Re: [tracker2] ETA?

  • Jason Winningham
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 3, 2006
      On Aug 3, 2006, at 4:56 PM, Cap Pennell wrote:

      > Maybe default settings like "digi only MYcall and WIDE1-1
      > and then only if no other digi is heard first" and "default digipath
      > WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1" would be good for starting out.

      Actually, a better default would be "don't digipeat at all", which
      happens to be the default.

      -Jason
      kg4wsv
    • scott@opentrac.org
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 3, 2006
        Actually I think that it's set to digipeat on MYCALL by default.  The logic there is that no one's likely to use you as a digipeater accidentally, but if they need the capability then it's there.

        Scott

        On Aug 3, 2006, at 4:56 PM, Cap Pennell wrote:

        > Maybe default settings like "digi only MYcall and WIDE1-1
        > and then only if no other digi is heard first" and "default digipath
        > WIDE1-1,WIDE2- 1" would be good for starting out.

        Actually, a better default would be "don't digipeat at all", which
        happens to be the default.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv

      • Tony VE6MVP
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 4, 2006
          At 11:38 PM 2006/08/02 -0700, you wrote:

          A TNC-X kit sells for $63 with the enclosure (no USB), so I guess $65 for an OT2m kit wouldn't be such a bad deal, considering what it does.

          Add $20 to the TNC-X for the digipeater daughterboard.   And I suspect the X-Track daughterboard as well.  So that's another $17.   So yours should be at least $102 by the same comparison.     Make it $129 to make a decent profit.

          Tony

        • Steven Palm
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 4, 2006
            On Aug 4, 2006, at 2:20 PM, Tony VE6MVP wrote:
            > At 11:38 PM 2006/08/02 -0700, you wrote:
            >> A TNC-X kit sells for $63 with the enclosure (no USB), so I guess
            >> $65 for an OT2m kit wouldn't be such a bad deal, considering what
            >> it does.
            >
            > Add $20 to the TNC-X for the digipeater daughterboard. And I
            > suspect the X-Track daughterboard as well. So that's another
            > $17. So yours should be at least $102 by the same comparison.
            > Make it $129 to make a decent profit.

            I think that Scott should have a separate "donate" area for people
            who feel the product is too cheap. Go ahead, Tony, drop in as many
            shekels as you want to into the bucket. :) On the other hand, I'm
            hoping that he leans toward not maximizing profit, but instead
            minimizing cost but without causing any personal loss or hardship.
            Maybe that attitude comes from my choosing to work for a non-profit,
            so not only is my money limited, but I'm focused always on doing
            things for the efficiency of money, not the surplus of it.

            And indeed, this is way off topic, so I should shut up now.

            Steve
          • Tanner Lovelace
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 6, 2006
              On 8/4/06, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

              > A TNC-X kit sells for $63 with the enclosure (no USB), so I guess
              > $65 for an OT2m kit wouldn't be such a bad deal, considering
              > what it does.
              >
              > Add $20 to the TNC-X for the digipeater daughterboard.
              > And I suspect the X-Track daughterboard as well. So that's
              > another $17. So yours should be at least $102 by the
              > same comparison. Make it $129 to make a decent profit.

              There's a huge psychological barrier for something that
              costs over $100. If the raw parts cost is less than that, I'd
              recommend not going into 3 digits. That's not to say I don't
              think profit should be made, I'm just trying to point out some
              considerations.

              Personally, I'm rather dismayed by how much radio gear
              costs these days, especially being in the computer field
              where costs on everything go down by leaps and bounds
              every year. (Yes, I realize there are economies of scale,
              but that's still another barrier for getting new people into
              the hobby.)

              Cheers,
              Tanner Lovelace
              KB4TYE

              --
              Tanner Lovelace
              clubjuggler at gmail dot com
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                Scott,

                If it's anywhere near the price indicated (assembled), I'll buy one
                immediately. I don't have time to do the assembly. If for no other
                reason, I would LOVE to put it on with ui-view32 at my home station to
                evaluate the effectiveness of the "smart" digi-peater function with
                hop count limiting. Everything I use is KISS mode with AGWPEpro
                supervising the TNCs.

