T2 tracker package

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2009
      I've been working on my Tracker2 SAR package again:

      http://n1vg.net/images/sar_tracker.jpg

      It includes a 5-watt transceiver with integrated Tracker2
      (tracker/digipeater/etc), a SiRFstar III GPS receiver with patch
      antenna, and an 8xAA battery pack. The whole thing is surrounded by
      about 1/4" of rubber padding on the inside, and when you close the latch
      it forms a snug fit that keeps everything in place with a good deal of
      shock resistance. With some RTV around the base of the antenna, it
      should be submersible.

      The pictured unit is mostly a mock-up at the moment, though. All of
      those pieces are there, but (aside from the T2 and radio) nothing's
      connected. That antenna is a perfect fit, but it happens to have an SMA
      connector and not the BNC it needs. The GPS receiver is just dropped in
      to test the fit.

      When I'm done, there should be a small control panel with a power LED,
      on/off/configuration switch, and a programming/external GPS jack. I'm
      still working on how that's going to be laid out.

      I wish the loops were on the sides, to make it easier to strap to a pack
      with webbing, but I'm sure I can still work out some kind of mounting
      system.

      Scott
      N1VG
    • Adam Sherman
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2009
        First, I love it. Good work.

        On 2-Feb-09, at 15:07 , Scott Miller wrote:
        > I wish the loops were on the sides, to make it easier to strap to a
        > pack
        > with webbing, but I'm sure I can still work out some kind of mounting
        > system.

        I can visualize a single piece of seat-belf webbing that would loop
        through the two end loops via the bottom of the unit and over the
        compression straps on your average alpine-style pack. A bit of velcro
        and voila.

        I like it!

        A.

        --
        Adam Sherman
        Logistics Director - Directeur de la logistique, SG1
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2009
          I can confirm that the friction-fit antenna (in my somewhat jagged
          hand-cut hole) is NOT submersible. I dropped the unit (with scrap T2
          end panels in place of the electronics) in a tub of water and it leaked
          pretty quickly, even with a grommet. Still, rain wouldn't be a problem,
          and with a proper hole and some RTV I really think it can be pretty
          waterproof.

          I was thinking about the webbing loop thing myself. It just can't be
          too difficult to undo to get access to the guts.

          Scott

          Adam Sherman wrote:

          > First, I love it. Good work.
          >
          > On 2-Feb-09, at 15:07 , Scott Miller wrote:
          > > I wish the loops were on the sides, to make it easier to strap to a
          > > pack
          > > with webbing, but I'm sure I can still work out some kind of mounting
          > > system.
          >
          > I can visualize a single piece of seat-belf webbing that would loop
          > through the two end loops via the bottom of the unit and over the
          > compression straps on your average alpine-style pack. A bit of velcro
          > and voila.
          >
          > I like it!
          >
          > A.
          >
          > --
          > Adam Sherman
          > Logistics Director - Directeur de la logistique, SG1
          > +1 (613) 797-6819

        • Adam Sherman
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2, 2009
            On 2-Feb-09, at 16:06 , Scott Miller wrote:
            > I can confirm that the friction-fit antenna (in my somewhat jagged
            > hand-cut hole) is NOT submersible. I dropped the unit (with scrap T2
            > end panels in place of the electronics) in a tub of water and it
            > leaked
            > pretty quickly, even with a grommet. Still, rain wouldn't be a
            > problem,
            > and with a proper hole and some RTV I really think it can be pretty
            > waterproof.

            Now that you have the radio in the case, does it happen to line up
            sufficiently to use a bulkhead-style BNC connector through the case
            and connect it with just a male-to-male BNC coupler?

            > I was thinking about the webbing loop thing myself. It just can't be
            > too difficult to undo to get access to the guts.

            Without drawing, it's hard to explain… If you look at the case,
            vertically, and thread the webbing down through the loop and behind/
            under the case then out the other loop, it won't prevent the case from
            being opened.

            A.

            --
            Adam Sherman
            me@...
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2, 2009
              Scott,

              This is most excellent!

