APRS Digi

  • Mark Crosbie - N8MNI
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2009
      Compared to a KPC 3+ or MFJ 1270 tnc. How well does the Tracker2 perform as a digi?

      73's
      de N8MNI
      Mark Crosbie
      London, Ohio

    • Dave Ingram
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2009
        Mark Crosbie - N8MNI wrote:

        > Compared to a KPC 3+ or MFJ 1270 tnc. How well does the Tracker2
        > perform as a digi?
        I am using the standalone Tracker2 as a fill-in digi (WIDE1-1) at home,
        but it can be used as a WIDE2 one if need be (but there are enough of
        them around here). My digi is VK4TDI-1 if you want to look at the stats
        for it online. I have it connected through the mic jack & speaker jack
        of a Yaesu FT1802 (which doesn't have a data port).

        I also have the FD301 data radio with T2 built in, and it operates
        identically to the standalone Tracker2. I expect that the T2 for the
        Alinco would be much the same (and would make quite a tidy setup).

        A T2 digi is certainly simpler than a PC running AGWUIDigi (which is
        still a good program, but it was overkill for my needs). I run the
        FT1802 + T2 from a 100Ah battery and recharge it now and again. One day
        I will get around to buying a second power supply :-)

        Dave.

        --
        David Ingram (VK4TDI)
        To avoid spam trap, send email to dave at ingramtech dot com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 11, 2009
          I have both the Alinco with the T2 card and a OT2m running into a Chinese HT. Either works fine.

          If I was buying new, I would get the new FD301.