Garmin 12xl

  • catalina6075
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 14, 2009
      Hey gang,
      I just got on the packet system with the tracker 2 and are unable to connect my Garmin 12xl. Is there some special set up I need to do with the configuration program, or the garmin interface??? HELP..
      Thanks,
      Tony..
    • k7ybz
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 14, 2009
        Tony,

        We are going to need a little more data in order to help.

        1. How are you attempting to connect the 12XL to the OT2?
        If you are using the Garmin supplied PC interface cable, you will need to at least check the wiring for data-out and data-in on the data plug to the 12XL and the pins on the DB-9, based on the 12XL manual on page 51 and the OT2 manual:

        12XL DATA OUT to OT2 PIN 2 (PORT A DATA IN)
        12XL DATA IN to OT2 PIN 3 (PORT A DATA OUT)

        2. How did you set the interface on the 12XL?
        Should be NEMA/NEMA or NONE/NEMA. You might get something with GARMIN/GARMIN, but the 12XL is not a FMI capable GPS unit and I don't know how the OT2 would handle that. I didn't see if there was an option for baud rate, but if the OT2 AMODE is set for auto, it should connect anyway.

        That's about the best I can come up with.
        As a note, you could make a cable to interface between the 12XL and the OT2 where the OT2 can supply 12V to the 12XL besides passing data.

        Larry
        K7YBZ

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "catalina6075" <catalina6075@...> wrote:

        > Hey gang,
        > I just got on the packet system with the tracker 2 and are unable to connect my Garmin 12xl. Is there some special set up I need to do with the configuration program, or the garmin interface??? HELP..
        > Thanks,
        > Tony..

      • catalina6075
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

          > Tony,
          >
          > We are going to need a little more data in order to help.
          >
          > 1. How are you attempting to connect the 12XL to the OT2?
          > If you are using the Garmin supplied PC interface cable, you will need to at least check the wiring for data-out and data-in on the data plug to the 12XL and the pins on the DB-9, based on the 12XL manual on page 51 and the OT2 manual:
          >
          > 12XL DATA OUT to OT2 PIN 2 (PORT A DATA IN)
          > 12XL DATA IN to OT2 PIN 3 (PORT A DATA OUT)
          >

          > 2. How did you set the interface on the 12XL?
          > Should be NEMA/NEMA or NONE/NEMA. You might get something with GARMIN/GARMIN, but the 12XL is not a FMI capable GPS unit and I don't know how the OT2 would handle that. I didn't see if there was an option for baud rate, but if the OT2 AMODE is set for auto, it should connect anyway.
          >
          > That's about the best I can come up with.
          > As a note, you could make a cable to interface between the 12XL and the OT2 where the OT2 can supply 12V to the 12XL besides passing data.
          >
          > Larry
          > K7YBZ
          >
          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "catalina6075" <catalina6075@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey gang,
          > > I just got on the packet system with the tracker 2 and are unable to connect my Garmin 12xl. Is there some special set up I need to do with the configuration program, or the garmin interface??? HELP..
          > > Thanks,
          > > Tony..

          Larry,
          Thanks for your input, appreciate it. I have checked the cable and it is correct in wiring config. I was not sure how to set up the interface on the 12XL. I had it set to nema to nema and 4800 baud. Was receiving waypoints on the gps lcd, but no output to the packet stream. I am not familiar with garmin/nema/sentences..etc...Will keep trying and see if I can get output to the garmin. Thanks again and 73, Tony
        • k7ybz
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
            Tony,

            I assume you mean getting data from the Garmin to the OT2. If the Garmin is outputing data to the OT2, the green ACT LED on the OT2 will be blinking about every second or so as the 12XL sends the position data, that is if the OT2 recognizes the data. Otherwise the ACT LED will blink RED twice rapidly about every second or so.

            The one thing that started bothering me was maybe Garmin did something funny in the serial cable since it was to connect to a PC. Garmin is notorious for doing things non-standard. You could try enabling flow control in the OT2 as a test. This will disable port B just in case. The other options to set in the OT2 are AMODE to AUTO and ABAUD to 4800 or set AUTOBAUD to ON if it isn't already.

            Larry
            K7YBZ

            > Larry,
            > Thanks for your input, appreciate it. I have checked the cable and it is correct in wiring config. I was not sure how to set up the interface on the 12XL. I had it set to nema to nema and 4800 baud. Was receiving waypoints on the gps lcd, but no output to the packet stream. I am not familiar with garmin/nema/sentences..etc...Will keep trying and see if I can get output to the garmin. Thanks again and 73, Tony

          • Curt, WE7U
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
              On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, k7ybz wrote:

              > I assume you mean getting data from the Garmin to the OT2. If the
              > Garmin is outputing data to the OT2, the green ACT LED on the OT2
              > will be blinking about every second or so as the 12XL sends the
              > position data, that is if the OT2 recognizes the data. Otherwise
              > the ACT LED will blink RED twice rapidly about every second or so.
              >
              > The one thing that started bothering me was maybe Garmin did
              > something funny in the serial cable since it was to connect to a
              > PC. Garmin is notorious for doing things non-standard.

              Like changing the RS-232 voltage depending on the Garmin battery
              voltage? They do that. That could be the problem if your batteries
              are low. Try running the Garmin with fresh batteries or on a DC
              power supply (or car voltage).

              Set the Garmin to "NMEA IN/NMEA OUT". Ignore people who tell you to
              set it to NEMA IN/NEMA OUT... Aren't those electrical outlet boxes?
              hi hi.

              I often run one of my GPS-II+'s (similar vintage to your Garmin but
              different model) on an OT1 or a Tracker2 and they work great. Using
              the Tracker2 I get the icons appearing for the other APRS stations
              in the area.

              One thing I see often is a waypoint error message on the GPS-II+'s
              when using the Tracker2. It must be because the Tracker2 is send
              waypoints longer than 6 characters (6 is set as the limit in the
              Tracker2) or sending characters that the Garmin can't handle.
              That's the only real problem I've noticed. I have to hit a button
              on the Garmin to get rid of the message each time.

              --
              Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
              http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
                curt,

                You caught me. I am dyslexic. Yes it is supposed to be NMEA/NMEA.

                Larry
                K7YBZ

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Curt, WE7U" <archer@...> wrote:

                > On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, k7ybz wrote:
                >
                > > I assume you mean getting data from the Garmin to the OT2. If the
                > > Garmin is outputing data to the OT2, the green ACT LED on the OT2
                > > will be blinking about every second or so as the 12XL sends the
                > > position data, that is if the OT2 recognizes the data. Otherwise
                > > the ACT LED will blink RED twice rapidly about every second or so.
                > >
                > > The one thing that started bothering me was maybe Garmin did
                > > something funny in the serial cable since it was to connect to a
                > > PC. Garmin is notorious for doing things non-standard.
                >
                > Like changing the RS-232 voltage depending on the Garmin battery
                > voltage? They do that. That could be the problem if your batteries
                > are low. Try running the Garmin with fresh batteries or on a DC
                > power supply (or car voltage).
                >
                > Set the Garmin to "NMEA IN/NMEA OUT". Ignore people who tell you to
                > set it to NEMA IN/NEMA OUT... Aren't those electrical outlet boxes?
                > hi hi.
                >
                > I often run one of my GPS-II+'s (similar vintage to your Garmin but
                > different model) on an OT1 or a Tracker2 and they work great. Using
                > the Tracker2 I get the icons appearing for the other APRS stations
                > in the area.
                >
                > One thing I see often is a waypoint error message on the GPS-II+'s
                > when using the Tracker2. It must be because the Tracker2 is send
                > waypoints longer than 6 characters (6 is set as the limit in the
                > Tracker2) or sending characters that the Garmin can't handle.
                > That's the only real problem I've noticed. I have to hit a button
                > on the Garmin to get rid of the message each time.
                >
                > --
                > Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                > http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                > Lotto: A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
                > Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
                > The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!"

              • catalina6075
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Curt, WE7U" <archer@...> wrote:

                  > On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, k7ybz wrote:
                  >
                  > > I assume you mean getting data from the Garmin to the OT2. If the
                  > > Garmin is outputing data to the OT2, the green ACT LED on the OT2
                  > > will be blinking about every second or so as the 12XL sends the
                  > > position data, that is if the OT2 recognizes the data. Otherwise
                  > > the ACT LED will blink RED twice rapidly about every second or so.
                  > >
                  > > The one thing that started bothering me was maybe Garmin did
                  > > something funny in the serial cable since it was to connect to a
                  > > PC. Garmin is notorious for doing things non-standard.
                  >
                  > Like changing the RS-232 voltage depending on the Garmin battery
                  > voltage? They do that. That could be the problem if your batteries
                  > are low. Try running the Garmin with fresh batteries or on a DC
                  > power supply (or car voltage).
                  >
                  > Set the Garmin to "NMEA IN/NMEA OUT". Ignore people who tell you to
                  > set it to NEMA IN/NEMA OUT... Aren't those electrical outlet boxes?
                  > hi hi.
                  >
                  > I often run one of my GPS-II+'s (similar vintage to your Garmin but
                  > different model) on an OT1 or a Tracker2 and they work great. Using
                  > the Tracker2 I get the icons appearing for the other APRS stations
                  > in the area.
                  >
                  > One thing I see often is a waypoint error message on the GPS-II+'s
                  > when using the Tracker2. It must be because the Tracker2 is send
                  > waypoints longer than 6 characters (6 is set as the limit in the
                  > Tracker2) or sending characters that the Garmin can't handle.
                  > That's the only real problem I've noticed. I have to hit a button
                  > on the Garmin to get rid of the message each time.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                  > http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                  > Lotto: A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
                  > Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
                  > The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!"

                  Thanks for the info Curt.
                  I originally had it set for "Nema in/ Nema Out". I had a red bliniking light and waypoints were seen on the 12xl, however nothing being sent via the streams. Perhaps I am not setting up the correct commands. I us the "CTWINCNF.EXE" program, but seems to be a lack of documentation on how to set it up. Just spend 14 hours trying to get it to work, totally frustrated. Now, I lost communications via the comm port. Unable to communicate with the tracker. Do you know if there is a hard reset somewhere, or should I throw it in trash.

                  Thanks and 73,
                  Tony
                • catalina6075
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
                    --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

                    > curt,
                    >
                    > You caught me. I am dyslexic. Yes it is supposed to be NMEA/NMEA.
                    >
                    > Larry
                    > K7YBZ
                    >
                    > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Curt, WE7U" <archer@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, k7ybz wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > I assume you mean getting data from the Garmin to the OT2. If the
                    > > > Garmin is outputing data to the OT2, the green ACT LED on the OT2
                    > > > will be blinking about every second or so as the 12XL sends the
                    > > > position data, that is if the OT2 recognizes the data. Otherwise
                    > > > the ACT LED will blink RED twice rapidly about every second or so.
                    > > >
                    > > > The one thing that started bothering me was maybe Garmin did
                    > > > something funny in the serial cable since it was to connect to a
                    > > > PC. Garmin is notorious for doing things non-standard.
                    > >
                    > > Like changing the RS-232 voltage depending on the Garmin battery
                    > > voltage? They do that. That could be the problem if your batteries
                    > > are low. Try running the Garmin with fresh batteries or on a DC
                    > > power supply (or car voltage).
                    > >
                    > > Set the Garmin to "NMEA IN/NMEA OUT". Ignore people who tell you to
                    > > set it to NEMA IN/NEMA OUT... Aren't those electrical outlet boxes?
                    > > hi hi.
                    > >
                    > > I often run one of my GPS-II+'s (similar vintage to your Garmin but
                    > > different model) on an OT1 or a Tracker2 and they work great. Using
                    > > the Tracker2 I get the icons appearing for the other APRS stations
                    > > in the area.
                    > >
                    > > One thing I see often is a waypoint error message on the GPS-II+'s
                    > > when using the Tracker2. It must be because the Tracker2 is send
                    > > waypoints longer than 6 characters (6 is set as the limit in the
                    > > Tracker2) or sending characters that the Garmin can't handle.
                    > > That's the only real problem I've noticed. I have to hit a button
                    > > on the Garmin to get rid of the message each time.
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                    > > http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                    > > Lotto: A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
                    > > Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
                    > > The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!"

                    Curt,
                    You got me doing it also....."NMEA/NMEA" regarding my last post...N
                  • Curt, WE7U
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
                      On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, catalina6075 wrote:

                      > I originally had it set for "Nema in/ Nema Out". I had a red
                      > bliniking light and waypoints were seen on the 12xl, however
                      > nothing being sent via the streams. Perhaps I am not setting up
                      > the correct commands. I us the "CTWINCNF.EXE" program, but seems
                      > to be a lack of documentation on how to set it up. Just spend 14
                      > hours trying to get it to work, totally frustrated. Now, I lost
                      > communications via the comm port. Unable to communicate with the
                      > tracker. Do you know if there is a hard reset somewhere, or
                      > should I throw it in trash.

                      I believe there is a hard reset capability, but you lose your
                      settings and waypoints and trackers, etc. Search for the "Garmin
                      FAQ" via Google, written by a friend of mine, Lane Holdcroft (more
                      search terms).

                      It should be NMEA IN/NMEA OUT at 4800 baud. That's what I've been
                      using and it's been working on my GPS-II+, just last week. I'm
                      currently using a hocky-puck type GPS, but it's doing NMEA out at
                      4800 baud as well into the Tracker2.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
                        Trash can is located at my house!

                        On 4/15/09, catalina6075 <catalina6075@...> wrote:
                        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Curt, WE7U" <archer@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, k7ybz wrote:
                        >>
                        >> > I assume you mean getting data from the Garmin to the OT2. If the
                        >> > Garmin is outputing data to the OT2, the green ACT LED on the OT2
                        >> > will be blinking about every second or so as the 12XL sends the
                        >> > position data, that is if the OT2 recognizes the data. Otherwise
                        >> > the ACT LED will blink RED twice rapidly about every second or so.
                        >> >
                        >> > The one thing that started bothering me was maybe Garmin did
                        >> > something funny in the serial cable since it was to connect to a
                        >> > PC. Garmin is notorious for doing things non-standard.
                        >>
                        >> Like changing the RS-232 voltage depending on the Garmin battery
                        >> voltage? They do that. That could be the problem if your batteries
                        >> are low. Try running the Garmin with fresh batteries or on a DC
                        >> power supply (or car voltage).
                        >>
                        >> Set the Garmin to "NMEA IN/NMEA OUT". Ignore people who tell you to
                        >> set it to NEMA IN/NEMA OUT... Aren't those electrical outlet boxes?
                        >> hi hi.
                        >>
                        >> I often run one of my GPS-II+'s (similar vintage to your Garmin but
                        >> different model) on an OT1 or a Tracker2 and they work great. Using
                        >> the Tracker2 I get the icons appearing for the other APRS stations
                        >> in the area.
                        >>
                        >> One thing I see often is a waypoint error message on the GPS-II+'s
                        >> when using the Tracker2. It must be because the Tracker2 is send
                        >> waypoints longer than 6 characters (6 is set as the limit in the
                        >> Tracker2) or sending characters that the Garmin can't handle.
                        >> That's the only real problem I've noticed. I have to hit a button
                        >> on the Garmin to get rid of the message each time.
                        >>
                        >> --
                        >> Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                        >> http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                        >> Lotto: A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
                        >> Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
                        >> The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!"
                        >>
                        > Thanks for the info Curt.
                        > I originally had it set for "Nema in/ Nema Out". I had a red bliniking
                        > light and waypoints were seen on the 12xl, however nothing being sent via
                        > the streams. Perhaps I am not setting up the correct commands. I us the
                        > "CTWINCNF.EXE" program, but seems to be a lack of documentation on how to
                        > set it up. Just spend 14 hours trying to get it to work, totally frustrated.
                        > Now, I lost communications via the comm port. Unable to communicate with the
                        > tracker. Do you know if there is a hard reset somewhere, or should I throw
                        > it in trash.
                        >
                        > Thanks and 73,
                        > Tony

                        Sent from my mobile device
                      • catalina6075
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
                          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Curt, WE7U" <archer@...> wrote:

                          > On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, catalina6075 wrote:
                          >
                          > > I originally had it set for "Nema in/ Nema Out". I had a red
                          > > bliniking light and waypoints were seen on the 12xl, however
                          > > nothing being sent via the streams. Perhaps I am not setting up
                          > > the correct commands. I us the "CTWINCNF.EXE" program, but seems
                          > > to be a lack of documentation on how to set it up. Just spend 14
                          > > hours trying to get it to work, totally frustrated. Now, I lost
                          > > communications via the comm port. Unable to communicate with the
                          > > tracker. Do you know if there is a hard reset somewhere, or
                          > > should I throw it in trash.
                          >
                          > I believe there is a hard reset capability, but you lose your
                          > settings and waypoints and trackers, etc. Search for the "Garmin
                          > FAQ" via Google, written by a friend of mine, Lane Holdcroft (more
                          > search terms).
                          >
                          > It should be NMEA IN/NMEA OUT at 4800 baud. That's what I've been
                          > using and it's been working on my GPS-II+, just last week. I'm
                          > currently using a hocky-puck type GPS, but it's doing NMEA out at
                          > 4800 baud as well into the Tracker2.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                          > http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                          > Lotto: A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
                          > Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
                          > The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!"

