Re: Deluo GPS with T2-135

  • Rudy Benner
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
      Must be a model change, no pop here with the volume down.

      > No, with the volume down it still pops - at least mine do. You can
      plug
      > a dummy resistor into the external speaker jack, though.
      >
      > Scott
      >
      > Rudy Benner wrote:
      > >

      > > Turning down the volume does the same thing.
      > >
      > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%
      40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "la6vja" <la6vja@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Had to make a small interface unit, using a junkbox DC
      regulator
      > > > supplying 5V DC to the GPS and then wiring signal+gnd from the
      GPS
      > > > the phono jack on the front panel. Works fine, though it
      required
      > > some
      > > > extra wiring and soldering. No way the GPS would run off the
      power
      > > > from the radio/T2-135, even with correct polarity (probably
      reversed
      > > > on the DR-135E, even though the manual explicity states GND on
      > > sleeve
      > > > - not the case).
      > > >
      > > > BTW, also installed a small switch on the speaker leads to
      avoid the
      > > > buzzing sounds from the speaker when the TNC is active. Seems
      to be
      > > > problem with all DR-135 radios, lack of shielding or something.
      > > > Anyway, the yellow/grey connector at the aft edge of the radio
      PCB,
      > > > near the SO-239 socket, is for the speaker. There's plenty of
      room
      > > for
      > > > a small switch below the display, on the lower side of the
      radio.

      > > > Everything working fine. Another exercise in problem-
      solving. ;)

      > > > 73

    • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
        concur, I did the same to silence the radio.

        Paulus - N5SNN/YD0NXX

        Rudy Benner wrote:

        > Turning down the volume does the same thing.

        > "la6vja" <la6vja@...> wrote:
        >  >
        >  > Had to make a small interface unit, using a junkbox DC regulator
        >  > supplying 5V DC to the GPS and then wiring signal+gnd from the GPS
        >  > the phono jack on the front panel. Works fine, though it required
        > some
        >  > extra wiring and soldering. No way the GPS would run off the power
        >  > from the radio/T2-135, even with correct polarity (probably reversed
        >  > on the DR-135E, even though the manual explicity states GND on
        > sleeve
        >  > - not the case).
        >  >
        >  > BTW, also installed a small switch on the speaker leads to avoid the
        >  > buzzing sounds from the speaker when the TNC is active. Seems to be
        >  > problem with all DR-135 radios, lack of shielding or something.
        >  > Anyway, the yellow/grey connector at the aft edge of the radio PCB,
        >  > near the SO-239 socket, is for the speaker. There's plenty of
        room
        > for
        >  > a small switch below the display, on the lower side of the radio.
        >  >
        >  > Everything working fine. Another exercise in problem-solving. ;)
        >  >
        >  > 73
        >  >

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Mark Cheavens
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
          My MKIII does NOT pop, a friends VERY early model DOES.

          Mark
          KC5EVE

          At 06:43 PM 2/3/2009, you wrote:

          Must be a model change, no pop here with the volume down.

          > No, with the volume down it still pops - at least mine do. You can
          plug
          > a dummy resistor into the external speaker jack, though.
          >
          > Scott
          >
          > Rudy Benner wrote:
          > >

          > > Turning down the volume does the same thing.
          > >
          > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%
          40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > "la6vja" <la6vja@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Had to make a small interface unit, using a junkbox DC
          regulator
          > > > supplying 5V DC to the GPS and then wiring signal+gnd from the
          GPS
          > > > the phono jack on the front panel. Works fine, though it
          required
          > > some
          > > > extra wiring and soldering. No way the GPS would run off the
          power
          > > > from the radio/T2-135, even with correct polarity (probably
          reversed
          > > > on the DR-135E, even though the manual explicity states GND on
          > > sleeve
          > > > - not the case).
          > > >
          > > > BTW, also installed a small switch on the speaker leads to
          avoid the
          > > > buzzing sounds from the speaker when the TNC is active. Seems
          to be
          > > > problem with all DR-135 radios, lack of shielding or something.
          > > > Anyway, the yellow/grey connector at the aft edge of the radio
          PCB,
          > > > near the SO-239 socket, is for the speaker. There's plenty of
          room
          > > for
          > > > a small switch below the display, on the lower side of the
          radio.

          > > > Everything working fine. Another exercise in problem-
          solving. ;)

          > > > 73

        • la6vja
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 4, 2009
            The design has probably improved. Mine is the DR-135E, with S/N
            T0008xx - new in 2003. Made the same buzz with the EJ-41U installed.
            And ... NO, the obvious "volume to minimum" didn't help at all.

            73

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 4, 2009
              Are you referring to the buzz that is associated with the GPS data
              stream, or are you referring to the squelch pops.

              My serial number is M004567 Mk III, newly purchased in November.

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                It's the GPS data stream causing buzz in the speaker. No squelch
                popping problems.

                Are there any considerable upgrades done to the Mk III - as compared
                to the "plain" one (Mk I?) ?

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                  As I have only one, I have no basis for comparison. I doubt I will get
                  another one.