RE: [tracker2] Another one

  • Curt, WE7U
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 2, 2009
      On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, John Magda wrote:

      > Great idea! I would like to see these as well in the lower price range. I
      > did see them in NutsNVolts, but I recall around the fifty dollar range.

      There are small modules that look about like extra-long RJ
      connectors that have a Linux computer built-in and as I recall were
      in the $30 range. I have attached to a board on my desk right now
      at work. I don't remember who made that one and I'm not there to
      look today. They might be cheaper now, and undoubtedly cheaper in
      quantity.

      --
      Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
      http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 2, 2009

        Great idea!  I would like to see these as well in the lower price range.  I did see them in NutsNVolts, but I recall around the fifty dollar range.

        With the cheap network pieces, I would love to see the Ethernet to Serial adapters.  (I still have some Lantronix and Emulex devices.)

        John – kb4yfk – Williamsburg VA – and an original hardware/network tech for the day job.

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 2, 2009
          I've seen a number of devices like you describe. Picotux, NetSilicon, etc. The cheapest I could find is in the $99 range. If you know of a $30 one, I'd be interested. I've got a few projects that would benefit from something like that.

          -Brad

          > Great idea! I would like to see these as well in the lower price range. I
          > did see them in NutsNVolts, but I recall around the fifty dollar range.

          There are small modules that look about like extra-long RJ
          connectors that have a Linux computer built-in and as I recall were
          in the $30 range. I have attached to a board on my desk right now
          at work. I don't remember who made that one and I'm not there to
          look today. They might be cheaper now, and undoubtedly cheaper in
          quantity.

          --
          Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
          http://www.eskimo.com/~archer

        • Russell L. Tower
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 2, 2009
            I believe it is called a gum stick

            Russell L. Tower
            kf4jun
            Alpharetta (Johns Creek) GA

            _____

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 3, 2009
              The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
              connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
              sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
              better :)

              Adam

              2009/4/2 Russell L. Tower <kf4jun@...>:
              > I believe it is called a gum stick
              >
              > Russell L. Tower
              > kf4jun
              > Alpharetta (Johns Creek) GA
              >
              > _____

            • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                I'll ditto that desire. I'm currently talking to my TT4 via a Bluetooth
                to serial converter to my javAPRSsrvr 2 rooms away (lightning
                isolation). If I could do it via Ethernet, the isolation wouldn't be as
                good, but at $30 it'd sure be cheaper!

                I'd love a link to the product(s) that you all know of!

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                Heaton, Brad wrote:

                > I've seen a number of devices like you describe. Picotux, NetSilicon,
                > etc. The cheapest I could find is in the $99 range. If you know of a
                > $30 one, I'd be interested. I've got a few projects that would benefit
                > from something like that.
                >
                > -Brad

              • Curt, WE7U
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                  On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Adam Fast wrote:

                  > The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
                  > connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
                  > sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
                  > better :)

                  How's this?

                  http://www.gridconnect.com/xportdirect.html

                  I have a one of these on a board here which is a bit more, but
                  haven't really played with it:

                  http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115

                  Also, a fellow engineer mentioned that Microchip has a processor
                  with ethernet on it that's very cheap, and you put a transformer
                  module with it for something like a $10 to $12 solution.

                  Good enough?

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                    On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                    > On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Adam Fast wrote:
                    >
                    >> The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
                    >> connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
                    >> sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
                    >> better :)
                    >
                    > How's this?
                    >
                    > http://www.gridconnect.com/xportdirect.html
                    >

                    > I have a one of these on a board here which is a bit more, but
                    > haven't really played with it:
                    >
                    > http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115
                    >

                    > Also, a fellow engineer mentioned that Microchip has a processor
                    > with ethernet on it that's very cheap, and you put a transformer
                    > module with it for something like a $10 to $12 solution.

                    He just sent me this:

                    http://www.nkcelectronics.com/enc28j60-ethernet-interface-b2860.html

                    The ENC28J60 is the chip I was talking about. I am still looking
                    for the cheap development board I ran across.

                    I talked myself out of it simply because I knew I was too busy to do
                    anything with it, but even the board above is only $25/ea.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                      On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                      > On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:
                      >
                      >> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Adam Fast wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
                      >>> connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
                      >>> sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
                      >>> better :)
                      >>
                      >> How's this?
                      >>
                      >> http://www.gridconnect.com/xportdirect.html
                      >>

                      >> I have a one of these on a board here which is a bit more, but
                      >> haven't really played with it:
                      >>
                      >> http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115
                      >>

                      >> Also, a fellow engineer mentioned that Microchip has a processor
                      >> with ethernet on it that's very cheap, and you put a transformer
                      >> module with it for something like a $10 to $12 solution.
                      >

                      > He just sent me this:

                      > http://www.nkcelectronics.com/enc28j60-ethernet-interface-b2860.html
                      >
                      > The ENC28J60 is the chip I was talking about. I am still looking
                      > for the cheap development board I ran across.
                      >
                      > I talked myself out of it simply because I knew I was too busy to do
                      > anything with it, but even the board above is only $25/ea.

                      And another cheaper one, same processor as above:

                      http://www.ekitszone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

                      Note that those last two use the SPI bus for interfacing, not a
                      serial bus, so there would be some programming involved on Scott's
                      end to integrate something like that. It could certainly be done
                      though, and would be a cheap solution, particularly if he just
                      integrated the chips onto his board.

                      --
                      Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                      http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                    • Jason KG4WSV
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                        The ENC28J60 is not a processor; it's layer 2 (and 1, once you add a
                        mag jack). There's lots of work to do if you want to speak an IP
                        transport layer with this beastie.

                        There's a Wiznet module that adds a lot more than the ENC28J60 (you
                        get layers 1 - 4). You can get the IC, a module (with mag jack, etc),
                        or get it on an Arduino Ethernet shield.

                        I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
                        serial commands).

                        Any of these will still require a processor to do anything
                        interesting, but the XPort's serial port is probably the easiest to
                        integrate.

                        -Jason
                        kg4wsv
                      • Curt, WE7U
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                          On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

                          > I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
                          > serial commands).
                          >
                          > Any of these will still require a processor to do anything
                          > interesting, but the XPort's serial port is probably the easiest to
                          > integrate.

                          Ok, so we're talking $28 without much in the way of software to do.
                          Not bad. Better than $100.

                          --
                          Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                          http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                        • Fred Hillhouse Jr
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009

                            I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
                            serial commands).

                            Once it is configured, it is a tunnel unless of course you do web pages on it. At work we use them to send data at 921K. It is very easy!

                            Best regards,

                            Fred

                          • Curt, WE7U
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 8, 2009
                              On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                              > Ok, so we're talking $28 without much in the way of software to do.
                              > Not bad. Better than $100.

                              Yet another SPI interface version, less than $26 in 10+ quantities:

                              http://www.protostack.com/forum/blog.php?u=2&b=7&c=1&sid=4013d7dba7bd3b5bbf99a3b0fd8a288d

                              Again, this is not the serial interface version. This and other SPI
                              versions would tie to a separate interface on the microcontroller,
                              meaning you wouldn't have to give up either serial interface. As
                              others have mentioned though, it would require more software on the
                              microcontroller to do anything with it, while the serial port
                              Ethernet modules would require none or next to none.