Deluo GPS with T2-135

  • la6vja
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
      Now, here's what seems to be a tricky one. Any inputs appreciated:

      In early January 2009 I received 2 x "Deluo Universal GPS PRO SiRF
      Star III GPS units" (PS/2 female connectors) from Argent Data. Along
      with these two units came one "Deluo GPS adapter for Alinco DR-135",
      which - I believe - is supposed to allow for an easy and instant
      connection between the 3.5mm phono connector on the front panel of the
      DR-135 [properly wired to the T2-135 in the radio]. Not so - it seems.
      Not even a flicker in the status LED in any of the GPS units. Even
      less any position fix, even after 45 minutes in a location which
      normally has nice GPS coverage.

      There's no sign of life when I connect either of the two identical GPS
      units to the T2-135 via the interface cable. The T2-135 itself is up
      running without any problems, easily communicating with the connected PC.

      The T2-135 supplies bona fide 5V DC to the PS/2 male plug of the
      Alinco to GPS interface cable.

      As I had ordered two GPS units, I thought I'd open one to locate the
      LED (which I did), so at least I'd know where too look for a sign of
      life. Locating the LED was easy, but it remains dark all the time.
      Next step, cut of the PS/2 female plug and replace it with a 3.5mm
      phono plug, wiring it according to the designations for
      tip/ring/sleeve as set out in the T2-135 manual, assuming Green=GPS
      data out, Red=Power in and Black=Ground, all according to the product
      description on
      https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=61

      Still - nothing!

      BTW, the GPS unit is labeled "GPS-1150 VRN 0.30, C.T.Pan, 2006.05.19,
      YTEC" on the PCB. The casing looks idential to the "Deluo Universal
      GPS PRO SiRF Star III" as shown on
      https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=61
      , except that it only contains the text "GPS" in the lower-left
      corner, no white-color text on the casing.

      After some inputs from Scott - I found:

      There seems to be something interesting in the wiring inside the Alinco.

      Measured on the 3.5mm jack / front panel:

      +5V DC on sleeve
      GND on ring
      (and 6.83V DC [constantly] between GND and tip)

      Reversing the wiring for +/- still doesn't light up the LED in the GPS
      received, but the DR-135 starts making a funny, high-frequency sound -
      just like an antique TV set with a dust-covered CRT.

      Now, any ideas to make LA6VJA move ahead with this APRS project?
    • la6vja
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
        ...but no other signs of the unit actually doing anything.
      • la6vja
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
          And now for even more interesting stuff:

          - The Deluo GPS is not toasted, as I first feared.

          - The Alinco/T2-135 delivers 5V to the connector on the front of the
          radio, but polarity is reversed compared to the documentation coming
          with the T2-135. Neither is the 5V supply toasted, it works just fine
          (real world: +5V on sleeve, GND on ring).

          The Deluo just won't run off the 5V supplied by the T2-135. Even tried
          resetting the entire rig, but the result remains the same.

          When trying to power the Deluo from an external 5V DC power supply, it
          boots up just fine, initially blinking with the blue LED and then
          later indicating a satellite fix.

          Is the 80 mA (or so) drain to run the Deluo GPS just too much for the
          DC regulator in the T2-135? I've made an idiot-proof test setup to try
          powering the Deluo from the rig, but it just doesn't work.

          Any ideas? ...initially excluding having to dig into the junkbox to
          find a 5V regulator and then power the Deluo from an external power
          source, only inputting the NMEA data to the T2-135 via the phono
          jack... which, of course, is a solution, though not exactly what I had
          hoped for.

          73
        • la6vja
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
            Had to make a small interface unit, using a junkbox DC regulator
            supplying 5V DC to the GPS and then wiring signal+gnd from the GPS to
            the phono jack on the front panel. Works fine, though it required some
            extra wiring and soldering. No way the GPS would run off the power
            from the radio/T2-135, even with correct polarity (probably reversed
            on the DR-135E, even though the manual explicity states GND on sleeve
            - not the case).

            BTW, also installed a small switch on the speaker leads to avoid the
            buzzing sounds from the speaker when the TNC is active. Seems to be a
            problem with all DR-135 radios, lack of shielding or something.
            Anyway, the yellow/grey connector at the aft edge of the radio PCB,
            near the SO-239 socket, is for the speaker. There's plenty of room for
            a small switch below the display, on the lower side of the radio.

            Everything working fine. Another exercise in problem-solving. ;)

            73
          • Rudy Benner
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
              Turning down the volume does the same thing.

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                No, with the volume down it still pops - at least mine do. You can plug
                a dummy resistor into the external speaker jack, though.

                Scott

                Rudy Benner wrote:

                > Turning down the volume does the same thing.

                > "la6vja" <la6vja@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Had to make a small interface unit, using a junkbox DC regulator
                > > supplying 5V DC to the GPS and then wiring signal+gnd from the GPS
                > > the phono jack on the front panel. Works fine, though it required
                > some
                > > extra wiring and soldering. No way the GPS would run off the power
                > > from the radio/T2-135, even with correct polarity (probably reversed
                > > on the DR-135E, even though the manual explicity states GND on
                > sleeve
                > > - not the case).
                > >
                > > BTW, also installed a small switch on the speaker leads to avoid the
                > > buzzing sounds from the speaker when the TNC is active. Seems to be
                > > problem with all DR-135 radios, lack of shielding or something.
                > > Anyway, the yellow/grey connector at the aft edge of the radio PCB,
                > > near the SO-239 socket, is for the speaker. There's plenty of room
                > for
                > > a small switch below the display, on the lower side of the radio.
                > >
                > > Everything working fine. Another exercise in problem-solving. ;)
                > >
                > > 73

              • Rudy Benner
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                  Must be a model change, no pop here with the volume down.

                  > No, with the volume down it still pops - at least mine do. You can
                  plug
                  > a dummy resistor into the external speaker jack, though.
                  >
                  > Scott
                  >
                  > Rudy Benner wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Turning down the volume does the same thing.
                  > >
                  > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%
                  40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > > "la6vja" <la6vja@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Had to make a small interface unit, using a junkbox DC
                  regulator
                  > > > supplying 5V DC to the GPS and then wiring signal+gnd from the
                  GPS
                  > > > the phono jack on the front panel. Works fine, though it
                  required
                  > > some
                  > > > extra wiring and soldering. No way the GPS would run off the
                  power
                  > > > from the radio/T2-135, even with correct polarity (probably
                  reversed
                  > > > on the DR-135E, even though the manual explicity states GND on
                  > > sleeve
                  > > > - not the case).
                  > > >
                  > > > BTW, also installed a small switch on the speaker leads to
                  avoid the
                  > > > buzzing sounds from the speaker when the TNC is active. Seems
                  to be
                  > > > problem with all DR-135 radios, lack of shielding or something.
                  > > > Anyway, the yellow/grey connector at the aft edge of the radio
                  PCB,
                  > > > near the SO-239 socket, is for the speaker. There's plenty of
                  room
                  > > for
                  > > > a small switch below the display, on the lower side of the
                  radio.

                  > > > Everything working fine. Another exercise in problem-
                  solving. ;)

                  > > > 73

                • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                    concur, I did the same to silence the radio.

                    Paulus - N5SNN/YD0NXX

                    Rudy Benner wrote:

                    > Turning down the volume does the same thing.

                    > "la6vja" <la6vja@...> wrote:
                    >  >
                    >  > Had to make a small interface unit, using a junkbox DC regulator
                    >  > supplying 5V DC to the GPS and then wiring signal+gnd from the GPS
                    >  > the phono jack on the front panel. Works fine, though it required
                    > some
                    >  > extra wiring and soldering. No way the GPS would run off the power
                    >  > from the radio/T2-135, even with correct polarity (probably reversed
                    >  > on the DR-135E, even though the manual explicity states GND on
                    > sleeve
                    >  > - not the case).
                    >  >
                    >  > BTW, also installed a small switch on the speaker leads to avoid the
                    >  > buzzing sounds from the speaker when the TNC is active. Seems to be
                    >  > problem with all DR-135 radios, lack of shielding or something.
                    >  > Anyway, the yellow/grey connector at the aft edge of the radio PCB,
                    >  > near the SO-239 socket, is for the speaker. There's plenty of
                    room
                    > for
                    >  > a small switch below the display, on the lower side of the radio.
                    >  >
                    >  > Everything working fine. Another exercise in problem-solving. ;)
                    >  >
                    >  > 73
                    >  >

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        mailto:tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        mailto:tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Mark Cheavens
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
                      My MKIII does NOT pop, a friends VERY early model DOES.

                      Mark
                      KC5EVE

                      At 06:43 PM 2/3/2009, you wrote:

                      Must be a model change, no pop here with the volume down.

                      > No, with the volume down it still pops - at least mine do. You can
                      plug
                      > a dummy resistor into the external speaker jack, though.
                      >
                      > Scott
                      >
                      > Rudy Benner wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Turning down the volume does the same thing.
                      > >
                      > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%
                      40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > > "la6vja" <la6vja@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Had to make a small interface unit, using a junkbox DC
                      regulator
                      > > > supplying 5V DC to the GPS and then wiring signal+gnd from the
                      GPS
                      > > > the phono jack on the front panel. Works fine, though it
                      required
                      > > some
                      > > > extra wiring and soldering. No way the GPS would run off the
                      power
                      > > > from the radio/T2-135, even with correct polarity (probably
                      reversed
                      > > > on the DR-135E, even though the manual explicity states GND on
                      > > sleeve
                      > > > - not the case).
                      > > >
                      > > > BTW, also installed a small switch on the speaker leads to
                      avoid the
                      > > > buzzing sounds from the speaker when the TNC is active. Seems
                      to be
                      > > > problem with all DR-135 radios, lack of shielding or something.
                      > > > Anyway, the yellow/grey connector at the aft edge of the radio
                      PCB,
                      > > > near the SO-239 socket, is for the speaker. There's plenty of
                      room
                      > > for
                      > > > a small switch below the display, on the lower side of the
                      radio.

                      > > > Everything working fine. Another exercise in problem-
                      solving. ;)

                      > > > 73

                    • la6vja
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 4, 2009
                        The design has probably improved. Mine is the DR-135E, with S/N
                        T0008xx - new in 2003. Made the same buzz with the EJ-41U installed.
                        And ... NO, the obvious "volume to minimum" didn't help at all.

                        73

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 4, 2009
                          Are you referring to the buzz that is associated with the GPS data
                          stream, or are you referring to the squelch pops.

                          My serial number is M004567 Mk III, newly purchased in November.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                            It's the GPS data stream causing buzz in the speaker. No squelch
                            popping problems.

                            Are there any considerable upgrades done to the Mk III - as compared
                            to the "plain" one (Mk I?) ?

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                              As I have only one, I have no basis for comparison. I doubt I will get
                              another one.