                          Curt,
                          Thanks again. I'll keep at it and am sure will have it up and running shortly. The box is working fine, just need to work on the interface with Garmin and I will check out your friends site. James, sorry, I threw it in the trash, but it just bounced back up on the desk.
                          Later guys and 73,
                          Tony
                        • Curt, WE7U
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
                            On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, catalina6075 wrote:

                            > Thanks again. I'll keep at it and am sure will have it up and
                            > running shortly. The box is working fine, just need to work on
                            > the interface with Garmin and I will check out your friends
                            > site.

                            Looked up the reset. Lane's Garmin FAQ says this:

                            Full reset and memory clear:
                            Hold down MARK while pressing on the POWER button (CLEARS MEMORY!!!).
                            DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO LOSE ALL SAVED INFO!!!!!!!!!!
                            Waypoints, Track, Routes and more will all be gone. I would not do this
                            unless my GPS unit was having serious problems (and then only as a last
                            resort attempt to fix it before sending it in for repair)! It returns
                            all settings to initial factory defaults.

                            Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                            http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                          • Barry L. Lankford
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
                              catalina6075 wrote:
                              > Thanks for the info Curt. I originally had it set for "Nema in/ Nema
                              > Out". I had a red bliniking light and waypoints were seen on the 12xl,
                              > however nothing being sent via the streams. Perhaps I am not setting up
                              > the correct commands. I us the "CTWINCNF.EXE" program, but seems to be a
                              > lack of documentation on how to set it up. Just spend 14 hours trying to
                              > get it to work, totally frustrated. Now, I lost communications via the
                              > comm port. Unable to communicate with the tracker. Do you know if there
                              > is a hard reset somewhere, or should I throw it in trash.
                              >
                              > Thanks and 73, Tony

                              I have a GPS12XL and have never had any problem using it with trackers. I
                              don't have a Tracker 2 but I'm somewhat familiar with it.

                              How do you know you're not already getting GPS data to the Tracker 2?
                              There are a myriad of reasons why your Tracker 2 might not be transmitting,
                              and the GPS is only one of them.

                              I don't recall what LED indication the Tracker 2 has for indicating that
                              it's receiving valid, locked NMEA data from your GPS, but I'd review the
                              user's guide to see what that is, since being certain that the Tracker 2 is
                              getting valid data is the first step in troubleshooting why you are having
                              problems. I'd imagine the LED indication shows three situations: [1]
                              receiving no data at all; [2] receiving NMEA position statements but not
                              necessarily valid data (GPS unlocked); and [3] receiving valid data (GPS
                              locked).

                              What version of firmware does your 12XL have and what model number of
                              Garmin cable are you using with it? IIRC, the Garmin cables have a piece
                              of heatshrink tubing on them with the assembly number printed on it. You
                              can upgrade the firmware yourself, but beware there are at least two
                              hardware versions of the 12XL, and you can't use just any of the versions
                              on all of the hardware versions. You can see the current firmware version
                              for a few seconds when you first turn it on, and the current firmware
                              version is used as a key to what hardware version you have and what
                              versions of firmware you can update to.

                              As others have written, you should set the serial port protocol to
                              NMEA/NMEA. But also, on the same setup page, you can select 3 or 4
                              versions of NMEA protocol as well as the baud rate. I'd set the NMEA
                              protocol to the latest version, and set the baud rate to 4800. You could
                              try all the NMEA versions available on the 12XL, but I'd think the latest
                              one should be good for something as recently designed as the Tracker 2.

                              By the way, even though the 12XL doesn't have maps, it does have a position
                              plotting page and will show waypoints if your Tracker 2 is setup to send
                              waypoints to the GPS. So, you'll at least be able to show other stations'
                              positions relative to your position and to any tracks you may be displaying.

                              In the mean time you can set up a terminal program (HyperTerm, TeraTermPro
                              or equiv.) for 4800 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and no flow
                              control. Hook your GPS cable directly to the computer's serial port (I'm
                              assuming the Garmin cable has a DE9 female connector on it) and see if
                              anything's coming out. Let us know how that works out.

                              Barry N4MSJ
                            • catalina6075
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
                                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Barry L. Lankford" <BarryL@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > protocol to the latest version, and set the baud rate to 4800. You could
                                > try all the NMEA versions available on the 12XL, but I'd think the latest
                                > one should be good for something as recently designed as the Tracker 2.
                                >
                                > By the way, even though the 12XL doesn't have maps, it does have a position
                                > plotting page and will show waypoints if your Tracker 2 is setup to send
                                > waypoints to the GPS. So, you'll at least be able to show other stations'
                                > positions relative to your position and to any tracks you may be displaying.
                                >
                                > In the mean time you can set up a terminal program (HyperTerm, TeraTermPro
                                > or equiv.) for 4800 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and no flow
                                > control. Hook your GPS cable directly to the computer's serial port (I'm
                                > assuming the Garmin cable has a DE9 female connector on it) and see if
                                > anything's coming out. Let us know how that works out.

