digi question

  • Mike Henry
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 5:53 PM
      Hello i have the tracker 2 set up as a digi i have noticed a some people running wide 2-1 my digi is 2-2 what whould happen if i have wide2-1,wide2-2?

      thanks for you time
      Mike Henry
      wd5mhz
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2 6:56 PM
        Mike WD5MHZ wrote...

        > I have the tracker 2 set up as a digi I have noticed a some people
        > running wide 2-1 my digi is 2-2

        Are you talking about your own outgoing path? Something like a KPC3+ is
        capable of using multiple paths... e.g. one beacon per hour with a two
        hop path, one beacon per hour with a one hop path, and the rest of them
        (four) direct with no hops. Your WD5MHZ-1 appears to be using WIDE2-2.
        Looking around your area, I would think that a one hop WIDE2-1 would do
        a pretty good job of "announcing the presence" of your digi. However, if
        the frequency is really quiet, you probably wouldn't get too many
        complaints about a two hop path.

        > what would happen if I have wide2-1,wide2-2?

        That would be a "bad" path for a digi. Three hops would be considered
        excessive. Two might be more than "needed". One is often enough. There
        would be a pretty good argument for really high digis to go out with no
        path at all.

        For regular mobile stations, the recommended path is WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH