Re: Garmin doesn't even know about FMI or their own products

  • k7ybz
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
      Bob,

      Not only do they still list the 350 as being under supported products, they have both new and refurbished units for sale:

      http://garmn.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/1649/Garmin-Nuvi-GPS.html

      Larry
      K7YBZ

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
        This is pretty typical of first-level tech support. The ones that
        really know their stuff usually don't stick around long.

        I'm making some progress with Garmin (at least getting some technical
        interchange going, if not management buy-in), but it probably wouldn't
        hurt to keep at them on the support front.

        Scott

        kb9lgs wrote:

        > So far I have managed to get two messages through to Garmin about
        > doing FMI on their other products. The responses sure do tell you a
        > lot about the company. In my requests I listed FMI both as FMI and
        > as (Fleet Management Interface). I told them I was using this on a
        > Nuvi 350.
        >
        > The first response I got informed me there was no model 350, and I
        > must mean the 250. Then informed me a about a whole bunch of things
        > about this and how static uploads could be done. I was also informed
        > that there was no reason for dynamic updates and I needed to change my
        > mode of operations in order to be successful in business.
        >
        > Then I sent them a reply that they did have a model 350 and repeated
        > my request. I was informed that Garmin did not have anything called a
        > fleet management interface and so I must be talking about some other
        > company.
        >
        > Great. If I had any stock in them I think I would be dumping it.

      • Marc Archambault
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
          For years I've been trying to get them to fix their timezone offset for Saskatchewan (ie: there is no daylight savings time in most of Sask.)... they keep telling me I have the wrong time and all the websites that list the time in Sask during the summer months are wrong... oh well.

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
            There has to be a definitive reference out there somewhere. If there
            *was* DST, it'd be in a law somewhere that you could cite. Who's in
            charge of time there? Here, I'd probably check with NIST or the US
            Naval Observatory.

            Scott

            Marc Archambault wrote:

            > For years I've been trying to get them to fix their timezone offset for
            > Saskatchewan (ie: there is no daylight savings time in most of Sask.)...
            > they keep telling me I have the wrong time and all the websites that
            > list the time in Sask during the summer months are wrong... oh well.

            > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > This is pretty typical of first-level tech support. The ones that
            > > really know their stuff usually don't stick around long.
            > >
            > > I'm making some progress with Garmin (at least getting some technical
            > > interchange going, if not management buy-in), but it probably wouldn't
            > > hurt to keep at them on the support front.
            > >
            > > Scott
            > >
            > > kb9lgs wrote:
            > > >

            > > > So far I have managed to get two messages through to Garmin about
            > > > doing FMI on their other products. The responses sure do tell you a
            > > > lot about the company. In my requests I listed FMI both as FMI and
            > > > as (Fleet Management Interface). I told them I was using this on a
            > > > Nuvi 350.
            > > >
            > > > The first response I got informed me there was no model 350, and I
            > > > must mean the 250. Then informed me a about a whole bunch of things
            > > > about this and how static uploads could be done. I was also informed
            > > > that there was no reason for dynamic updates and I needed to change my
            > > > mode of operations in order to be successful in business.
            > > >
            > > > Then I sent them a reply that they did have a model 350 and repeated
            > > > my request. I was informed that Garmin did not have anything called a
            > > > fleet management interface and so I must be talking about some other
            > > > company.
            > > >
            > > > Great. If I had any stock in them I think I would be dumping it.

          • Garrett Sloan
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009

              > There has to be a definitive reference out there somewhere. If there
              > *was* DST, it'd be in a law somewhere that you could cite. Who's in
              > charge of time there? Here, I'd probably check with NIST or the US
              > Naval Observatory.
              >
              > Scott

              There are a few references out there specifically the source would be the NRC (national research and standards council):
              http://inms-ienm.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/time_services/daylight_saving_e.html

              Also time observance is regulated by each of the provinces individually. Although Saskatchewan should follow Mountain standard time, the province passed "The Time Act" in the 60's, and observes Central Standard Time and does not observe daylight standard time. So the province has the same time as Alberta in the summer, and Manitoba in the winter. The exception is Lloyminster, which follows MST in the winter and CST in the summer, making it follow the same time as Alberta.
              a link to the time act:
              http://www.municipal.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=172,169,167,81,1,Documents&MediaID=7943&Filename=Sk++Time+System.pdf

              I have a large number of automation systems in Lloydminster, actually even locally in the town (which sits directly on the border between Alberta and Saskatchewan some businesses decide to follow CST or MST however they like... It makes keeping operating schedules interesting at times...

