RE: [tracker2] ETA?

  • Tony VE6MVP
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 3, 2006
      At 01:55 PM 2006/08/03 -0700, you wrote:

      I want to start with kits because it's a lot easier to rework a kit than an assembled board.  Once I've got a fair number of units in regular use I'll feel better about committing to mass production.  Not to mention the fact that between GPS purchases and enclosure manufacturing my working capital has been seriously depleted and will need a bit to recover.

      Eventually it probably won't even make sense to offer a kit.  If I can get enough of them built at one time, assembly is pretty cheap, especially for SMT.  How many people want to spend an hour soldering to save 10%?

      Fair enough.

      I had asked a local ham if my next to non existent soldering skills would be sufficient to do the TNC-X.    (This was before I found out about the Tracker2.)  He bluntly told me that he didn't recommend I do so.  However he'd be happy to loan me the equipment to do so such as the magnifier, temp controlled soldering iron and so forth.   Then he went on and volunteered to build it for me.  When I met him and the group for coffee a few weeks later and picked it up there were some chuckles in agreement as he stated he figured he should be doing the soldering rather than me.

      So I'll probably be asking him to do it again on this one.  <smile>

      Tony
    • Tony VE6MVP
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 3, 2006
        At 01:44 PM 2006/08/03 -0700, you wrote:
        (FWIW, I really appreciate the folks on the OpenTracker group who jump in and answer some of the questions, especially when it comes to radio-specific questions about rigs I don't have access to.)

        1) Newsgroup Answers MDB - I designed the MDB to assist frequent newsgroup answerers, such as MVPs, in quickly locating and pasting in their favourite snippets of answers. http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/newsgroupanswersmdb.htm.   If you don't have Microsoft Access installed I'll be happy to build you a runtime package.

        2) Don't be afraid to redirect emails to this mailing list.  Develop a canned response for this.  Let us answer the simpler questions.  And maybe some of us can forward the tough ones to you.

        3) Don't answer the questions as soon as you see them.  Wait a day or so especially if it's a simple answer.  By then the person may have already found the answer on their own or by searching the archives.

        I'm not out to charge whatever the market will bear, but I do need to bring in enough money to keep growing and make it all worth doing.  Comparing what I'm selling to what else is out there at least gives me a sanity check.

        Don't go too cheap.   If you get very few complaints about the price then it's too cheap.  (Some people will always complain.)   If you get some complaints then it's about right.   If you get a lot of complaints then it's too expensive.

        Tony

      • Cap Pennell
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 3, 2006
          Thanks very much, Scott. I, for one, sure do appreciate all the work you
          have done and are doing for APRS. FB!

          Yes, a lot of "appliance operators, like myself" will be hoping to be able
          to buy and use "plug and play" assembled versions of the OT2. My experience
          with APRS (and 2m packet in general) tells me that that many OT2 users will
          be quite content with the basic (default) settings, despite the vast amounts
          of time and energy you've invested into making this project incredibly
          capable, flexible, configurable, and upgradeable. With us "appliance
          operators" in mind, I hope you will consider configuration parameter
          defaults that are quite conservative as regards the limited available
          airtime on the VHF APRS frequency. We know conservative digipaths and
          transmission intervals are courteous to all the other users hoping to share
          the frequency. Maybe default settings like "digi only MYcall and WIDE1-1
          and then only if no other digi is heard first" and "default digipath
          WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1" would be good for starting out.

          I know you've already thought carefully about these things too. Thanks!
          Good luck!
          73, Cap KE6AFE

          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 3, 2006
            On Aug 3, 2006, at 4:56 PM, Cap Pennell wrote:

            > Maybe default settings like "digi only MYcall and WIDE1-1
            > and then only if no other digi is heard first" and "default digipath
            > WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1" would be good for starting out.

            Actually, a better default would be "don't digipeat at all", which
            happens to be the default.

            -Jason
            kg4wsv
          • scott@opentrac.org
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 3, 2006
              Actually I think that it's set to digipeat on MYCALL by default.  The logic there is that no one's likely to use you as a digipeater accidentally, but if they need the capability then it's there.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 4, 2006
                At 11:38 PM 2006/08/02 -0700, you wrote:

                A TNC-X kit sells for $63 with the enclosure (no USB), so I guess $65 for an OT2m kit wouldn't be such a bad deal, considering what it does.

                Add $20 to the TNC-X for the digipeater daughterboard.   And I suspect the X-Track daughterboard as well.  So that's another $17.   So yours should be at least $102 by the same comparison.     Make it $129 to make a decent profit.

                Tony

              • Steven Palm
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 4, 2006
                  On Aug 4, 2006, at 2:20 PM, Tony VE6MVP wrote:
                  > At 11:38 PM 2006/08/02 -0700, you wrote:
                  >> A TNC-X kit sells for $63 with the enclosure (no USB), so I guess
                  >> $65 for an OT2m kit wouldn't be such a bad deal, considering what
                  >> it does.
                  >
                  > Add $20 to the TNC-X for the digipeater daughterboard. And I
                  > suspect the X-Track daughterboard as well. So that's another
                  > $17. So yours should be at least $102 by the same comparison.
                  > Make it $129 to make a decent profit.

                  I think that Scott should have a separate "donate" area for people
                  who feel the product is too cheap. Go ahead, Tony, drop in as many
                  shekels as you want to into the bucket. :) On the other hand, I'm
                  hoping that he leans toward not maximizing profit, but instead
                  minimizing cost but without causing any personal loss or hardship.
                  Maybe that attitude comes from my choosing to work for a non-profit,
                  so not only is my money limited, but I'm focused always on doing
                  things for the efficiency of money, not the surplus of it.

