Re: [tracker2] Re: looking for help to see why my position only randomly shows up on the Nuvi 350

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2009
      Kevin NB7O wrote...

      > No it really is Garmin...

      That explains that - hi!

      > As I said earlier I didn't think I could get into a digi from out
      > where I was working on the TNC so I shortened the interval to get lots
      > of data. Then set it back to 5 minute interval. smartbcon is off until
      > I get other issues resolved. I don't want to add another unknown to
      > the equation.

      There may not be an issue. I could just be that there are no nearby
      digipeaters.

      > I run smart beacon in our fifth wheel in a TT3+. That is NB7O

      Possibly, but when NB7O was last heard on April 25, it was UI-View.

      > I had a mobile digi set up. We are out in the desert of Oregon,
      > Nevada, and Arizona a lot. I thought having another digi around might
      > help. I was disabling it to take the digi out of the equation. I
      > thought that by setting hop limit to zero it would temporarily shut
      > down the digi. I will follow ur suggestion.

      Guess it's really just another way of skinning the cat. Your HOPLIMIT 0
      should work. I just thought it was more logical to set it up with ALIAS
      and HOPLIMIT and disable it when not needed with USEALIAS.

      > And with the hills between us that is a long 38 miles. thanks for the
      > suggestions. I will put them into service tomorrow on the 9 hour
      > drive.

      While you seem to reliably get to KE6RSZ from where you have been
      parked recently (presumably home) but perhaps a well placed digi or
      two in the area wouldn't hurt. I see you were digi'd by BEAR at least
      3 times. It looks like you are on the road already and well off to the
      SE. Looking at the few reports, it could just be a lack of digi's in the
      area, but a bit of comparison testing against another known good TNC
      wouldn't hurt to see if you are decoding a reasonable number of packets
      heard.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH