Re: Garmin doesn't even know about FMI or their own products

  • Garrett Sloan
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4 8:23 PM

      > There has to be a definitive reference out there somewhere. If there
      > *was* DST, it'd be in a law somewhere that you could cite. Who's in
      > charge of time there? Here, I'd probably check with NIST or the US
      > Naval Observatory.
      >
      > Scott

      There are a few references out there specifically the source would be the NRC (national research and standards council):
      http://inms-ienm.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/time_services/daylight_saving_e.html

      Also time observance is regulated by each of the provinces individually. Although Saskatchewan should follow Mountain standard time, the province passed "The Time Act" in the 60's, and observes Central Standard Time and does not observe daylight standard time. So the province has the same time as Alberta in the summer, and Manitoba in the winter. The exception is Lloyminster, which follows MST in the winter and CST in the summer, making it follow the same time as Alberta.
      a link to the time act:
      http://www.municipal.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=172,169,167,81,1,Documents&MediaID=7943&Filename=Sk++Time+System.pdf

      I have a large number of automation systems in Lloydminster, actually even locally in the town (which sits directly on the border between Alberta and Saskatchewan some businesses decide to follow CST or MST however they like... It makes keeping operating schedules interesting at times...

      Garrett
      VE6RKY
    • David
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5 7:21 PM
        Good call, fellas. The NRC time and Frequency people are the equivalent to NIST. NRC keep arguably the most accurate of the atomic clocks in the world, and operate CHU on two HF frequencies.

        <OT> 12 years ago I to worked in the Institute for National Measurement Standards, and had the privilege of an office right next to the A-clock.

        They were even nice enough to let me help them migrate the antique HPUX servers over to a linux cluster for stratum one NTP over the internet. Oh for the good old days of hacking Linux.... </OT>

        If Garmin really has a problem with the Sask. time, I'm sure that the T & F folks would be really interested. NRC-INMS Time and Frequency group has a Legislated national mandate to make sure the trains run on time. (and aprs too)

        73 de va3ae, David

        > >Here, I'd probably check with NIST or the US Naval Observatory.
        > >
        > > Scott
        >
        > There are a few references out there specifically the source would be the NRC (national research and standards council):
        > http://inms-ienm.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/time_services/daylight_saving_e.html
        >
        > Also time observance is regulated by each of the provinces individually. Although Saskatchewan should follow Mountain standard time, the province passed "The Time Act" in the 60's, and observes Central Standard Time and does not observe daylight standard time. So the province has the same time as Alberta in the summer, and Manitoba in the winter. The exception is Lloyminster, which follows MST in the winter and CST in the summer, making it follow the same time as Alberta.
        > a link to the time act:
        > http://www.municipal.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=172,169,167,81,1,Documents&MediaID=7943&Filename=Sk++Time+System.pdf
        >
        > I have a large number of automation systems in Lloydminster, actually even locally in the town (which sits directly on the border between Alberta and Saskatchewan some businesses decide to follow CST or MST however they like... It makes keeping operating schedules interesting at times...
        >
        > Garrett
        > VE6RKY

      • Garrett Sloan
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 6 7:11 PM
          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "David" <va3ae@...> wrote:

          > Good call, fellas. The NRC time and Frequency people are the equivalent to NIST. NRC keep arguably the most accurate of the atomic clocks in the world, and operate CHU on two HF frequencies.
          >
          > <OT> 12 years ago I to worked in the Institute for National Measurement Standards, and had the privilege of an office right next to the A-clock.

          OT, I had to stop myself from replying last night HIHI, but was it luck, or drawing the short straw? do you still glow green at night? ;)

          Completely OT, DST kicks in again tomorrow, my least favorite time of the year since the DST changes (and Lloyd) I get to spend the weekend adjusting time schedules and operating hours.... One day companies will support Firmware updates for outdated hardware in some cases, or clients will be convinced to upgrade hardware after 15 years....

          Garrett
          VE6RKY
        • c0j
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 10 2:17 AM
            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kb9lgs" <raytodd@...> wrote:

            > So far I have managed to get two messages through to Garmin about
            > doing FMI on their other products. The responses sure do tell you a
            > lot about the company. In my requests I listed FMI both as FMI and
            > as (Fleet Management Interface). I told them I was using this on a
            > Nuvi 350.

            I just received a "Please Reset to factory Defaults" email. Saying it must be some sort of software problem.

            My reply, cause I'm cranky today
            "Alex,

            I've been through all that.

            Might I remind you what I originally said "Waypoint creation leaves duplicates".

            Now the Nuvi 350 is the predecessor to the 360 and has the same Fleet Management Interface.
            So if it works in the 350 and does not work on the 360, your are expecting me to believe that it isn't a software issue? I fail to see how it can logically be anything else.

            Regards
            John"

            Cheers
            de John