Otwincfg weirdness, possible bug?

  • Garrett Sloan
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2009
      I've tried it on two machines now, and it's acting the same on both, when in OTWinCfg, if under waypoint output "limit to" is selected, and units are set to metric, if you enter say 10 miles as the distance and change the tabs between profile 1 & profile 2, the value in each begins to decrement towards zero, and when it hits zero "limit to" disables.
      It doesn't do this in English mode, so I'm guessing it has something to do with a rounding issue with metric conversion possibly?

      anyone else observe this?

      Garrett
      VE6RKY
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2009
        On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Garrett Sloan <spam1@...> wrote:

        > I've tried it on two machines now, and it's acting the same on both,

        Yup, I see the same thing here... I set limit to 10 miles with metric
        enabled. I switched to profile 2, and back. Coming back to profile 1,
        the 10 had decremented (sometimes by 1 or 2), and the numeric value
        box was greyed out even though the check box was still checked.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 29, 2009
          Yeah, I may have missed another rounding problem. I'll check it out,
          see if there's an easy fix.

          Scott

          Garrett Sloan wrote:

          > I've tried it on two machines now, and it's acting the same on both,
          > when in OTWinCfg, if under waypoint output "limit to" is selected, and
          > units are set to metric, if you enter say 10 miles as the distance and
          > change the tabs between profile 1 & profile 2, the value in each begins
          > to decrement towards zero, and when it hits zero "limit to" disables.
          > It doesn't do this in English mode, so I'm guessing it has something to
          > do with a rounding issue with metric conversion possibly?
          >
          > anyone else observe this?
          >
          > Garrett
          > VE6RKY

        • dondorgram
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
            This has "bugged" me for last several months, but I was too lazy to bring it up. For us "senior" folks who keep switching between profiles because we think we might have forgotten something in one or the other, it means always reentering limit numbers as a last step. Kind of annoying. Thanks to Garrett and James for raising it. Interestingly I had never tried the English setting.

            Scott, once you fix it, could you mention it to the group.

            Graham VE6GW

            > Yeah, I may have missed another rounding problem. I'll check it out,
            > see if there's an easy fix.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > Garrett Sloan wrote:
            > >

            > > I've tried it on two machines now, and it's acting the same on both,
            > > when in OTWinCfg, if under waypoint output "limit to" is selected, and
            > > units are set to metric, if you enter say 10 miles as the distance and
            > > change the tabs between profile 1 & profile 2, the value in each begins
            > > to decrement towards zero, and when it hits zero "limit to" disables.
            > > It doesn't do this in English mode, so I'm guessing it has something to
            > > do with a rounding issue with metric conversion possibly?
            > >
            > > anyone else observe this?
            > >
            > > Garrett
            > > VE6RKY

          • Garrett Sloan
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
              If your in there "tweaking" and fixing otwincfg.exe, I'm not sure if this is the best place to suggest it, but possibly could you add the ability to enter or view the TXLEVEL value as a real value other than only a slider? Specifically I know that for my setup a TXLEVEL of 247 is 3.5khz deviation, but if I update the firmware and flash the OT2, I have to then go into term and set the TXLEVEL in profile 1&2 then open otwincfg again to have it "stored" in my backup cfg file.

              Another "feature" that would be nice for testing (especially when configuring profile switching) would be if it was possible to add a 3rd condition to the parameter PROFILE. Since editing profile switching parameters via messages or a term program isn't possible, is would be nice if sending the command PROFILE 1 would manually select profile 1, sending PROFILE 2 would manually select profile 2 and possibly sending PROFILE 0 would "enable" automatic profile switching based on the defined parameters.
              I've had a couple of times when it would be nice to manually switch to a specific contradicting my profile switching settings for testing, and this isn't currently possible from what I've been able to see.

              Your going to hate having ever sold me a OT2 one of these days lol.

              Garrett
              VE6RKY

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
                I think I've got the rounding errors in the profile screen fixed - they
                should now stay at the closest value and not drift as they're loaded and
                saved.

                I'm probably not going to be adding a lot of new features to otwincfg
                for a while; there's a rewrite in progress that'll totally redo the
                layout and allow for things like translations into other languages, and
                I don't want it to be a moving target.

                There's already a PROFILE command to set the profile manually, but it
                doesn't disable the profile switching. That will probably need to be a
                separate command since there are cases when you might want to switch to
                the other profile but let it switch back automatically.

                Scott