Re: [tracker2] Anyone in the Fort Lauderdale area?

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2009
      I assume they've run into the same supply issues I have in Taiwan. For
      the first part of the month (and most of the month before that) they
      were stringing me along with expected ship dates always a week away, but
      now there's absolutely nothing from them. I've got someone driving by
      their offices today to see if they've closed up shop or if they're just
      hiding from irate customers.

      I did find a Korean supplier at the Canton Fair that offered a good
      price on similar units; the won is weak right now and they need the
      business. Any new supplier is going to take a while to actually get
      anything to me, though. The Deluo pinout is not the most common one,
      and for an ADS-GM1 replacement I need my own DB9 pinout.

      Scott

      Larry Ewan wrote:

      > Scott,
      > I had a GPS for the D-710 on order with them from mid-Jan until 3 weeks ago
      > (April 2nd) when they emailed me and offered to cancel my order if I chose.
      >
      > This is an excerpt from their email "We are contacting you in order to
      > inform that unfortunatelly up to the moment we dont have an ETA on when we
      > will be able to ship this unit. We are experinecing a production delay and
      > due this inconvenience we are looking for new manufacturers too."
      >
      > Not looking good. I cancelled with them.
      >
      > Larry
      > N9jy
      >
      > On 4/28/09 1:21 PM, "Scott Miller" <scott@...
      > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
      >
      > > I'm going nuts - it's been weeks since I've been able to get a peep out
      > > of Deluo, and now no one is answering the phones at any number I have
      > > for them. I've got a huge stack of orders waiting for Deluo GPS
      > > receivers, and no ETA on when I'll have something.
      > >
      > > If anyone in the Fort Lauderdale area wants to do a little recon and see
      > > if anyone's even still in their offices, I'll send an OpenTracker+ kit
      > > or equivalent store credit in return.
      > >
      > > In the meantime, I'm going direct to Deluo's suppliers and trying that
      > > angle, but from what I can see Deluo's mini-DIN pinout isn't the same as
      > > the standard product offered by the two suppliers I've checked, which
      > > complicates things. If Deluo's still around and able to ship something,
      > > great. If not, at least if I can prove that it might smooth things over
      > > with the Taiwanese suppliers.
      > >
      > > At this point I don't even care if I make a profit on the GPS receivers,
      > > I just want to get the damn things shipped.
      > >
      > > I have two possible addresses, the first from my (former?) account
      > > manager's sig, the other from the website:
      > >
      > > 401 East Las Olas Blvd Suite 1400
      > > Ft. Lauderdale, FL
      > >
      > > 10084 NW 53rd Street
      > > Sunrise, FL
      > >
      > > If anyone wants to check it out, let me know.

    • G8UVE
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28, 2009
        There seems to be a supply problem

        GPS's are available , but in very small quantities and at stupid prices

        For what we were paying < £20.00 in the UK

        From "UK sourced" suppliers , they are now > £45.00

        For the last 5 weeks several of the UK Internet suppliers have been awaiting
        supplies for the GPS Pucks

        If that is repeated world wide there seems to be a vast reduction in output and
        therefore a shortage

        David G8UVE

        :
        : I did find a Korean supplier at the Canton Fair that offered a good
        : price on similar units; the won is weak right now and they need the
        : business. Any new supplier is going to take a while to actually get
        : anything to me, though. The Deluo pinout is not the most common one,
        : and for an ADS-GM1 replacement I need my own DB9 pinout.
        :
        : Scott
        :
        : Larry Ewan wrote:
        : >
        : >
        : >
[...]
        : > >
[...]
        : > > ------------------------------------
        : > >
        : > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        : > >
        : > >
        : > >
        : >
        : >
        :
        :
        :
        : ------------------------------------
        :
        : Yahoo! Groups Links
        :
        :
        :
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 28, 2009
          Yeah, I think you're right. Last summer (before the economic meltdown)
          the problem with the ADS-GM1 was damage to the injection mold. I got
          part of the order from Progin, and then things started to go to hell.
          It sounds like at least one of their major suppliers went out of
          business, and as interconnected as these things are, and as specialized
          as some of the parts are, it would not surprise me at all if the
          problems extended to some degree at least throughout Taiwan (which is
          where most of the GPS pucks are made) and maybe elsewhere as well.

          Scott

          G8UVE wrote:

          > There seems to be a supply problem
          >
          > GPS's are available , but in very small quantities and at stupid prices
          >
          > For what we were paying < £20.00 in the UK
          >
          > >From "UK sourced" suppliers , they are now > £45.00
          >
          > For the last 5 weeks several of the UK Internet suppliers have been
          > awaiting
          > supplies for the GPS Pucks
          >
          > If that is repeated world wide there seems to be a vast reduction in
          > output and
          > therefore a shortage
          >
          > David G8UVE

        • Bob Poortinga
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29, 2009
            "G8UVE" <g8uve@...> writes:

            > There seems to be a supply problem

            Maybe this has got something to do with it:

            <http://investor.sirf.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=364338>

            "San Jose, Calif. - February 9, 2009 - SiRF Technology Holdings, Inc.
            (NASDAQ: SIRF), a leading provider of GPS-enabled silicon and premium
            software location platforms, today announced a definitive agreement
            under which SiRF and CSR plc (LSE: CSR) will merge in a stock-for-stock
            transaction to create a global leader in connectivity and location platforms.
            The Boards of Directors of both companies have unanimously approved the
            transaction, which is expected to close in the second quarter of 2009."

            Perhaps, this new company which probably holds close to a monopoly in GPS
            chipsets has decided to create an artificial shortage in order to drive up
            prices? Is the date of this merger just a coincidence? I suppose it is
            also possible that SiRF stopped or limited production for a while in order
            to inflate its balance sheet before the merger. Draw your own conclusions.

            73 de
            --
            Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
            Bloomington, Indiana US
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 29, 2009
              From what I heard, the SiRF merger came out of a patent dispute.
              Progin only ever mentioned problems with producing the housings, though.

              Scott