GPS power connection reversed?

  • k4nnw
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2009
      Here's a mystery that I haven't been able to figure out. After driving
      around all last week with the T2 fully functional, powering my GPS via
      12V on the serial connector, I brought it home to tweak the
      SmartBeaconing settings. After doing so, I reconnected the GPS and a
      radio to make sure everything would still work... However, I noticed
      that the GPS wasn't being powered through the serial connection. I
      checked the voltage on pin 4... nothing. However, after some probing
      around, I found that pin 5 was providing 12V and pin 3 was acting as
      ground. Does anyone have any idea of what would cause this oddity to
      happen?
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2009
        > ground. Does anyone have any idea of what would cause this oddity to
        > happen?

        Reversed leads on your voltmeter?

        If the T2 hasn't blown up yet, then I can't imagine how you'd be seeing
        12v on pin 5.

        Scott
      • k4nnw
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2009
          > Reversed leads on your voltmeter?

          Negative (no pun intended). I tested that, then re-tested it.

          > If the T2 hasn't blown up yet, then I can't imagine how you'd be seeing
          > 12v on pin 5.

          I'm not sure either. I'll probably take a closer look at it next
          weekend when I'm back home and see if I can figure it out, but in the
          meantime, I'll just put it to work at the house where I don't need a GPS.
          73 and many thanks,
          Kenny
          K4NNW
        • G8UVE
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
            I reverse polarized mine

            Some clever person put in some protection

            So there was NO magic smoke escaping

            Thanks

            David G8UVE

            Ps

            I used a power connector that live was on the outer and hadn't bothered to check

            : Negative (no pun intended). I tested that, then re-tested it.
            :
            : > If the T2 hasn't blown up yet, then I can't imagine how you'd be seeing
            : > 12v on pin 5.
            :
            : I'm not sure either. I'll probably take a closer look at it next
            : weekend when I'm back home and see if I can figure it out, but in the
            : meantime, I'll just put it to work at the house where I don't need a GPS.
            : 73 and many thanks,
            : Kenny
            : K4NNW
            :
            :
            :
            :
            : ------------------------------------
            :
            : Yahoo! Groups Links
            :
            :
            :
          • Wes Johnston, AI4PX

              --
              Wes
              ---
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009

                > > ground. Does anyone have any idea of what would cause this oddity to
                > > happen?
                >
                > Reversed leads on your voltmeter?
                >
                > If the T2 hasn't blown up yet, then I can't imagine how you'd be seeing
                > 12v on pin 5.
                >
                > Scott

                After taking a closer look at things, I discovered why I wasn't seeing
                power on pin 4. The power lead on the board was no longer green, but
                copper-colored, and broken. After taking the board out of the case, I
                discovered that a trace from the power connector to the jumper area
                suffered the same fate. However, I'm still at a complete loss to
                figure out how pin 5 has 12V on it and pin 3 is its ground...
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
                  > After taking a closer look at things, I discovered why I wasn't seeing
                  > power on pin 4. The power lead on the board was no longer green, but
                  > copper-colored, and broken. After taking the board out of the case, I
                  > discovered that a trace from the power connector to the jumper area
                  > suffered the same fate. However, I'm still at a complete loss to
                  > figure out how pin 5 has 12V on it and pin 3 is its ground...

                  I hesitate to even speculate without seeing exactly what's blown up.
                  I'll be happy to patch it up as best I can if you want to send it back.