looking for help to see why my position only randomly shows up on the Nuvi 350

  • nb7o
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30 7:27 PM
      Hello all,

      I am looking for a little help in figuring out why my current position does not appear on the Nuvi 350 regularly. Sometimes it will appear on the screen and then note move for hours or days. Right now I am in an area without a digi so I know why I am not appearing on the Nuvi now. It is not being digi'd to be heard. However, I make a 9 hour commute from the coast of Oregon to northeast Oregon to take care of my father. Typically I will get a position on the nuvi when I enter the freeway about an hour south of eugene. Then about 3 or 4 hours later I will appear on the screen again. Then be stuck for 3 or 4 hours again.

      I am certain that I have a setting wrong. But, after looking over the settings multiple times I am just not seeing it.

      Anyone feel like tackling this with me?

      The TNC is mounted in an Alinco DR-135 ver 2. I am getting good reports into the various internet APRS sites. I just do not appear on my own map.

      here is a display of the TNC settings.

      Argent Data Systems Tracker2 Firmware Build 54680
      Copyright (C) 2006-2008 - All Rights Reserved

      cmd:disp
      1WIREWX OFF
      ABAUD 4800
      ALIAS 1:WIDE 3:TEMP
      ALTITUDE ON
      AMODE GRMIN
      AUTHLIST NB7O, K7MGO
      AUTOBAUD OFF
      AUTOSAVE OFF
      BBAUD 4800
      BMODE FLOW
      CDINVERT OFF
      CLIMB OFF
      CNTRESET OFF
      COMMENT in hermiston helping dad
      COMPRESS OFF
      COUNTER OFF
      CUSTSYM ON
      DAO OFF
      DIGI ON
      DIGIID 1:ON 2:ON 3:ON 4:ON 5:ON 6:ON 7:ON 8:ON
      DUPETIME 30
      EXTSQL OFF
      FAHRENHT OFF
      GPSDATA OFF
      HBAUD 1200
      HEADERLN OFF
      HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0
      INTERVAL 60
      LVINHIBIT 0
      MAXRANGE 0
      MONITOR ON
      MYCALL NB7O-11
      NICE 0
      OUTPUT1 OFF
      POSITION GPS
      POWER ON
      PREEMPT 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
      PTTINPUT OFF
      PATH WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
      QUIET 16
      REARM 250
      RETRIES 6
      RETRYTIME 7
      REQALL OFF
      RING ON
      SHAREDPTT OFF
      SLOT 0
      SMARTBCON OFF
      SWDCD ON
      STATUS 0
      SYMBOL />
      TELEMETRY OFF
      TEMP OFF
      TEMPADJ 0
      TIMEHMS OFF
      TIMESLOT OFF
      TIMESTAMP ON
      TXDELAY 25
      TXLEVEL 255
      TXNOFIX OFF
      TXONCHG OFF
      USEALIAS 1:ON 2:ON 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
      VELOCITY ON
      VOLTAGE ON
      WAYPOINTS ON
      WPTLEN 9
      cmd:

      If you see a setting that could/should be changed please let me know. I have been playing with the dupetime and i see that i left it at 30 the last time i made a change.

      I will be driving to Burns Oregon from Coos Bay tomorrow and would like to see some ideas to try.

      73 de kevin/NB7O
    • Dan Zubey
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 30 7:52 PM
        Yea, this is something I've looked at and tweaked the last couple
        weeks.

        To show up on the screen, it means that 1) my packets have to be heard
        by the digipeater, and 2) I have to hear my digipeated packet. That
        means there's already 2 strikes against me. I make it onto the internet
        just fine, but seeing myself is always an issue.

        When I move, I get a lot of picket-fencing on digis that I hear, so what
        I've done is put a lot of effort into making the packets as short as
        possible.

        That means compression, no comments/status, etc. I also put a lot of
        work into making sure the tnc can hear as much as possible (that's a
        good idea anyways for a lot of reasons).

