Re: [tracker2] Re: Outputting waypoints to Delorme Topo program

  • Tom Tengdin
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
      Tnx all,

      Maybe it's something to ask be added to Xastir?

      T3

      On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 15:30 -0800, Scott Miller wrote:
      > Most mapping programs won't handle unsolicited waypoints - they
      > expect
      > to get a list of waypoints in response to a query. I did experiment
      > with having the T2 record everything it heard recently, and then
      > answer
      > a Garmin waypoint output request with that list of waypoints. That
      > way
      > you could manually grab all of the recent APRS positions using
      > anything
      > that'll download waypoints from a Garmin GPS receiver.
      >
      > All of that code is disabled right now, though, and it requires a
      > FRAM
      > chip to be installed.
      >
      > Scott
      >
      > Rudy Benner wrote:
      > >

      > > I asked the same question some time ago and did not get a
      > satisfactory
      > > answer. Using a terminal program, if you are outputting waypoints,
      > you
      > > should be seeing NMEA sentences. I think you will agree that we need
      > > know what program will inport these waypoint sentences and display
      > them
      > > on a graphics screen.

      > Tom
      > > Tengdin <t3@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone know how to get the serial output from the D connector
      > > > display waypoints on a laptop. I am running Delorme Topo and can't
      > > > seem to get the waypoints to show up.
      > > >
      > > > Tnx,
      > > >
      > > > WB9VXY

    • Tom Hayward
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
        > Maybe it's something to ask be added to Xastir?

        Xastir already supports APRS waypoints and raster maps (which includes topos).

        I need to get my hands on a set of USGS Topo DRGs then I should be
        able to use Xastir in place of DeLorme Topo. I currently use DeLorme
        Topo for topo maps and Xastir for plotting stations on Tiger
        shapefiles (mostly roads/water).

        Tom KD7LXL
      • Curt, WE7U
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
          On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Tom Hayward wrote:

          > Xastir already supports APRS waypoints and raster maps (which includes topos).
          >
          > I need to get my hands on a set of USGS Topo DRGs then I should be
          > able to use Xastir in place of DeLorme Topo. I currently use DeLorme
          > Topo for topo maps and Xastir for plotting stations on Tiger
          > shapefiles (mostly roads/water).

          You know I have a complete set for WA right? Those will eventually
          be available for download off the 'net: A new server is going up
          which will have the capacity to host them. I'll hand the CD's/DVD's
          directly to the guy setting up the server so that we don't have to
          FTP them up later.

          --
          Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
          http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
            > You know I have a complete set for WA right? Those will eventually
            > be available for download off the 'net: A new server is going up
            > which will have the capacity to host them. I'll hand the CD's/DVD's
            > directly to the guy setting up the server so that we don't have to
            > FTP them up later.

            Yep, I just don't have easy physical access to you :)

            At one point we were discussing publishing them via BitTorrent. I'd be
            happy to host them this way on my Tier2 server, but I don't have
            physical access to the server so the data would need to be uploaded.

            I'd like to build a map repository BitTorrent tracker--a central
            repository for public domain maps powered by BitTorrent. Finding
            quality maps has always been the biggest hurdle for me in APRS and I'd
            like to solve this.

            Tom KD7LXL
          • Curt, WE7U
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
              On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Tom Hayward wrote:

              >> You know I have a complete set for WA right?

              > Yep, I just don't have easy physical access to you :)

              Where are you going to be next saturday? To prep you for it, you
              know that as a ham in the NW there's really only one answer, right?

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
                > Where are you going to be next saturday? To prep you for it, you
                > know that as a ham in the NW there's really only one answer, right?

                Schweitzer Mountain Ski Resort in north Idaho--sorry to disappoint
                you. Spring break starts the 14th, and don't want to make the 6-hour
                journey across the state two consecutive weekends.

                Let's see if I can manage to bring this back on topic...

                I don't see a hamfest object on the map yet. Maybe someone in the area
                (or not in the area) can make that happen with the Tracker2 script
                function.

                Tom KD7LXL