Ok got the 350 connected to the OT2m

  • brianbarker460
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2009
      Here is the deal I can send message to myself and I receive it moments later. It shows me being tracked on my GPS, I can see some other stations but, not all. It does not appear anyone else sees me.

      Here is a link to a google aprs map page. All kinds of errors I assume this is a setting in the OT. Maybe someone will know what is not right.

      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KD0FBK-1&limit=50
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2009
        Brian KD0FBK wrote...

        2009-03-31 12:11:08 UTC:
        KD0FBK-1>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,K0SUN-10
        :!3834.19Nk09452.66W>101/000/A=000925 12.3V 13C
        [Invalid uncompressed location]

        It is a setting in the T2. Fix your symbol and all will be well!

        Do you really need the 3 hop path? The beacon rate was pretty high
        earlier, but perhaps you were testing.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 31, 2009
          On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:42 AM, brianbarker460
          <brianbarker460@...> wrote:

          > Here is the deal I can send message to myself and I receive it moments later.

          So we know you are being heard and digipeated.

          >  It shows me being tracked on my GPS,

          Doesn't tell us much more than the Nuvi is working as a GPS.

          > I can see some other stations but, not all.

          What does this mean? You can hear stations on the air, but they don't
          decode, or you can see lots of stations on the APRS-IS, and you're not
          seeing them on the Nuvi? The first might mean that you have a possible
          problem, the latter means you might be looking for IS only stations on
          RF.

          >  It does not appear anyone else sees me.

          That would be because you are not sending any valid position reports.

          > Here is a link to a google aprs map page.  All kinds of errors I assume
          > this is a setting in the OT.  Maybe someone will know what is not right.
          >
          > http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KD0FBK-1&limit=50

          It's not all kinds of errors. It's just one kind of error... It looks
          like the symbol table/overlay character is missing. There should be a
          / or \ character after the W longitude character and before the >
          starting the comment section, or an overlay character.

          Like Keith says, check your symbol.

          Interesting that you can set an invalid symbol. Maybe Scott needs to
          do some sanity checking in that section of OTWINCFG.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2009
            > Interesting that you can set an invalid symbol. Maybe Scott needs to
            > do some sanity checking in that section of OTWINCFG.

            Well, I *would*, but every time you start doing sanity checking in APRS,
            Bob decides to do something insane. =]

            What I'd like to do is add a symbol picker so you don't have to think so
            much about it (or look at the symbol table in the manual), but I'm sure
            if I do that I'll be hearing from people who selected a black truck in
            otwincfg but it's a red truck on aprs.fi or whatever...

            Scott
          • brianbarker460
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 31, 2009
              Thanks everyone you were correct I had a ">" instead of "/" in the table/overlay check box. I am now able to send messages. Still not sure if it is showing on the maps yet.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 31, 2009
                On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:47 PM, brianbarker460
                <brianbarker460@...> wrote:

                > Thanks everyone you were correct I had a ">" instead of "/" in the table/overlay
                > check box.  I am now able to send messages.  Still not sure if it is showing on the maps yet.

                Nope, you're still screwed up... you do know that the symbol is a 2
                character field, right?

                It's easy to tell if you are showing up on the maps... click below.

                http://aprs.fi/?call=KD0FBK-1

              • brianbarker460
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
                  I really I am not what is going on.

                  I show up just fine here

                  http://www.openaprs.net/ zip code 66071 or KD0FBK-1

                  I have noticed that on the other link several stations around this are don't show up

                  > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:47 PM, brianbarker460
                  > <brianbarker460@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thanks everyone you were correct I had a ">" instead of "/" in the table/overlay
                  > > check box.  I am now able to send messages.  Still not sure if it is showing on the maps yet.
                  >
                  > Nope, you're still screwed up... you do know that the symbol is a 2
                  > character field, right?
                  >
                  > It's easy to tell if you are showing up on the maps... click below.
                  >

                  > http://aprs.fi/?call=KD0FBK-1
                  >
                  > James
                  > VE6SRV

                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
                    Brian KD0FBK wrote...

                    2009-04-01 23:19:39 UTC:
                    KD0FBK-1>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,K0SUN-10
                    :!3855.26Nk09445.78W/214/064/A=001074 14.0V 29C
                    [Invalid uncompressed location]

                    You're getting closer, but it looks like you have the table and symbol
                    character backwards - hi! To fix it, do one of the following. Either...

                    1) send a message from the Nuvi to fix it...

                    --SYM /k

                    2) or you can fix it in otwincfg.exe

                    symbol table /
                    symbol code k

                    3) or run otwincfg.exe to put it into AMODE AUTO so you can open up a
                    terminal program and then in the terminal program, enter...

                    SYM /k (or SYMBOL /k)

                    Of course, if you have to run otwincfg.exe before you can gain access
                    from a terminal program, you might as well just fix it in otwincfg.exe!

                    4) or by sending an APRS message to it from elsewhere (if you have your
                    callsign in the AUTHLIST) to it. The message would go to KD0FBK-1 and
                    the content of the message would be "cmd SYM /k" without the quotes...
                    assuming you aren't using password access control.

                    If you were trying to enter the SUV instead of truck symbol, you
                    wouldn't be able to fix it from the Nuvi as you can't enter a backslash.

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  • brianbarker460
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
                      Thank you, I sent the message from the Nuvi and it seems to have fixed it, that is great.

                      I went back into otconfig and I had the k / in the wrong boxes.