Garmin Nuvi vs. Xastir

  • Dan Zubey
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2009
      I'm currently trying to decide between getting a Nuvi in my car, or a
      small screen and running Xastir on a laptop in my car.

      Scott, were you ever able to get the T2 to give it's current location
      out the serial port so that Xastir can use it?

      Thanks,

      -Dan N7NMD
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2009
        Dan,

        I believe I had this setup running at one time. Been a while since
        I've played with the tracker, but I'm a big time fan of Xastir and
        again, believe that I had this setup running before I got my hands on
        a Nuvi.

        I will say the larger screen Nuvi's (I have a 760) are quite nice.
        Having said that I did have some issue with plotting other APRS
        devices (messaging works great).

        Having said that, I do have an Thinkpad-240, which once you get Linux
        installed on, also make for a nice mobile.

        In any event, I'll check my notes and post whatever I find on the
        original setup I was running.

        73,
        Bob - KA9FLX