              Is the GPS antenna oriented properly with the antenna vertical?
              Educating users how to carry their GPS to record good tracks is
              a similar issue (it's a sore point, if you can't tell).

              The first point where I would want alternatives: the antenna system.
              A rubber duckie is optimized for convenience, and performance is
              important but secondary. The one you are likely to use on the
              T2 Tracker will probably be significantly better than stock HT
              antennas. Given the application, alternative antennas that have
              even better performance will be of major interest.

              The stock TH-D7A(g) rubber duck is not suitable for remote area
              tracking, so we use something like the Comet SMA-24 (the BNC-24
              is available). It is robust enough to survive brush. One
              user who thought it should be carried in a front-radio-pack
              tied the antenna in a loose knot to keep it out of his face,
              and it survived (the user was re-educated to carry the tracker
              inside his pack).

              I have thought of having an externally mounted antenna, so locating
              the tracker would have more options. Something like an arrow shaft,
              carried in the pack with the top just sticking above, with an
              antenna mount (assuming the antenna does not require the radio or
              tracker to be part of the antenna system). Of course, the location
              of the tracker box must allow for GPS reception, unless you design
              a combined radio and gps antenna!

              Also, an external antenna will reduce stress on the antenna connection
              in the box.

              First things first, however. I'm sure there will be a lot of interest
              in your basic model!

              Mykle N7JZT
              Tucson AZ SAR

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 2, 2009
                > Now that you have the radio in the case, does it happen to line up
                > sufficiently to use a bulkhead-style BNC connector through the case
                > and connect it with just a male-to-male BNC coupler?

                It lines up just fine, assuming you can get the length right. And
                trying to get everything mated might be tricky.

                > Without drawing, it's hard to explain… If you look at the case,
                > vertically, and thread the webbing down through the loop and behind/
                > under the case then out the other loop, it won't prevent the case from
                > being opened.

                Yeah, I see what you mean.

                Scott
              • Tom Hayward
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2, 2009
                  > Is the GPS antenna oriented properly with the antenna vertical?
                  > Educating users how to carry their GPS to record good tracks is
                  > a similar issue (it's a sore point, if you can't tell).
                  >>
                  > tracker to be part of the antenna system). Of course, the location
                  > of the tracker box must allow for GPS reception, unless you design
                  > a combined radio and gps antenna!

                  I don't think this will be an issue with the SiRFstar III GPS receiver
                  Scott has picked for this device. I've never succeeding in getting
                  this GPS to lose signal during normal operation (on the floor of my
                  car, in the basement, under trees--doesn't seem to phase it).

                  Nothing like the old yellow eTrex units that have to see the sky to
                  get a signal!

                  Tom KD7LXL
                • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2009

                    Scott, is this something you are going to be selling in the near future? I would like to take this idea to our SAR group so they can get some idea of their mounted operations and use with aprs.

                    Thanks

                    Peter-N0WRE

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2009
                      Looks like a winner, very similar to the MT-AIO, but with more
                      features. The weak point will be the antenna.

                      I have a Comet BNC-24 antenna for my Solar Digi package, with
                      provision for a real antenna. The solar digi is fully portable, about
                      10# in weight, with provision for external power and solar panels, a
                      good charge controller and low voltage disconnect. Its all contained
                      in a camera bag. Powerpole connectors of course. This is a prototype
                      for local SAR.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 2, 2009
                        I hope so, but I'm not committing to a release date yet. Should be
                        ready by Dayton at any rate.

                        I'm running all over the place today trying to get little bits of half a
                        dozen projects done. But my new employee is an hour and a half late on
                        his third day on the job, so I may have to stop all of that and go pack
                        some orders myself...

                        Scott

                        Peter Dakota Summerhawk wrote:

                        > Scott, is this something you are going to be selling in the near future?
                        > I would like to take this idea to our SAR group so they can get some
                        > idea of their mounted operations and use with aprs.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > Peter-N0WRE

                      • Kevin Ratcliff
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
                          Scott,

                          It's been a while since I've heard an update about your SAR tracker
                          package project. My SAR team is currently looking into APRS options
                          again after a failed attempt to use a commercial proprietary GPS
                          speaker-mic system for tracking.