        Now, on the average, I hear about 1/3 of the transmissions I put out,
        which isn't great, but we're working on it.

        Others may have further ideas.

        -Dan N7NMD

        On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 02:27 +0000, nb7o wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I am looking for a little help in figuring out why my current position does not appear on the Nuvi 350 regularly. Sometimes it will appear on the screen and then note move for hours or days. Right now I am in an area without a digi so I know why I am not appearing on the Nuvi now. It is not being digi'd to be heard. However, I make a 9 hour commute from the coast of Oregon to northeast Oregon to take care of my father. Typically I will get a position on the nuvi when I enter the freeway about an hour south of eugene. Then about 3 or 4 hours later I will appear on the screen again. Then be stuck for 3 or 4 hours again.
        >
        > I am certain that I have a setting wrong. But, after looking over the settings multiple times I am just not seeing it.
        >
        > Anyone feel like tackling this with me?
        >
        > The TNC is mounted in an Alinco DR-135 ver 2. I am getting good reports into the various internet APRS sites. I just do not appear on my own map.
        >
        > here is a display of the TNC settings.
      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30 7:56 PM
          Greetings,

          In order for your own call to appear on the Nuvi, your beacon must be
          Digi'd AND be heard AND decoded by your T2 (T2-135?). Try sending a
          "--info" command from the Nuvi to the T2-135. Note the numbers coming
          back. On mine, I get LOTS of FCS errors and just a few RX:, at least in
          my home area. When I drive over to Orlando, I receive MUCH better than
          I do here on the East Coast of Florida. I'm convinced it's due to the
          Digis around town not being decoded by my T2-135. Here's a list of RX
          vs FCS (errors) that I've seen via the --info command:

          RX FCS
          121 147 - This was out of town
          82 981
          39 262
          84 673
          82 669
          80 647
          19 71
          5 25
          14 45

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -9(T2-135) -8(D7) -12(AT&T Tilt Phone) -2/-7(TT4 IGate)

          nb7o wrote:

> [...]
          > TELEMETRY OFF
          > TEMP OFF
          > TEMPADJ 0
          > TIMEHMS OFF
          > TIMESLOT OFF
          > TIMESTAMP ON
          > TXDELAY 25
          > TXLEVEL 255
          > TXNOFIX OFF
          > TXONCHG OFF
          > USEALIAS 1:ON 2:ON 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
          > VELOCITY ON
          > VOLTAGE ON
          > WAYPOINTS ON
          > WPTLEN 9
          > cmd:
          >
          > If you see a setting that could/should be changed please let me know.
          > I have been playing with the dupetime and i see that i left it at 30
          > the last time i made a change.
          >
          > I will be driving to Burns Oregon from Coos Bay tomorrow and would

        • Mike Fenske
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 30 7:59 PM
            Hello Kevin,

            To improve your chances of being digi'ed and also decoding your digipeated packets, you should shorten your packets. Currently, you are transmitting timestamps, altitude, voltage, velocity as well as a comment. I would suggest that you turn off timestamps, altitude and voltage. Also, I would suggest that you shorten your comment and use compressed packets. This will shorten your transmitted packets considerably.

            Sometime, you should also get smartbeaconing set up to reduce transmission intervals, especially at lower speeds. 60 seconds adds quite a bit to network load and should be reduced.

            Hope this helps,

            Mike Fenske
            VE7MKF

          • randy2@farmtel.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 30 8:00 PM
              Sounds like a receive audio level setting from your radio to the
              T2.....maybe too high or too low?

              Sounds like your tx audio level is OK since your being reported.

              Have you tried sending a text message to yourself while in range of a
              known digi?

              If everything is good with your setup and the digi, you should get an
              acknowledgment of a delivered message very quickly.

              This is how I determined my own receive levels were not correct without
              using proper test equipment.

