Re: [tracker2] Another one (ETHERNET)

  • Curt, WE7U
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
      On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

      >> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Adam Fast wrote:
      >>
      >>> The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
      >>> connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
      >>> sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
      >>> better :)
      >>
      >> How's this?
      >>
      >> http://www.gridconnect.com/xportdirect.html
      >>

      >> I have a one of these on a board here which is a bit more, but
      >> haven't really played with it:
      >>
      >> http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115
      >>

      >> Also, a fellow engineer mentioned that Microchip has a processor
      >> with ethernet on it that's very cheap, and you put a transformer
      >> module with it for something like a $10 to $12 solution.
      >

      > He just sent me this:

      > http://www.nkcelectronics.com/enc28j60-ethernet-interface-b2860.html
      >
      > The ENC28J60 is the chip I was talking about. I am still looking
      > for the cheap development board I ran across.
      >
      > I talked myself out of it simply because I knew I was too busy to do
      > anything with it, but even the board above is only $25/ea.

      And another cheaper one, same processor as above:

      http://www.ekitszone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

      Note that those last two use the SPI bus for interfacing, not a
      serial bus, so there would be some programming involved on Scott's
      end to integrate something like that. It could certainly be done
      though, and would be a cheap solution, particularly if he just
      integrated the chips onto his board.

      --
      Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
      http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
        The ENC28J60 is not a processor; it's layer 2 (and 1, once you add a
        mag jack). There's lots of work to do if you want to speak an IP
        transport layer with this beastie.

        There's a Wiznet module that adds a lot more than the ENC28J60 (you
        get layers 1 - 4). You can get the IC, a module (with mag jack, etc),
        or get it on an Arduino Ethernet shield.

        I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
        serial commands).

        Any of these will still require a processor to do anything
        interesting, but the XPort's serial port is probably the easiest to
        integrate.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • Curt, WE7U
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
          On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

          > I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
          > serial commands).
          >
          > Any of these will still require a processor to do anything
          > interesting, but the XPort's serial port is probably the easiest to
          > integrate.

          Ok, so we're talking $28 without much in the way of software to do.
          Not bad. Better than $100.

          --
          Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
          http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
        • Fred Hillhouse Jr
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009

            I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
            serial commands).

            Once it is configured, it is a tunnel unless of course you do web pages on it. At work we use them to send data at 921K. It is very easy!

            Best regards,

            Fred

          • Curt, WE7U
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 8, 2009
              On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

              > Ok, so we're talking $28 without much in the way of software to do.
              > Not bad. Better than $100.

              Yet another SPI interface version, less than $26 in 10+ quantities:

              http://www.protostack.com/forum/blog.php?u=2&b=7&c=1&sid=4013d7dba7bd3b5bbf99a3b0fd8a288d

              Again, this is not the serial interface version. This and other SPI
              versions would tie to a separate interface on the microcontroller,
              meaning you wouldn't have to give up either serial interface. As
              others have mentioned though, it would require more software on the
              microcontroller to do anything with it, while the serial port
              Ethernet modules would require none or next to none.