                          Any additional information you can provide about estimated pricing and
                          timeframe for availability would be helpful to us. If you don't have
                          this info ready yet that's totally understandable, just let me know. I
                          understand that you have a lot of projects going on at once!

                          Thanks!

                          Kevin
                          KB9MQU

                          On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                          > I've been working on my Tracker2 SAR package again:
                          >
                          > http://n1vg.net/images/sar_tracker.jpg
                          >
                          > It includes a 5-watt transceiver with integrated Tracker2
                          > (tracker/digipeater/etc), a SiRFstar III GPS receiver with patch
                          > antenna, and an 8xAA battery pack.  The whole thing is surrounded by
                          > about 1/4" of rubber padding on the inside, and when you close the latch
                          > it forms a snug fit that keeps everything in place with a good deal of
                          > shock resistance.  With some RTV around the base of the antenna, it
                          > should be submersible.
                          >
                          > The pictured unit is mostly a mock-up at the moment, though.  All of
                          > those pieces are there, but (aside from the T2 and radio) nothing's
                          > connected.  That antenna is a perfect fit, but it happens to have an SMA
                          > connector and not the BNC it needs.  The GPS receiver is just dropped in
                          > to test the fit.
                          >
                          > When I'm done, there should be a small control panel with a power LED,
                          > on/off/configuration switch, and a programming/external GPS jack.  I'm
                          > still working on how that's going to be laid out.
                          >
                          > I wish the loops were on the sides, to make it easier to strap to a pack
                          > with webbing, but I'm sure I can still work out some kind of mounting
                          > system.
                          >
                          > Scott
                          > N1VG
                        • Keith VE7GDH
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
                            Kevin KB9MQU wrote...

                            > Scott, It's been a while since I've heard an update about your SAR
                            > tracker package project...

                            I'm sure Scott will reply when he gets a chance, but in case you aren't
                            aware, he is (as far as I know) still in China on a buying trip, so
                            replies might be a bit slower than usual.

                            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                          • Dan Zubey
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 22, 2009
                              Actually I heard from him yesterday. He was in Bangkok. I told him to be
                              good and to be safe.

                              Should have told him to not wear any blue or red shirts. (you'll get
                              that if you've read the news lately)

                              -Dan N7NMD

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 23, 2009
                                Got back yesterday, just getting settled back into the office this
                                morning and digging through piles of mail. It'll take me a couple of
                                days to get caught up. Still a bit jet-lagged.

                                Scott

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 23, 2009
                                  Yeah, I was very careful to wear neutral colors! In any case the riot
                                  cops aren't paying much attention to foreigners anyway. It's the locals
                                  who are making trouble. And honestly it was really quiet when I was
                                  there. Well, as quiet as Bangkok ever gets, I suppose. But on the cab
                                  ride to the airport at 3 AM, the police presence was obvious - passed a
                                  couple of big armored vehicles, and saw a checkpoint or two.

                                  I got the impression that both sides are playing a lot to the
                                  international media and that it's been blown out of proportion in the press.

                                  Scott

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 23, 2009
                                    Sorry for answering messages out of order, my inbox is a bit of a mess!
                                    I got through about 150 messages on the plane, but got 400 new ones
                                    between the time I got on the plane and when I got home.

                                    The first 4 beta units shipped already. I've got to get some new PCBs
                                    made before I do any more, though. Those required way too much manual
                                    assembly. I should have some more units ready in time for Dayton,
                                    though. I hope. (If anyone knows where I can get 1/16" black Garolite
                                    G10 cut to size, that'd save me some time - the standard sizes are too
                                    small to be useful, or too big to fit into my CNC milling machine and
                                    cutting them down is a pain.)

                                    You might have already said, but I missed it - what made the GPS mic
                                    attempt a failure?

                                    Scott