              Randy
              WB0VHB

              nb7o wrote:

> [...]
              > TELEMETRY OFF
              > TEMP OFF
              > TEMPADJ 0
              > TIMEHMS OFF
              > TIMESLOT OFF
              > TIMESTAMP ON
              > TXDELAY 25
              > TXLEVEL 255
              > TXNOFIX OFF
              > TXONCHG OFF
              > USEALIAS 1:ON 2:ON 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
              > VELOCITY ON
              > VOLTAGE ON
              > WAYPOINTS ON
              > WPTLEN 9
              > cmd:
              >
              > If you see a setting that could/should be changed please let me know.
              > I have been playing with the dupetime and i see that i left it at 30
              > the last time i made a change.
              >
              > I will be driving to Burns Oregon from Coos Bay tomorrow and would

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 30 9:08 PM
                Kevin NB7O wrote...

                > AMODE GRMIN

                Is your AMODE really GRMIN... not GARMIN?

                > INTERVAL 60
                > SMARTBCON OFF

                Any reason you are beaconing every 60 seconds instead of using
                SmartBeaconing?

                > PATH WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2

                Not a "bad" path but you could try a shorter WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.
                http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=NB7O-11&limit=1000
                It looks like you are hitting an IGate direct all of the time in your
                (many) recent beacons.

                > ALIAS 1:WIDE 3:TEMP
                > USEALIAS 1:ON 2:ON 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                > HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0

                Are you sometimes running a mobile WIDEn-N digi? The alias WIDE is "on"
                but HOPLIMIT is zero. I would probably set the HOPLIMIT to 2 but disable
                it with USEALIAS 1 OFF until needed.

                As others mentioned, you need to hear a digi echo to show up as a
                waypoint in the Nuvi. I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless it's
                a general symptom of a low decoding success rate. More likely,
                it's more a lack of digis in the area. The closest station that claims
                to be a digi is 38 miles away.
                www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?call=NB7O-11

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              • nb7o
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 30 9:29 PM
                  That 60 is not usually there. I was playing today and wanted to get lots of xmissions out. (there are no digis around here so even though I was sending lots of packets no one was hearing them. I set back to the normal 300 seconds after I finished playing today.

                  I will get the other stuff cut out. I didnt know I was sending voltage an altitude. I knew that it had to be in the settings.

                  thanks for the replies.

                  kevin/NB7O

                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Fenske <mfenske@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > TELEMETRY OFF
                  > > TEMP OFF
                  > > TEMPADJ 0
                  > > TIMEHMS OFF
                  > > TIMESLOT OFF
                  > > TIMESTAMP ON
                  > > TXDELAY 25
                  > > TXLEVEL 255
                  > > TXNOFIX OFF
                  > > TXONCHG OFF
                  > > USEALIAS 1:ON 2:ON 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                  > > VELOCITY ON
                  > > VOLTAGE ON
                  > > WAYPOINTS ON
                  > > WPTLEN 9
                  > > cmd:
                  > >
                  > > If you see a setting that could/should be changed please let me know. I have been playing with the dupetime and i see that i left it at 30 the last time i made a change.
                  > >
                  > > I will be driving to Burns Oregon from Coos Bay tomorrow and would like to see some ideas to try.

                • nb7o
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 30 9:30 PM
                    I have not tried that. Will try it tomorrow when I am near a good digi. Good idea.

                    kevin/NB7O

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 30 9:38 PM
                      If you're really excited about seeing your icon on the map, buy a
                      T2-301, set it up as a digi, and put it in your trunk on a dummy load.
                      Anywhere you go, you'll get digipeated! 8)

                    • nb7o
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 30 9:53 PM
                        answers interspersed below.

                        Kevin/NB7O

                        > Kevin NB7O wrote...
                        >
                        > > AMODE GRMIN
                        >
                        > Is your AMODE really GRMIN... not GARMIN?

