
          and mic-in, running with the squelch open means I have one fewer
          control to mess me up. The only controls I then have to worry about
          are volume and power.

          I've had my Jeep tracker performing poorly at times over the years,
          often because I've accidentally bumped one or the other control.
          Now that the radio and TNC are inside an ammo-can it happens less.
          These days I'm often pulling my OpenTracker to burn in new firmware
          versions, so the chances are going up again...

        • scott@opentrac.org
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 9 7:44 AM
            Yes, it'll run open squelch - just make sure the SWDCD option is turned on.  Works well.

            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 9 7:49 AM
              Here's a solution to that: http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=7340  Install a waterproof d-sub connector on the ammo can and update the firmware without opening it up.

              Scott

              On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, n0anhasan50212 wrote:

              > Will it run open squelch? (Wrong question...will it accept audio from
              > my radio that is open squelch. Lots of tncs won't..they refuse to key
              > up if noise is present, whereas the True DCD tncs don't look at noise
              > to the the hold-off, but actually look for packet tones to do the
              > hold-off) I'm using a PK-900 at the moment, running in open squelch
              > mode (true DCD). This feature is not the end of the world, but I
              > prefer it.

              Actually, it _is_ an end-of-the-world feature!

              For a mobile or portable setup where I have to hook to speaker-out
              and mic-in, running with the squelch open means I have one fewer
              control to mess me up. The only controls I then have to worry about
              are volume and power.

              I've had my Jeep tracker performing poorly at times over the years,
              often because I've accidentally bumped one or the other control.
              Now that the radio and TNC are inside an ammo-can it happens less.
              These days I'm often pulling my OpenTracker to burn in new firmware
              versions, so the chances are going up again...

              --
              Curt, WE7U. APRS Client Comparisons: http://www.eskimo. com/~archer
              "Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. " -- WE7U

            • J. Lance Cotton
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 9 7:51 AM
                scott@... wrote:
                > Yes, it'll run open squelch - just make sure the SWDCD option is turned
                > on. Works well.

                So what does it do with SWDCD is off?

                --
                J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
                joe@...
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 9 9:45 AM
                  Then it goes by the energy detect on the demodulator chip.  White noise or voice will trigger it.

                  joe@lightningflash. net
                  http://kj5o. lightningflash. net
                  Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
                  cookies.

                • hasan schiers
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 9 10:42 AM
                    Thanks Scott, I can't wait!