Another one

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30, 2009
      https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=123

      Another new product just came in. These are just basic 7" 2-meter
      rubber ducks with BNC connectors. I got them for use with the upcoming
      all-in-one T2-301 tracker package, but they make good HT antenna
      replacements, too, and cheaper than any of the usual ham stores.

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30, 2009
        On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
        > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=123
        >
        > Another new product just came in.  These are just basic 7" 2-meter
        > rubber ducks with BNC connectors.  I got them for use with the upcoming
        > all-in-one T2-301 tracker package, but they make good HT antenna
        > replacements, too, and cheaper than any of the usual ham stores.

        Argent Data, the Walmart of ham radio stores... 8)

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 30, 2009
          > Argent Data, the Walmart of ham radio stores... 8)

          Hey, we're the Harbor Freight of ham radio at the very least. =]

          As long as I've got the website, the warehouse, and all of that, it's
          not that much trouble to add new products, and I since I don't have to
          rely on outrageous markups on accessories to pay the bills it's nice to
          be able to offer a few things cheaper than everyone else.

          Speaking of which, if there's anything in particular in the way of
          accessories that anyone's looking for (especially if you need a hundred
          or more!) let me know before I leave for Hong Kong next week.

          Scott
        • ray@rayvaughan.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 2 9:42 AM
            I'll float an idea to see if anyone else could use them... a dirt cheap Ethernet to serial adapters. A clone of the Lantronics devices. These would let us put TNCs anywhere in our network without having to worry about RS232 or USB distance limitations. By adding a section of fiber in our networks, you could even provide some lightning isolation.

            IP is so common now I really hope to see all ham related devices with Ethernet ports at some point. Way easier to deal with.

            Ray

            >Speaking of which, if there's anything in particular in the way of
            >accessories that anyone's looking for (especially if you need a hundred
            >or more!) let me know before I leave for Hong Kong next week.
            >
            >Scott
          • Curt, WE7U
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 2 10:30 AM
              On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, John Magda wrote:

              > Great idea! I would like to see these as well in the lower price range. I
              > did see them in NutsNVolts, but I recall around the fifty dollar range.

              There are small modules that look about like extra-long RJ
              connectors that have a Linux computer built-in and as I recall were
              in the $30 range. I have attached to a board on my desk right now
              at work. I don't remember who made that one and I'm not there to
              look today. They might be cheaper now, and undoubtedly cheaper in
              quantity.

              --
              Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
              http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 2 10:57 AM

                Great idea!  I would like to see these as well in the lower price range.  I did see them in NutsNVolts, but I recall around the fifty dollar range.

                With the cheap network pieces, I would love to see the Ethernet to Serial adapters.  (I still have some Lantronix and Emulex devices.)

                John – kb4yfk – Williamsburg VA – and an original hardware/network tech for the day job.

                I'll float an idea to see if anyone else could use them... a dirt cheap Ethernet to serial adapters. A clone of the Lantronics devices. These would let us put TNCs anywhere in our network without having to worry about RS232 or USB distance limitations. By adding a section of fiber in our networks, you could even provide some lightning isolation.

                IP is so common now I really hope to see all ham related devices with Ethernet ports at some point. Way easier to deal with.

                Ray

                >Speaking of which, if there's anything in particular in the way of
                >accessories that anyone's looking for (especially if you need a hundred
                >or more!) let me know before I leave for Hong Kong
                next week.

                >Scott

              • Heaton, Brad
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 2 12:46 PM
                  I've seen a number of devices like you describe. Picotux, NetSilicon, etc. The cheapest I could find is in the $99 range. If you know of a $30 one, I'd be interested. I've got a few projects that would benefit from something like that.

                  -Brad

                  > Great idea! I would like to see these as well in the lower price range. I
                  > did see them in NutsNVolts, but I recall around the fifty dollar range.

                  There are small modules that look about like extra-long RJ
                  connectors that have a Linux computer built-in and as I recall were
                  in the $30 range. I have attached to a board on my desk right now
                  at work. I don't remember who made that one and I'm not there to
                  look today. They might be cheaper now, and undoubtedly cheaper in
                  quantity.

                  --
                  Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                  http://www.eskimo.com/~archer

                • Russell L. Tower
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 2 1:18 PM
                    I believe it is called a gum stick

                    Russell L. Tower
                    kf4jun
                    Alpharetta (Johns Creek) GA

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 3 11:54 AM
                      The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
                      connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
                      sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
                      better :)

                      Adam

                      2009/4/2 Russell L. Tower <kf4jun@...>:
                      > I believe it is called a gum stick
                      >
                      > Russell L. Tower
                      > kf4jun
                      > Alpharetta (Johns Creek) GA
                      >
                      > _____

                    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 7 2:47 PM
                        I'll ditto that desire. I'm currently talking to my TT4 via a Bluetooth
                        to serial converter to my javAPRSsrvr 2 rooms away (lightning
                        isolation). If I could do it via Ethernet, the isolation wouldn't be as
                        good, but at $30 it'd sure be cheaper!

                        I'd love a link to the product(s) that you all know of!

                        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                        Heaton, Brad wrote:

                        > I've seen a number of devices like you describe. Picotux, NetSilicon,
                        > etc. The cheapest I could find is in the $99 range. If you know of a
                        > $30 one, I'd be interested. I've got a few projects that would benefit
                        > from something like that.
                        >
                        > -Brad

                      • Curt, WE7U
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 7 3:26 PM
                          On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Adam Fast wrote:

                          > The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
                          > connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
                          > sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
                          > better :)

                          How's this?

                          http://www.gridconnect.com/xportdirect.html

                          I have a one of these on a board here which is a bit more, but
                          haven't really played with it:

                          http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115

                          Also, a fellow engineer mentioned that Microchip has a processor
                          with ethernet on it that's very cheap, and you put a transformer
                          module with it for something like a $10 to $12 solution.

                          Good enough?

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 7 3:29 PM
                            On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                            > On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Adam Fast wrote:
                            >
                            >> The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
                            >> connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
                            >> sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
                            >> better :)
                            >
                            > How's this?
                            >
                            > http://www.gridconnect.com/xportdirect.html
                            >

                            > I have a one of these on a board here which is a bit more, but
                            > haven't really played with it:
                            >
                            > http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115
                            >

                            > Also, a fellow engineer mentioned that Microchip has a processor
                            > with ethernet on it that's very cheap, and you put a transformer
                            > module with it for something like a $10 to $12 solution.

                            He just sent me this:

                            http://www.nkcelectronics.com/enc28j60-ethernet-interface-b2860.html

                            The ENC28J60 is the chip I was talking about. I am still looking
                            for the cheap development board I ran across.

                            I talked myself out of it simply because I knew I was too busy to do
                            anything with it, but even the board above is only $25/ea.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 7 3:43 PM
                              On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                              > On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:
                              >
                              >> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Adam Fast wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> The Gumstix start well over $100 for one with no Ethernet
                              >>> connectivity. I doubt that's it. I'd also love to know the info on one
                              >>> sub-$50, and if Scott can find something like that to carry, even
                              >>> better :)
                              >>
                              >> How's this?
                              >>
                              >> http://www.gridconnect.com/xportdirect.html
                              >>

                              >> I have a one of these on a board here which is a bit more, but
                              >> haven't really played with it:
                              >>
                              >> http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115
                              >>

                              >> Also, a fellow engineer mentioned that Microchip has a processor
                              >> with ethernet on it that's very cheap, and you put a transformer
                              >> module with it for something like a $10 to $12 solution.
                              >

                              > He just sent me this:

                              > http://www.nkcelectronics.com/enc28j60-ethernet-interface-b2860.html
                              >
                              > The ENC28J60 is the chip I was talking about. I am still looking
                              > for the cheap development board I ran across.
                              >
                              > I talked myself out of it simply because I knew I was too busy to do
                              > anything with it, but even the board above is only $25/ea.

                              And another cheaper one, same processor as above:

                              http://www.ekitszone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

                              Note that those last two use the SPI bus for interfacing, not a
                              serial bus, so there would be some programming involved on Scott's
                              end to integrate something like that. It could certainly be done
                              though, and would be a cheap solution, particularly if he just
                              integrated the chips onto his board.

                              --
                              Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                              http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                            • Jason KG4WSV
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 7 4:04 PM
                                The ENC28J60 is not a processor; it's layer 2 (and 1, once you add a
                                mag jack). There's lots of work to do if you want to speak an IP
                                transport layer with this beastie.

                                There's a Wiznet module that adds a lot more than the ENC28J60 (you
                                get layers 1 - 4). You can get the IC, a module (with mag jack, etc),
                                or get it on an Arduino Ethernet shield.

                                I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
                                serial commands).

                                Any of these will still require a processor to do anything
                                interesting, but the XPort's serial port is probably the easiest to
                                integrate.

                                -Jason
                                kg4wsv
                              • Curt, WE7U
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 7 4:11 PM
                                  On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

                                  > I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
                                  > serial commands).
                                  >
                                  > Any of these will still require a processor to do anything
                                  > interesting, but the XPort's serial port is probably the easiest to
                                  > integrate.

                                  Ok, so we're talking $28 without much in the way of software to do.
                                  Not bad. Better than $100.

                                  --
                                  Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                                  http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                                • Fred Hillhouse Jr
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 7 4:39 PM

                                    I suspect the Xport provides the simplest interface (IIRC, you give it
                                    serial commands).

                                    Once it is configured, it is a tunnel unless of course you do web pages on it. At work we use them to send data at 921K. It is very easy!

                                    Best regards,

                                    Fred

                                  • Curt, WE7U
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 8 8:33 AM
                                      On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                                      > Ok, so we're talking $28 without much in the way of software to do.
                                      > Not bad. Better than $100.

                                      Yet another SPI interface version, less than $26 in 10+ quantities:

                                      http://www.protostack.com/forum/blog.php?u=2&b=7&c=1&sid=4013d7dba7bd3b5bbf99a3b0fd8a288d

                                      Again, this is not the serial interface version. This and other SPI
                                      versions would tie to a separate interface on the microcontroller,
                                      meaning you wouldn't have to give up either serial interface. As
                                      others have mentioned though, it would require more software on the
                                      microcontroller to do anything with it, while the serial port
                                      Ethernet modules would require none or next to none.