RE: [tracker2] Standby mode

  • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2006
      On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 scott@... wrote:

      > That could be done in the hypothetical scripting language. I think it'd be
      > fine with the authentication techniques I'm working on.

      This 'code word' would not require authentication, it would be
      a less-privileged thing. Instead of keys to the machine room,
      you'd have a cord to pull, to reset the airconditioning.

      > Idempotence is actually a major concern in the command interface and
      > scripting language design. It's very easy to get the same command multiple

      You know the cure ;) Message identifiers.

      > My initial idea for a scripting language resembled a PLC's ladder logic,

      I guess a Forth-like language is out of the question. Easy to implement,
      but, kind of crazy to usher people to code in RPN something, what
      they could write by themselves and recompile, in the first place.

      Juha
    • scott@opentrac.org
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2006
        > This 'code word' would not require authentication, it would be
        > a less-privileged thing. Instead of keys to the machine room,
        > you'd have a cord to pull, to reset the airconditioning.

        Responding to commands and initiating pre-programmed actions is a big part
        of what I want the scripting language to be able to do.

        > I guess a Forth-like language is out of the question. Easy to
        > implement,
        > but, kind of crazy to usher people to code in RPN something, what
        > they could write by themselves and recompile, in the first place.

        Yeah, not a lot of room.. but you're not the first to suggest Forth. I've
        got a book on designing 'little languages' and their interpreters... I'm
        hoping to get some insipration from that. It needs to be line-editable
        though, so you can make code changes remotely.

        Scott
      • Curt, WE7U
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
          On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 scott@... wrote:

          > > I guess a Forth-like language is out of the question. Easy to
          > > implement,
          > > but, kind of crazy to usher people to code in RPN something, what
          > > they could write by themselves and recompile, in the first place.
          >
          > Yeah, not a lot of room.. but you're not the first to suggest Forth. I've
          > got a book on designing 'little languages' and their interpreters... I'm
          > hoping to get some insipration from that. It needs to be line-editable
          > though, so you can make code changes remotely.

          I once wrote a Forth interpreter for a 6803 processor in under 2k.