RE: [SPAM]Re: [tracker2] FT-2600M

  • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

      Hello Randy,

      Thank you VERY much for such a detailed email. Much appreciated. I am going to be hooking this up to a Nuvi 350. Hope that works out well. Any tips around that?

      Thanks and 73

      Vicky Bagwalla

      VA3VJB

      blog: http://va3vjb.blogspot.com

      ==========================

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
        On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
        > Thank you VERY much for such a detailed email. Much appreciated. I am going
        > to be hooking this up to a Nuvi 350. Hope that works out well. Any tips
        > around that?

        No problem, Vicky.

        I run a Nuvi360 / OT2m with an FT-8900 in my car as my full time APRS mobile.
        The Tracker2/Nuvi combo is rather nice.

        First off, download this excellent Nuvi 350 -> Tracker2 guide by Paul EI5GTB

        http://www.paulsnet.org/nuviv1.pdf

        Read it through to get an idea of what you will need to do and what
        goodies will result from doing it!

        The only two things that I can added that are not in Paul's .pdf are:
        1. Set your MAXRANGE in the otconfig.exe to something reasonable, like
        60 miles ( 100 km )
        2. Periodically, do this:

        Dispatch->Find Location->My Locations
        and then press the Delete All button in the lower right hand corner.

        This will clear out your ever growing collection of posits/waypoints
        that the Nuvi will receive from the Tracker2. If you don't do this,
        you will eventually get a message from the Nuvi saying "My Locations
        Memory is Full". Doing the above procedure will cure the Nuvi's lack
        of appetite.

        If you haven't ordered your Tracker2 from Scott yet, be sure to order
        the Garmin to Nuvi cable at the same time. Spend the extra $5 or so to
        let Scott put the DB-9 on the cable for you. That way it is plug and
        play once you get all the parts.. :) You will need the Garmin Garmin
        010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable and select the DB-9 for a Tracker2 in
        the dropdown on the order page.

        Lastly, once you get it all up and going, go to the files section of
        the group here, and download the Nuvi350/Tracker 2 cheatsheet and keep
        on in your glovebox... Handy little guide that is too...

        Good luck and have fun!
        The Tracker2 and Nuvi combo is 'da bomb' as the kids say these days...

        73,
        Randy
        WF5X
      • Vicky Bagwalla
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

          I made all the connections today and it worked for a minute or so (then I had to turn it off as it was transmitting every 15 secs). When I re-programmed it to do it every 5 minutes I can see the TX and ACT lights … light up.. but the FT-2600 does not key up. I know it all worked because I tested it and it WAS transmitting. What could have gone wrong??

          ============ ========= =====

          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

            I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?

          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
              Vicky VA3VJB wrote...

              > I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?

              and

              > I made all the connections today and it worked for a minute or so
              > (then I had to turn it off as it was transmitting every 15 secs). When
              > I re-programmed it to do it every 5 minutes I can see the TX and ACT
              > lights light up.. but the FT-2600 does not key up. I know it all
              > worked because I tested it and it WAS transmitting. What could have
              > gone wrong??

              I've read on here and in www.paulsnet.org/nuviv1.pdf that the T2 should
              be turned on before the Nuvi 350. However, I've had equal success in
              turning them on in any order and in disconnecting and reconnecting the
              Nuvi 350.

              I would suggest taking a step back and try and determine what is not
              working. First, if it was transmitting every 15 seconds, why was it
              doing that? Any chance RF was getting back into the T2, or was it a
              programming problem? Looking at aprs.fi, I couldn't see any sign that
              your T2 had made it to an IGate. Was the supply voltage good? Can you
              reliably run otwincfg.exe and talk to the T2? Re the radio not actually
              transmitting now... any chance there is an intermittent problem in the
              radio cable? You could test that by disconnecting the radio from the T2
              and manually grounding the PTT line and wiggling the cable to see if it
              transmits continuously or intermittently.

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            • Randy Love
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                Vicky,

                You say that you made the cable to spec.. I want to make sure you are
                talking about the Ft-2600 to OT2 cable first.

                If you look closely at either the front or the back of your DB-9
                connector ( easier with a magnifying glass ), you should see small
                numbers in the plastic beside/near each pin. These are the numbers
                that I used to determine the pin outs between the OT2 and the FT-2600.
                The DB-9 are made to a specification that requires the numbering.
                Verify the hookup info that I send you against those numbers. On a
                Male DB-9, they are indeed on the back of the connecter ( the side you
                solder to ). Looking at the BACK of a DB-9 male, the pin order should
                be:

                5 4 3 2 1
                9 8 7 6

                From the looks of the pin listing you sent above, you may have had it
                backwards. If you wire the DB-9 correctly, the OT2 will turn on and
                off with the on/off switch of the FT-2600. Also, make sure the side
                wired for the Ft-2600 is plugged into the Ft-2600 and the OT2 side to
                the OT2.. The cable will not work if reversed.

                Once you verify that the plugs are wired correctly, there is one
                setting that you should check on the FT-2600M. Make sure that Menu
                option 16 LCKTX is OFF. This is the radio's transmit inhibit option.

                While you're in the menus, click on over to option 18 PCKT and set it
                to OFF... this will turn the MIC off during packet transmissions.

                First place to start would be the self made cable. Check, solder,
                recheck, ( swear, remove oopsies, resolder, recheck ) ohm out, then
                plug in the radio... I'm messed up my share of cables... comes with
                the territory... :)

                Let us know what else you find out.

                73,
                Randy
                WF5X
              • Randy Love
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                  Another note here..
                  The diagram you sent is correct for the solder side of a DB-9 FEMALE connector.

                  The pins are a mirror image of each other so that Pin 1 is Pin 1 when
                  a Male and Female are 'mated'.

                  So, the back side of a DB-9 Female is:

                  1 2 3 4 5
                  6 7 8 9

                  And the back side of a DB-9 Male is:

                  5 4 3 2 1
                  9 8 7 6

                  Randy
                  WF5X
                • Jason KG4WSV
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                    On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

                    > The pins are a mirror image of each other so that Pin 1 is Pin 1 when
                    > a Male and Female are 'mated'.

                    I've screwed up enough of these that I should be able to remember the
                    pinout by now, but I always just shine a light into the end of the
                    connector. The pins are usually numbered down in there...

                    -Jason
                    kg4wsv
                  • t3@razzolink.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                      I was taught a trick a long time ago that has saved me much grief.

                      Mark the plastic next to Pin 1 with a magic marker.

                      Most of my connectors have white plastic insulators so the black dot
                      next to Pin 1 keeps me honest when wiring.

                      Whiteout might work for the black insulators.

                      T3

                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 6, 2009
                        (Sorry everyone, I'm behind on email and trying to get caught up...)

                        No, there's no particular combination required. Everything's supposed
                        to tolerate being turned on in any order.

                        Scott

                        Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB wrote:

                        > I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?
                        >

                        > Thanks and 73
                        >

                        > Vicky Bagwalla
                        >
                        > VA3VJB
                        >
                        > blog: http://va3vjb.blogspot.com
                        >
                        > ==========================

                      • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 14, 2009

                          Hello Randy,

                          I tried putting a voltmeter across the pins for 5 and 8 for the FT-2600 but do not detect any voltage. Any ideas?

                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 16, 2009
                            On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
                            > I tried putting a voltmeter across the pins for 5 and 8 for the FT-2600 but
                            > do not detect any voltage. Any ideas?

                            Hi, Vicky.

                            The power on pin 8 is switched on and off by the radio's power switch.
                            If the radio is not powered on, there will be no voltage between pins
                            8 and 5. Also, try between pin 8 and the case or chassis of the radio.

                            One other thing, the current rating on this pin is only 50mA. It is
                            possible that the current limiting could have been exceeded and the
                            pin is now disabled. I don't have a schematic for the radio to check
                            the circuit to see where else to check for the voltage.

                            Looking at the back of the radio with the power cable on the upper
                            side, the pin out is this...

                            6 7 8 9
                            1 2 3 4 5

                            As always, double check the pins you are checking ( I sometimes triple
                            and quadruple check myself... :)

                            73,
                            Randy
                            WF5X