                Will it run open squelch? (Wrong question...will it accept audio from
                my radio that is open squelch. Lots of tncs won't..they refuse to key
                up if noise is present, whereas the True DCD tncs don't look at noise
                to the the hold-off, but actually look for packet tones to do the
                hold-off) I'm using a PK-900 at the moment, running in open squelch
                mode (true DCD). This feature is not the end of the world, but I
                prefer it.

                73,

                ...hasan, N0AN

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, <scott@...> wrote:

                > Still debating on the price. I want to have *some* assembled version
                > available for somewhere in the $60-$70 range, but it's going to be
                easier to
                > pull that off for a surface mount version. Even with custom
                printing, the
                > OT1x-style cases cost under $3, and the component cost is less - the MCU
                > socket alone adds a couple of bucks to the OT2m price.

              • Curt, WE7U
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                  On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, n0anhasan50212 wrote:

                  > Will it run open squelch? (Wrong question...will it accept audio from
                  > my radio that is open squelch. Lots of tncs won't..they refuse to key
                  > up if noise is present, whereas the True DCD tncs don't look at noise
                  > to the the hold-off, but actually look for packet tones to do the
                  > hold-off) I'm using a PK-900 at the moment, running in open squelch
                  > mode (true DCD). This feature is not the end of the world, but I
                  > prefer it.

                  Actually, it _is_ an end-of-the-world feature!

                  For a mobile or portable setup where I have to hook to speaker-out
                  and mic-in, running with the squelch open means I have one fewer
                  control to mess me up. The only controls I then have to worry about
                  are volume and power.

                  I've had my Jeep tracker performing poorly at times over the years,
                  often because I've accidentally bumped one or the other control.
                  Now that the radio and TNC are inside an ammo-can it happens less.
                  These days I'm often pulling my OpenTracker to burn in new firmware
                  versions, so the chances are going up again...

                • scott@opentrac.org
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                    Yes, it'll run open squelch - just make sure the SWDCD option is turned on.  Works well.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                      Here's a solution to that: http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=7340  Install a waterproof d-sub connector on the ammo can and update the firmware without opening it up.

                      Scott

                      On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, n0anhasan50212 wrote:

                      > Will it run open squelch? (Wrong question...will it accept audio from
                      > my radio that is open squelch. Lots of tncs won't..they refuse to key
                      > up if noise is present, whereas the True DCD tncs don't look at noise
                      > to the the hold-off, but actually look for packet tones to do the
                      > hold-off) I'm using a PK-900 at the moment, running in open squelch
                      > mode (true DCD). This feature is not the end of the world, but I
                      > prefer it.

                      Actually, it _is_ an end-of-the-world feature!

                      For a mobile or portable setup where I have to hook to speaker-out
                      and mic-in, running with the squelch open means I have one fewer
                      control to mess me up. The only controls I then have to worry about
                      are volume and power.

                      I've had my Jeep tracker performing poorly at times over the years,
                      often because I've accidentally bumped one or the other control.
                      Now that the radio and TNC are inside an ammo-can it happens less.
                      These days I'm often pulling my OpenTracker to burn in new firmware
                      versions, so the chances are going up again...

                      --
                      Curt, WE7U. APRS Client Comparisons: http://www.eskimo. com/~archer
                      "Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. " -- WE7U

                    • J. Lance Cotton
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                        scott@... wrote:
                        > Yes, it'll run open squelch - just make sure the SWDCD option is turned
                        > on. Works well.

                        So what does it do with SWDCD is off?

                        --
                        J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
                        joe@...
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                          Then it goes by the energy detect on the demodulator chip.  White noise or voice will trigger it.

                          joe@lightningflash. net
                          http://kj5o. lightningflash. net
                          Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
                          cookies.

                        • hasan schiers
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                            Thanks Scott, I can't wait!