                                Barry,
                                Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated. My Garmin 12xl
                                is running software version 4.60 and I have it setup for
                                NMEA/NMEA NMEA 0183 2.0 4800Baud.

                                The connector from the Tracker to the Garmin is as
                                follows:

                                Tracker db9 Pin 2 to Garmin data out
                                Pin 3 to Garmin data in
                                Pin 4 Gnd
                                Pin 5 to power, which I have picked up off
                                the tracker (5V).

                                Can you send me a list of your Tracker commands or a copy of the command. I may have it set up incorrectly and need to see the command set.

                                Thanks and 73,
                                Tony
                              • k7ybz
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
                                  Tony,

                                  I think my reply went into cyber-space. This my be a duplicate, but shouldn't the voltage to the 12XL be 12V instead of 5V?

                                  That may be your problem.

                                  Larry
                                  K7YBZ

                                  > Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated. My Garmin 12xl
                                  > is running software version 4.60 and I have it setup for
                                  > NMEA/NMEA NMEA 0183 2.0 4800Baud.
                                  >
                                  > The connector from the Tracker to the Garmin is as
                                  > follows:
                                  >
                                  > Tracker db9 Pin 2 to Garmin data out
                                  > Pin 3 to Garmin data in
                                  > Pin 4 Gnd
                                  > Pin 5 to power, which I have picked up off
                                  > the tracker (5V).
                                  >
                                  > Can you send me a list of your Tracker commands or a copy of the command. I may have it set up incorrectly and need to see the command set.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks and 73,
                                  > Tony

                                • Barry L. Lankford
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
                                    catalina6075 wrote:
                                    > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Barry L. Lankford" <BarryL@...> wrote:
                                    >> catalina6075 wrote:
                                    >>> Thanks for the info Curt. I originally had it set for "Nema in/ Nema
                                    >>> Out". I had a red bliniking light and waypoints were seen on the 12xl,
                                    >>> however nothing being sent via the streams. Perhaps I am not setting up
                                    >>> the correct commands. I us the "CTWINCNF.EXE" program, but seems to be a
                                    >>> lack of documentation on how to set it up. Just spend 14 hours trying to
                                    >>> get it to work, totally frustrated. Now, I lost communications via the
                                    >>> comm port. Unable to communicate with the tracker. Do you know if there
                                    >>> is a hard reset somewhere, or should I throw it in trash.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Thanks and 73, Tony
                                    >>>
                                    > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Barry L. Lankford" <BarryL@...> wrote:
                                    >> I have a GPS12XL and have never had any problem using it with trackers. I
                                    >> don't have a Tracker 2 but I'm somewhat familiar with it.

                                    See below.

                                    >> How do you know you're not already getting GPS data to the Tracker 2?
                                    >> There are a myriad of reasons why your Tracker 2 might not be transmitting,
                                    >> and the GPS is only one of them.

                                    What was the answer to this one?

                                    >> [snipped]
                                    >> What version of firmware does your 12XL have and what model number of
                                    >> Garmin cable are you using with it? IIRC, the Garmin cables have a piece
                                    >> of heatshrink tubing on them with the assembly number printed on it.

                                    Is the cable you have actually manufactured by Garmin? Or is it just a
                                    generic 'Garmin' cable, i.e., made by somebody to use with a Garmin GPS?

                                    What's the model number?

                                    >> [snipped]
                                    >> In the mean time you can set up a terminal program (HyperTerm, TeraTermPro
                                    >> or equiv.) for 4800 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and no flow
                                    >> control. Hook your GPS cable directly to the computer's serial port (I'm
                                    >> assuming the Garmin cable has a DE9 female connector on it) and see if
                                    >> anything's coming out. Let us know how that works out.

                                    Have you tried this test out? What output did you see?

                                    >> Barry N4MSJ
                                    >>
                                    > Barry,
                                    > Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated. My Garmin 12xl
                                    > is running software version 4.60 and I have it setup for
                                    > NMEA/NMEA NMEA 0183 2.0 4800Baud.

                                    v4.60 is the same version my GPS12XL has, so that's good. I'm also using
                                    NMEA 0183(2.0) so that's also good, although as I said above, I don't have
                                    a Tracker 2, but the GPS12XL has worked well with other trackers (TT3 and TT4).

                                    > The connector from the Tracker to the Garmin is as
                                    > follows:
                                    >
                                    > Tracker db9 Pin 2 to Garmin data out
                                    > Pin 3 to Garmin data in
                                    > Pin 4 Gnd
                                    > Pin 5 to power, which I have picked up off
                                    > the tracker (5V).

                                    Actually, pin 5 should be ground and pin 4 should have the power on it.
                                    This, if it isn't a careless typo, could be a real problem.

                                    The GPS12XL user manual says it needs 10 to 32 Vdc for external power, but
                                    I suspect, due to the way I believe the 12XL's external power switch-over
                                    works, if the input voltage is not adequate, it'll simply continue to take
                                    power from the 4 AA internal batteries. If the display stays on when
                                    attempting to use it with your Tracker 2 and you're feeding it 5 Vdc, then
                                    I'd say the power is probably actually coming from the AA cells.

                                    > Can you send me a list of your Tracker commands or a copy of the command. I may have it set up incorrectly and need to see the command set.

                                    No can do. As I wrote before, I don't have a Tracker 2. Duh!

                                    > Thanks and 73,
                                    > Tony

                                    Barry N4MSJ
                                  • Mike Zwingl oe3mzc
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 16, 2009
                                      I have a Garmin 12XL connected to an Opentracker1plus or an OT2m and both work without problems using NMEA-in and of course NMEA-out.

                                      If you dont have your GROUND correct, the serial input/output will not work, of course.
                                      so I sugest to check the Garmin cable carefully. Its only 4  wires, that shouldn't be too difficult.

                                      vy 73 de Mike
                                      oe3mzc

> [...]

                                      > Pin 5 to power, which I have picked up off
                                      > the tracker (5V).

                                      Actually, pin 5 should be ground and pin 4 should have the power on it.
                                      This, if it isn't a careless typo, could be a real problem.

                                      The GPS12XL user manual says it needs 10 to 32 Vdc for external power, but
                                      I suspect, due to the way I believe the 12XL's external power switch-over
                                      works, if the input voltage is not adequate, it'll simply continue to take
                                      power from the 4 AA internal batteries. If the display stays on when
                                      attempting to use it with your Tracker 2 and you're feeding it 5 Vdc, then
                                      I'd say the power is probably actually coming from the AA cells.

                                      > Can you send me a list of your Tracker commands or a copy of the command. I may have it set up incorrectly and need to see the command set.

                                      No can do. As I wrote before, I don't have a Tracker 2. Duh!

                                      Barry N4MSJ

                                    • Fred Hillhouse
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 16, 2009
                                        Hi Tony,

                                        I might be useful to examine what does work.

                                        If you can see received waypoints on the GPS, then the connection from OT-TX
                                        to GPS-RX and GND are okay. It also means the GPS and Tracker have working
                                        settings to allow communication.

                                        If the ACT LED is blinking then the connection from GPS-TX to OT-RX is wired
                                        correctly. If not, verify that your cable has the GPS-TX to OT-RX wired
                                        correctly. It might be useful for the GPS to have a clear view of the sky.

                                        Once you get this far, just about any configuration file for tracking and a
                                        NMEA GPS will work for you.

                                        I recently updated OTWINCFG.EXE and then updated the tracker firmware. That
                                        will clear any settings in the tracker. This might help you as well.

                                        Best regards,
                                        Fred
                                      • catalina6075
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 16, 2009
                                          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:

                                          > Tony,
                                          >
                                          > I think my reply went into cyber-space. This my be a duplicate, but shouldn't the voltage to the 12XL be 12V instead of 5V?
                                          >
                                          > That may be your problem.
                                          >
                                          > Larry
                                          > K7YBZ
                                          >
                                          > > Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated. My Garmin 12xl
                                          > > is running software version 4.60 and I have it setup for
                                          > > NMEA/NMEA NMEA 0183 2.0 4800Baud.
                                          > >
                                          > > The connector from the Tracker to the Garmin is as
                                          > > follows:
                                          > >
                                          > > Tracker db9 Pin 2 to Garmin data out
                                          > > Pin 3 to Garmin data in
                                          > > Pin 4 Gnd
                                          > > Pin 5 to power, which I have picked up off
                                          > > the tracker (5V).
                                          > >
                                          > > Can you send me a list of your Tracker commands or a copy of the command. I may have it set up incorrectly and need to see the command set.
                                          > >
                                          > > Thanks and 73,
                                          > > Tony

