RE: [tracker2] Another one

  • Curt, WE7U
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 2, 2009
      On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, John Magda wrote:

      > Great idea! I would like to see these as well in the lower price range. I
      > did see them in NutsNVolts, but I recall around the fifty dollar range.

      There are small modules that look about like extra-long RJ
      connectors that have a Linux computer built-in and as I recall were
      in the $30 range. I have attached to a board on my desk right now
      at work. I don't remember who made that one and I'm not there to
      look today. They might be cheaper now, and undoubtedly cheaper in
      quantity.

      --
      Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
      http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 2, 2009
        I've seen a number of devices like you describe. Picotux, NetSilicon, etc. The cheapest I could find is in the $99 range. If you know of a $30 one, I'd be interested. I've got a few projects that would benefit from something like that.

        -Brad

        > Great idea! I would like to see these as well in the lower price range. I
        > did see them in NutsNVolts, but I recall around the fifty dollar range.

        There are small modules that look about like extra-long RJ
        connectors that have a Linux computer built-in and as I recall were
        in the $30 range. I have attached to a board on my desk right now
        at work. I don't remember who made that one and I'm not there to
        look today. They might be cheaper now, and undoubtedly cheaper in
        quantity.

        --
        Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer

      • Russell L. Tower
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 2, 2009
          I believe it is called a gum stick

          Russell L. Tower
          kf4jun
          Alpharetta (Johns Creek) GA

          _____

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 3, 2009
            The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
            connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
            sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
            better :)

            Adam

            2009/4/2 Russell L. Tower <kf4jun@...>:
            > I believe it is called a gum stick
            >
            > Russell L. Tower
            > kf4jun
            > Alpharetta (Johns Creek) GA
            >
            > _____

          • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
              I'll ditto that desire. I'm currently talking to my TT4 via a Bluetooth
              to serial converter to my javAPRSsrvr 2 rooms away (lightning
              isolation). If I could do it via Ethernet, the isolation wouldn't be as
              good, but at $30 it'd sure be cheaper!

              I'd love a link to the product(s) that you all know of!

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

              Heaton, Brad wrote:

              > I've seen a number of devices like you describe. Picotux, NetSilicon,
              > etc. The cheapest I could find is in the $99 range. If you know of a
              > $30 one, I'd be interested. I've got a few projects that would benefit
              > from something like that.
              >
              > -Brad

            • Curt, WE7U
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Adam Fast wrote:

                > The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
                > connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
                > sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
                > better :)

                How's this?

                http://www.gridconnect.com/xportdirect.html

                I have a one of these on a board here which is a bit more, but
                haven't really played with it:

                http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115

                Also, a fellow engineer mentioned that Microchip has a processor
                with ethernet on it that's very cheap, and you put a transformer
                module with it for something like a $10 to $12 solution.

                Good enough?

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                  On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                  > On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Adam Fast wrote:
                  >
                  >> The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
                  >> connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
                  >> sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
                  >> better :)
                  >
                  > How's this?
                  >
                  > http://www.gridconnect.com/xportdirect.html
                  >

                  > I have a one of these on a board here which is a bit more, but
                  > haven't really played with it:
                  >
                  > http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115
                  >

                  > Also, a fellow engineer mentioned that Microchip has a processor
                  > with ethernet on it that's very cheap, and you put a transformer
                  > module with it for something like a $10 to $12 solution.

                  He just sent me this:

                  http://www.nkcelectronics.com/enc28j60-ethernet-interface-b2860.html

                  The ENC28J60 is the chip I was talking about. I am still looking
                  for the cheap development board I ran across.

                  I talked myself out of it simply because I knew I was too busy to do
                  anything with it, but even the board above is only $25/ea.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                    On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                    > On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:
                    >
                    >> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Adam Fast wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
                    >>> connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
                    >>> sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
                    >>> better :)
                    >>
                    >> How's this?
                    >>
                    >> http://www.gridconnect.com/xportdirect.html
                    >>

                    >> I have a one of these on a board here which is a bit more, but
                    >> haven't really played with it:
                    >>
                    >> http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115
                    >>

                    >> Also, a fellow engineer mentioned that Microchip has a processor
                    >> with ethernet on it that's very cheap, and you put a transformer
                    >> module with it for something like a $10 to $12 solution.
                    >

                    > He just sent me this:

                    > http://www.nkcelectronics.com/enc28j60-ethernet-interface-b2860.html
                    >
                    > The ENC28J60 is the chip I was talking about. I am still looking
                    > for the cheap development board I ran across.
                    >
                    > I talked myself out of it simply because I knew I was too busy to do
                    > anything with it, but even the board above is only $25/ea.

                    And another cheaper one, same processor as above:

                    http://www.ekitszone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

                    Note that those last two use the SPI bus for interfacing, not a
                    serial bus, so there would be some programming involved on Scott's
                    end to integrate something like that. It could certainly be done
                    though, and would be a cheap solution, particularly if he just
                    integrated the chips onto his board.

                    --
                    Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                    http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                  • Jason KG4WSV
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                      The ENC28J60 is not a processor; it's layer 2 (and 1, once you add a
                      mag jack). There's lots of work to do if you want to speak an IP
                      transport layer with this beastie.

                      There's a Wiznet module that adds a lot more than the ENC28J60 (you
                      get layers 1 - 4). You can get the IC, a module (with mag jack, etc),
                      or get it on an Arduino Ethernet shield.

                      I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
                      serial commands).

                      Any of these will still require a processor to do anything
                      interesting, but the XPort's serial port is probably the easiest to
                      integrate.

                      -Jason
                      kg4wsv
                    • Curt, WE7U
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                        On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

                        > I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
                        > serial commands).
                        >
                        > Any of these will still require a processor to do anything
                        > interesting, but the XPort's serial port is probably the easiest to
                        > integrate.

                        Ok, so we're talking $28 without much in the way of software to do.
                        Not bad. Better than $100.

                        --
                        Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                      • Fred Hillhouse Jr
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009

                          I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
                          serial commands).

                          Once it is configured, it is a tunnel unless of course you do web pages on it. At work we use them to send data at 921K. It is very easy!

                          Best regards,

                          Fred

                        • Curt, WE7U
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 8, 2009
                            On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                            > Ok, so we're talking $28 without much in the way of software to do.
                            > Not bad. Better than $100.

                            Yet another SPI interface version, less than $26 in 10+ quantities:

                            http://www.protostack.com/forum/blog.php?u=2&b=7&c=1&sid=4013d7dba7bd3b5bbf99a3b0fd8a288d

                            Again, this is not the serial interface version. This and other SPI
                            versions would tie to a separate interface on the microcontroller,
                            meaning you wouldn't have to give up either serial interface. As
                            others have mentioned though, it would require more software on the
                            microcontroller to do anything with it, while the serial port
                            Ethernet modules would require none or next to none.