                  And indeed, this is way off topic, so I should shut up now.

                  Steve
                • Tanner Lovelace
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 6, 2006
                    On 8/4/06, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

                    > A TNC-X kit sells for $63 with the enclosure (no USB), so I guess
                    > $65 for an OT2m kit wouldn't be such a bad deal, considering
                    > what it does.
                    >
                    > Add $20 to the TNC-X for the digipeater daughterboard.
                    > And I suspect the X-Track daughterboard as well. So that's
                    > another $17. So yours should be at least $102 by the
                    > same comparison. Make it $129 to make a decent profit.

                    There's a huge psychological barrier for something that
                    costs over $100. If the raw parts cost is less than that, I'd
                    recommend not going into 3 digits. That's not to say I don't
                    think profit should be made, I'm just trying to point out some
                    considerations.

                    Personally, I'm rather dismayed by how much radio gear
                    costs these days, especially being in the computer field
                    where costs on everything go down by leaps and bounds
                    every year. (Yes, I realize there are economies of scale,
                    but that's still another barrier for getting new people into
                    the hobby.)

                    Cheers,
                    Tanner Lovelace
                    KB4TYE

                    --
                    Tanner Lovelace
                    clubjuggler at gmail dot com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                      Scott,

                      If it's anywhere near the price indicated (assembled), I'll buy one
                      immediately. I don't have time to do the assembly. If for no other
                      reason, I would LOVE to put it on with ui-view32 at my home station to
                      evaluate the effectiveness of the "smart" digi-peater function with
                      hop count limiting. Everything I use is KISS mode with AGWPEpro
                      supervising the TNCs.

                      Will it run open squelch? (Wrong question...will it accept audio from
                      my radio that is open squelch. Lots of tncs won't..they refuse to key
                      up if noise is present, whereas the True DCD tncs don't look at noise
                      to the the hold-off, but actually look for packet tones to do the
                      hold-off) I'm using a PK-900 at the moment, running in open squelch
                      mode (true DCD). This feature is not the end of the world, but I
                      prefer it.

                      73,

                      ...hasan, N0AN

                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, <scott@...> wrote:

                      > Still debating on the price. I want to have *some* assembled version
                      > available for somewhere in the $60-$70 range, but it's going to be
                      easier to
                      > pull that off for a surface mount version. Even with custom
                      printing, the
                      > OT1x-style cases cost under $3, and the component cost is less - the MCU
                      > socket alone adds a couple of bucks to the OT2m price.

                    • Curt, WE7U
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                        On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, n0anhasan50212 wrote:

                        > Will it run open squelch? (Wrong question...will it accept audio from
                        > my radio that is open squelch. Lots of tncs won't..they refuse to key
                        > up if noise is present, whereas the True DCD tncs don't look at noise
                        > to the the hold-off, but actually look for packet tones to do the
                        > hold-off) I'm using a PK-900 at the moment, running in open squelch
                        > mode (true DCD). This feature is not the end of the world, but I
                        > prefer it.

                        Actually, it _is_ an end-of-the-world feature!

                        For a mobile or portable setup where I have to hook to speaker-out
                        and mic-in, running with the squelch open means I have one fewer
                        control to mess me up. The only controls I then have to worry about
                        are volume and power.

                        I've had my Jeep tracker performing poorly at times over the years,
                        often because I've accidentally bumped one or the other control.
                        Now that the radio and TNC are inside an ammo-can it happens less.
                        These days I'm often pulling my OpenTracker to burn in new firmware
                        versions, so the chances are going up again...

                      • scott@opentrac.org
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                          Yes, it'll run open squelch - just make sure the SWDCD option is turned on.  Works well.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                            Here's a solution to that: http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=7340  Install a waterproof d-sub connector on the ammo can and update the firmware without opening it up.

                            Scott

                            On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, n0anhasan50212 wrote:

                            > Will it run open squelch? (Wrong question...will it accept audio from
                            > my radio that is open squelch. Lots of tncs won't..they refuse to key
                            > up if noise is present, whereas the True DCD tncs don't look at noise
                            > to the the hold-off, but actually look for packet tones to do the
                            > hold-off) I'm using a PK-900 at the moment, running in open squelch
                            > mode (true DCD). This feature is not the end of the world, but I
                            > prefer it.

                            Actually, it _is_ an end-of-the-world feature!

                            For a mobile or portable setup where I have to hook to speaker-out
                            and mic-in, running with the squelch open means I have one fewer
                            control to mess me up. The only controls I then have to worry about
                            are volume and power.

                            I've had my Jeep tracker performing poorly at times over the years,
                            often because I've accidentally bumped one or the other control.
                            Now that the radio and TNC are inside an ammo-can it happens less.
                            These days I'm often pulling my OpenTracker to burn in new firmware
                            versions, so the chances are going up again...

                            --
                            Curt, WE7U. APRS Client Comparisons: http://www.eskimo. com/~archer
                            "Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. " -- WE7U

                          • J. Lance Cotton
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                              scott@... wrote:
                              > Yes, it'll run open squelch - just make sure the SWDCD option is turned
                              > on. Works well.

                              So what does it do with SWDCD is off?

                              --
                              J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
                              joe@...
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                                Then it goes by the energy detect on the demodulator chip.  White noise or voice will trigger it.

                                joe@lightningflash. net
                                http://kj5o. lightningflash. net
                                Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
                                cookies.

                              • hasan schiers
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 9, 2006
                                  Thanks Scott, I can't wait!