              Garrett
              VE6RKY
            • David
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2009
                Good call, fellas. The NRC time and Frequency people are the equivalent to NIST. NRC keep arguably the most accurate of the atomic clocks in the world, and operate CHU on two HF frequencies.

                <OT> 12 years ago I to worked in the Institute for National Measurement Standards, and had the privilege of an office right next to the A-clock.

                They were even nice enough to let me help them migrate the antique HPUX servers over to a linux cluster for stratum one NTP over the internet. Oh for the good old days of hacking Linux.... </OT>

                If Garmin really has a problem with the Sask. time, I'm sure that the T & F folks would be really interested. NRC-INMS Time and Frequency group has a Legislated national mandate to make sure the trains run on time. (and aprs too)

                73 de va3ae, David

                > >Here, I'd probably check with NIST or the US Naval Observatory.
                > >
                > > Scott
                >
                > There are a few references out there specifically the source would be the NRC (national research and standards council):
                > http://inms-ienm.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/time_services/daylight_saving_e.html
                >
                > Also time observance is regulated by each of the provinces individually. Although Saskatchewan should follow Mountain standard time, the province passed "The Time Act" in the 60's, and observes Central Standard Time and does not observe daylight standard time. So the province has the same time as Alberta in the summer, and Manitoba in the winter. The exception is Lloyminster, which follows MST in the winter and CST in the summer, making it follow the same time as Alberta.
                > a link to the time act:
                > http://www.municipal.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=172,169,167,81,1,Documents&MediaID=7943&Filename=Sk++Time+System.pdf
                >
                > I have a large number of automation systems in Lloydminster, actually even locally in the town (which sits directly on the border between Alberta and Saskatchewan some businesses decide to follow CST or MST however they like... It makes keeping operating schedules interesting at times...
                >
                > Garrett
                > VE6RKY

              • Garrett Sloan
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "David" <va3ae@...> wrote:

                  > Good call, fellas. The NRC time and Frequency people are the equivalent to NIST. NRC keep arguably the most accurate of the atomic clocks in the world, and operate CHU on two HF frequencies.
                  >
                  > <OT> 12 years ago I to worked in the Institute for National Measurement Standards, and had the privilege of an office right next to the A-clock.

                  OT, I had to stop myself from replying last night HIHI, but was it luck, or drawing the short straw? do you still glow green at night? ;)

                  Completely OT, DST kicks in again tomorrow, my least favorite time of the year since the DST changes (and Lloyd) I get to spend the weekend adjusting time schedules and operating hours.... One day companies will support Firmware updates for outdated hardware in some cases, or clients will be convinced to upgrade hardware after 15 years....

                  Garrett
                  VE6RKY
                • c0j
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 10, 2009
                    --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kb9lgs" <raytodd@...> wrote:

                    > So far I have managed to get two messages through to Garmin about
                    > doing FMI on their other products. The responses sure do tell you a
                    > lot about the company. In my requests I listed FMI both as FMI and
                    > as (Fleet Management Interface). I told them I was using this on a
                    > Nuvi 350.

                    I just received a "Please Reset to factory Defaults" email. Saying it must be some sort of software problem.

                    My reply, cause I'm cranky today
                    "Alex,

                    I've been through all that.

                    Might I remind you what I originally said "Waypoint creation leaves duplicates".

                    Now the Nuvi 350 is the predecessor to the 360 and has the same Fleet Management Interface.
                    So if it works in the 350 and does not work on the 360, your are expecting me to believe that it isn't a software issue? I fail to see how it can logically be anything else.

                    Regards
                    John"

                    Cheers
                    de John