                                          Larry,
                                          My 12xl will run a various voltage. On battery it uses (4) 1.5v. It will run either 5 or 12v. Let you know when I get this working.
                                          Been out paint my boat all day, so did not play radio.
                                          73, Tony
                                        • catalina6075
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 16, 2009
                                            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Tony,
                                            >

                                            > I might be useful to examine what does work.
                                            >
                                            > If you can see received waypoints on the GPS, then the connection from OT-TX
                                            > to GPS-RX and GND are okay. It also means the GPS and Tracker have working
                                            > settings to allow communication.
                                            >
                                            > If the ACT LED is blinking then the connection from GPS-TX to OT-RX is wired
                                            > correctly. If not, verify that your cable has the GPS-TX to OT-RX wired
                                            > correctly. It might be useful for the GPS to have a clear view of the sky.
                                            >
                                            > Once you get this far, just about any configuration file for tracking and a
                                            > NMEA GPS will work for you.
                                            >
                                            > I recently updated OTWINCFG.EXE and then updated the tracker firmware. That
                                            > will clear any settings in the tracker. This might help you as well.
                                            >

                                            > Best regards,
                                            > Fred

                                            Fred,
                                            Thanks for the input. I will check out the updated firmware and OTWINCFG.EXE. Everything seems to be connected correctly using the right wiring config and NMEA to NMEA at 4800 Baud. I will check it out on Thursday and see what gives...Appreciate everyone's input / comments here on the forum...

                                            73,
                                            Tony
                                          • Barry L. Lankford
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 16, 2009
                                              catalina6075 wrote:
                                              > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@...> wrote:
                                              >> Tony,
                                              >>
                                              >> I think my reply went into cyber-space. This my be a duplicate, but
                                              >> shouldn't the voltage to the 12XL be 12V instead of 5V?
                                              >>
                                              >> That may be your problem.
                                              >>
                                              >> Larry K7YBZ
                                              >>
                                              >>> Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated. My Garmin 12xl is
                                              >>> running software version 4.60 and I have it setup for NMEA/NMEA
                                              >>> NMEA 0183 2.0 4800Baud.
                                              >>>
                                              >>> The connector from the Tracker to the Garmin is as follows:
                                              >>>
                                              >>> Tracker db9 Pin 2 to Garmin data out Pin 3 to Garmin data in
                                              >>> Pin 4 Gnd Pin 5 to power, which I have picked up off the
                                              >>> tracker (5V).
                                              >>>
                                              >>> Can you send me a list of your Tracker commands or a copy of the
                                              >>> command. I may have it set up incorrectly and need to see the
                                              >>> command set.
                                              >>>
                                              >>> Thanks and 73, Tony
                                              >>>
                                              > Larry, My 12xl will run a various voltage. On battery it uses (4) 1.5v.
                                              > It will run either 5 or 12v. Let you know when I get this working.
                                              > Been out paint my boat all day, so did not play radio. 73, Tony

                                              Look, just because the GPS12XL will run on 5 Volts ON BATTERY does *NOT*
                                              mean it'll run on 5 Volts via the external power connection. The user
                                              manual (on p.50) clearly states that the allowable external power range is
                                              10 to 32 Volts DC. And there are a number of very good engineering reasons
                                              why you can believe what they say.

                                              One is that there is the large voltage range to deal with on the external
                                              input so that an automobile's nominal 13.8 Vdc electrical supply may be
                                              safely used without special power conditioning components in the power
                                              cable. The automobile electrical supply is a poorly regulated, noisy
                                              source of power with the possibility of large spikes that can easily damage
                                              unprotected electronic equipment (look up "load dump"). So, I'm pretty
                                              sure the external power is pre-conditioned with a switching-type regulator.

                                              Another is that the voltages are low and simple diode isolation between
                                              external power and internal battery power is probably not used because of
                                              the need to do the isolation in a more energy efficient way because of the
                                              desire to get good battery life. Ordinary silicon diodes have a forward
                                              voltage drop of 0.6 Volts, which is a considerable portion of the 4.8 Volts
                                              you get from four 1.2 Volt rechargeable AA cells, and you wouldn't want an
                                              internal power switch-over method that'd waste that much power. I imagine
                                              the presence of suitable external voltage is sensed and an FET is used to
                                              switch in the voltage to the internal circuits through a switching type
                                              regulator. All this complexity is done to provide power efficiency (for
                                              good battery life) and the ability to deal with the undesirable
                                              characteristics of the typical automotive supply.

                                              Barry N4MSJ