RE: [tracker2] Another one

  • Heaton, Brad
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 2 12:46 PM
      I've seen a number of devices like you describe. Picotux, NetSilicon, etc. The cheapest I could find is in the $99 range. If you know of a $30 one, I'd be interested. I've got a few projects that would benefit from something like that.

      -Brad

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 2 1:18 PM
        I believe it is called a gum stick

        Russell L. Tower
        kf4jun
        Alpharetta (Johns Creek) GA

        _____

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 3 11:54 AM
          The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
          connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
          sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
          better :)

          Adam

          2009/4/2 Russell L. Tower <kf4jun@...>:
          > I believe it is called a gum stick
          >
          > Russell L. Tower
          > kf4jun
          > Alpharetta (Johns Creek) GA
          >
          > _____

        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 7 2:47 PM
            I'll ditto that desire. I'm currently talking to my TT4 via a Bluetooth
            to serial converter to my javAPRSsrvr 2 rooms away (lightning
            isolation). If I could do it via Ethernet, the isolation wouldn't be as
            good, but at $30 it'd sure be cheaper!

            I'd love a link to the product(s) that you all know of!

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

            Heaton, Brad wrote:

            > I've seen a number of devices like you describe. Picotux, NetSilicon,
            > etc. The cheapest I could find is in the $99 range. If you know of a
            > $30 one, I'd be interested. I've got a few projects that would benefit
            > from something like that.
            >
            > -Brad

          • Curt, WE7U
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 7 3:26 PM
              On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Adam Fast wrote:

              > The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
              > connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
              > sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
              > better :)

              How's this?

              http://www.gridconnect.com/xportdirect.html

              I have a one of these on a board here which is a bit more, but
              haven't really played with it:

              http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115

              Also, a fellow engineer mentioned that Microchip has a processor
              with ethernet on it that's very cheap, and you put a transformer
              module with it for something like a $10 to $12 solution.

              Good enough?

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 7 3:29 PM
                On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                > On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Adam Fast wrote:
                >
                >> The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
                >> connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
                >> sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
                >> better :)
                >
                > How's this?
                >
                > http://www.gridconnect.com/xportdirect.html
                >

                > I have a one of these on a board here which is a bit more, but
                > haven't really played with it:
                >
                > http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115
                >

                > Also, a fellow engineer mentioned that Microchip has a processor
                > with ethernet on it that's very cheap, and you put a transformer
                > module with it for something like a $10 to $12 solution.

                He just sent me this:

                http://www.nkcelectronics.com/enc28j60-ethernet-interface-b2860.html

                The ENC28J60 is the chip I was talking about. I am still looking
                for the cheap development board I ran across.

                I talked myself out of it simply because I knew I was too busy to do
                anything with it, but even the board above is only $25/ea.

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 7 3:43 PM
                  On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                  > On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:
                  >
                  >> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Adam Fast wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
                  >>> connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
                  >>> sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
                  >>> better :)
                  >>
                  >> How's this?
                  >>
                  >> http://www.gridconnect.com/xportdirect.html
                  >>

                  >> I have a one of these on a board here which is a bit more, but
                  >> haven't really played with it:
                  >>
                  >> http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115
                  >>

                  >> Also, a fellow engineer mentioned that Microchip has a processor
                  >> with ethernet on it that's very cheap, and you put a transformer
                  >> module with it for something like a $10 to $12 solution.
                  >

                  > He just sent me this:

                  > http://www.nkcelectronics.com/enc28j60-ethernet-interface-b2860.html
                  >
                  > The ENC28J60 is the chip I was talking about. I am still looking
                  > for the cheap development board I ran across.
                  >
                  > I talked myself out of it simply because I knew I was too busy to do
                  > anything with it, but even the board above is only $25/ea.

                  And another cheaper one, same processor as above:

                  http://www.ekitszone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

                  Note that those last two use the SPI bus for interfacing, not a
                  serial bus, so there would be some programming involved on Scott's
                  end to integrate something like that. It could certainly be done
                  though, and would be a cheap solution, particularly if he just
                  integrated the chips onto his board.

                  --
                  Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                  http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                • Jason KG4WSV
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 7 4:04 PM
                    The ENC28J60 is not a processor; it's layer 2 (and 1, once you add a
                    mag jack). There's lots of work to do if you want to speak an IP
                    transport layer with this beastie.

                    There's a Wiznet module that adds a lot more than the ENC28J60 (you
                    get layers 1 - 4). You can get the IC, a module (with mag jack, etc),
                    or get it on an Arduino Ethernet shield.

                    I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
                    serial commands).

                    Any of these will still require a processor to do anything
                    interesting, but the XPort's serial port is probably the easiest to
                    integrate.

                    -Jason
                    kg4wsv
                  • Curt, WE7U
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 7 4:11 PM
                      On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

                      > I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
                      > serial commands).
                      >
                      > Any of these will still require a processor to do anything
                      > interesting, but the XPort's serial port is probably the easiest to
                      > integrate.

                      Ok, so we're talking $28 without much in the way of software to do.
                      Not bad. Better than $100.

                      --
                      Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                      http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                    • Fred Hillhouse Jr
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 7 4:39 PM

                        I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
                        serial commands).

                        Once it is configured, it is a tunnel unless of course you do web pages on it. At work we use them to send data at 921K. It is very easy!

                        Best regards,

                        Fred

                      • Curt, WE7U
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 8 8:33 AM
                          On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                          > Ok, so we're talking $28 without much in the way of software to do.
                          > Not bad. Better than $100.

                          Yet another SPI interface version, less than $26 in 10+ quantities:

                          http://www.protostack.com/forum/blog.php?u=2&b=7&c=1&sid=4013d7dba7bd3b5bbf99a3b0fd8a288d

                          Again, this is not the serial interface version. This and other SPI
                          versions would tie to a separate interface on the microcontroller,
                          meaning you wouldn't have to give up either serial interface. As
                          others have mentioned though, it would require more software on the
                          microcontroller to do anything with it, while the serial port
                          Ethernet modules would require none or next to none.