                        No it really is Garmin. To get a good display of settings I took the nuvi off, put the mode into auto, used hyperlink to get the settings. When I looked at the settings I saw that mode was not garmin. I new that if it was not Garmin that many would key in on this and advise me to change mode setting to Garmin. So I manually edited the mode setting in notepad and fat fingered it anyway. hi hi

                        > > INTERVAL 60
                        > > SMARTBCON OFF
                        >
                        > Any reason you are beaconing every 60 seconds instead of using
                        > SmartBeaconing?

                        As I said earlier I didnt think I could get into a digi from out where I was working on the TNC so I shortened the interval to get lots of data. Then set it back to 5 minute interval. smartbcon is off until i get other issues resolved. i dont want to add another unknown to the equation. I run smart beacon in our fifth wheel in a TT3+. That is NB7O

                        > > PATH WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
                        >
                        > Not a "bad" path but you could try a shorter WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.
                        > http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=NB7O-11&limit=1000
                        > It looks like you are hitting an IGate direct all of the time in your
                        > (many) recent beacons.
                        >
                        > > ALIAS 1:WIDE 3:TEMP
                        > > USEALIAS 1:ON 2:ON 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                        > > HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0
                        >
                        > Are you sometimes running a mobile WIDEn-N digi? The alias WIDE is "on"
                        > but HOPLIMIT is zero. I would probably set the HOPLIMIT to 2 but disable
                        > it with USEALIAS 1 OFF until needed.

                        I had a mobile digi set up. We are out in the desert of Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona alot. i thought having another digi around might help. I was disabling it to take the digi out of the equation. I thought that by setting hop limit to zero it would temporarily shut down the digi. I will follow ur suggestion.

                        > As others mentioned, you need to hear a digi echo to show up as a
                        > waypoint in the Nuvi. I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless it's
                        > a general symptom of a low decoding success rate. More likely,
                        > it's more a lack of digis in the area. The closest station that claims
                        > to be a digi is 38 miles away.
                        > www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?call=NB7O-11

                        And with the hills between us that is a long 38 miles.

                        thanks for the suggestions. I will put them into service tomorrow on the 9 hour drive.

                        73 de kevin/NB7O

                        > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                      • Keith VE7GDH
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 1, 2009
                          Kevin NB7O wrote...

                          > No it really is Garmin...

                          That explains that - hi!

                          > As I said earlier I didn't think I could get into a digi from out
                          > where I was working on the TNC so I shortened the interval to get lots
                          > of data. Then set it back to 5 minute interval. smartbcon is off until
                          > I get other issues resolved. I don't want to add another unknown to
                          > the equation.

                          There may not be an issue. I could just be that there are no nearby
                          digipeaters.

                          > I run smart beacon in our fifth wheel in a TT3+. That is NB7O

                          Possibly, but when NB7O was last heard on April 25, it was UI-View.

                          > I had a mobile digi set up. We are out in the desert of Oregon,
                          > Nevada, and Arizona a lot. I thought having another digi around might
                          > help. I was disabling it to take the digi out of the equation. I
                          > thought that by setting hop limit to zero it would temporarily shut
                          > down the digi. I will follow ur suggestion.

                          Guess it's really just another way of skinning the cat. Your HOPLIMIT 0
                          should work. I just thought it was more logical to set it up with ALIAS
                          and HOPLIMIT and disable it when not needed with USEALIAS.

                          > And with the hills between us that is a long 38 miles. thanks for the
                          > suggestions. I will put them into service tomorrow on the 9 hour
                          > drive.

                          While you seem to reliably get to KE6RSZ from where you have been
                          parked recently (presumably home) but perhaps a well placed digi or
                          two in the area wouldn't hurt. I see you were digi'd by BEAR at least
                          3 times. It looks like you are on the road already and well off to the
                          SE. Looking at the few reports, it could just be a lack of digi's in the
                          area, but a bit of comparison testing against another known good TNC
                          wouldn't hurt to see if you are decoding a reasonable number of packets
                          heard.

                          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH