GPS models

  • Bob Duer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2009
      I have an UTNT that has a GPS unit in it and is the only thing that works, runs NMEA 4800.  Will this hook up to the Argent Tracker2 and if so what cable configuraton would I need?

      Thanks,

      Bob Duer
      1417 Glenmore Forest
      Houston, TX   77055
      email:  bduer @...
      Cell:  832-746-5312
      Amateur:  N5YKX
      ARES, RACES, CERT
    • Randy Love
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2009
        Yes, it should. But you have to hook it up via the GPS mini-phone jack. The OT2m does do USB hosting, so data via the USB port won't work.

        The GPS data out of it should be at 4800 NMEA. I've watched it in a Hyperterminal window, and it looks standard, so the OT2 shouldn't have an issue with it. You will have to make a cable to adapt the GPS phono to a DB9 connector. You will also have to find a way to power the uTNT. You may be able to do this by adding a usb sub-d plug to the same DB9 that you will be sending the NMEA data to, but hooked up to the power pin. I have one with the GPS built in also. Could have bought 2 OT2m with GPS pucks for the same price. My uTNT won't keep a charge and the guys that support it insist that I'm not charging it properly. I gave up and use it in the house or with my laptop as a KISS tnc. Glad to see I'm not the only one with one of these that has a problem.

        Good luck and let us know how it works out. The GPS receiver in mine is super sensitive, but since the internal battery won't keep a charge, it totalled defeated the purpose I had for it -- an on-person tracker.

        73,
        Randy
        WF5X

      • Randy Love
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2009
          Correction.. OT2m DOESN'T do USB hosting...

          WF5X