Outputting waypoints to Delorme Topo program

  • Tom Tengdin
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1 2:09 PM
      Does anyone know how to get the serial output from the D connector to
      display waypoints on a laptop. I am running Delorme Topo and can't
      seem to get the waypoints to show up.

      Tnx,

      WB9VXY
    • Rudy Benner
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1 2:36 PM
        I asked the same question some time ago and did not get a satisfactory
        answer. Using a terminal program, if you are outputting waypoints, you
        should be seeing NMEA sentences. I think you will agree that we need to
        know what program will inport these waypoint sentences and display them
        on a graphics screen.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1 3:30 PM
          Most mapping programs won't handle unsolicited waypoints - they expect
          to get a list of waypoints in response to a query. I did experiment
          with having the T2 record everything it heard recently, and then answer
          a Garmin waypoint output request with that list of waypoints. That way
          you could manually grab all of the recent APRS positions using anything
          that'll download waypoints from a Garmin GPS receiver.

          All of that code is disabled right now, though, and it requires a FRAM
          chip to be installed.

          Scott

          Rudy Benner wrote:

          > I asked the same question some time ago and did not get a satisfactory
          > answer. Using a terminal program, if you are outputting waypoints, you
          > should be seeing NMEA sentences. I think you will agree that we need to
          > know what program will inport these waypoint sentences and display them
          > on a graphics screen.
          >
          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>, Tom
          > Tengdin <t3@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone know how to get the serial output from the D connector to
          > > display waypoints on a laptop. I am running Delorme Topo and can't
          > > seem to get the waypoints to show up.
          > >
          > > Tnx,
          > >
          > > WB9VXY

        • Tom Tengdin
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1 4:20 PM
            Tnx all,

            Maybe it's something to ask be added to Xastir?

            T3

            On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 15:30 -0800, Scott Miller wrote:
            > Most mapping programs won't handle unsolicited waypoints - they
            > expect
            > to get a list of waypoints in response to a query. I did experiment
            > with having the T2 record everything it heard recently, and then
            > answer
            > a Garmin waypoint output request with that list of waypoints. That
            > way
            > you could manually grab all of the recent APRS positions using
            > anything
            > that'll download waypoints from a Garmin GPS receiver.
            >
            > All of that code is disabled right now, though, and it requires a
            > FRAM
            > chip to be installed.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > Rudy Benner wrote:
            > >

            > > I asked the same question some time ago and did not get a
            > satisfactory
            > > answer. Using a terminal program, if you are outputting waypoints,
            > you
            > > should be seeing NMEA sentences. I think you will agree that we need
            > > know what program will inport these waypoint sentences and display
            > them
            > > on a graphics screen.

            > Tom
            > > Tengdin <t3@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Does anyone know how to get the serial output from the D connector
            > > > display waypoints on a laptop. I am running Delorme Topo and can't
            > > > seem to get the waypoints to show up.
            > > >
            > > > Tnx,
            > > >
            > > > WB9VXY

          • Tom Hayward
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1 5:10 PM
              > Maybe it's something to ask be added to Xastir?

              Xastir already supports APRS waypoints and raster maps (which includes topos).

              I need to get my hands on a set of USGS Topo DRGs then I should be
              able to use Xastir in place of DeLorme Topo. I currently use DeLorme
              Topo for topo maps and Xastir for plotting stations on Tiger
              shapefiles (mostly roads/water).

              Tom KD7LXL
            • Curt, WE7U
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2 8:23 AM
                On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Tom Hayward wrote:

                > Xastir already supports APRS waypoints and raster maps (which includes topos).
                >
                > I need to get my hands on a set of USGS Topo DRGs then I should be
                > able to use Xastir in place of DeLorme Topo. I currently use DeLorme
                > Topo for topo maps and Xastir for plotting stations on Tiger
                > shapefiles (mostly roads/water).

                You know I have a complete set for WA right? Those will eventually
                be available for download off the 'net: A new server is going up
                which will have the capacity to host them. I'll hand the CD's/DVD's
                directly to the guy setting up the server so that we don't have to
                FTP them up later.

                --
                Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2 10:35 AM
                  > You know I have a complete set for WA right? Those will eventually
                  > be available for download off the 'net: A new server is going up
                  > which will have the capacity to host them. I'll hand the CD's/DVD's
                  > directly to the guy setting up the server so that we don't have to
                  > FTP them up later.

                  Yep, I just don't have easy physical access to you :)

                  At one point we were discussing publishing them via BitTorrent. I'd be
                  happy to host them this way on my Tier2 server, but I don't have
                  physical access to the server so the data would need to be uploaded.

                  I'd like to build a map repository BitTorrent tracker--a central
                  repository for public domain maps powered by BitTorrent. Finding
                  quality maps has always been the biggest hurdle for me in APRS and I'd
                  like to solve this.

                  Tom KD7LXL
                • Curt, WE7U
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2 11:21 AM
                    On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Tom Hayward wrote:

                    >> You know I have a complete set for WA right?

                    > Yep, I just don't have easy physical access to you :)

                    Where are you going to be next saturday? To prep you for it, you
                    know that as a ham in the NW there's really only one answer, right?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 2 11:45 AM
                      > Where are you going to be next saturday? To prep you for it, you
                      > know that as a ham in the NW there's really only one answer, right?

                      Schweitzer Mountain Ski Resort in north Idaho--sorry to disappoint
                      you. Spring break starts the 14th, and don't want to make the 6-hour
                      journey across the state two consecutive weekends.

                      Let's see if I can manage to bring this back on topic...

                      I don't see a hamfest object on the map yet. Maybe someone in the area
                      (or not in the area) can make that happen with the Tracker2 script
                      function.

                      Tom KD7LXL