FT-2600M

  • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

      Hello,

      Has anyone used the FT-2600M with opentracker successfully? If so, do you use the MIC input or the DB9 in the back (the one thats used for TNC)

      Thanks and 73

      Vicky Bagwalla

      VA3VJB

      blog: http://va3vjb.blogspot.com

      ==========================

    • sminke
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

        > Scott KB8NUM wrote...
        >
        > > it was still in Garmin mode. So here is what happens in Tera Term
        > >
        > > cmd:amode auto
        > > AMODE AUTO
        > > nothing flashes on T2
        >
        > That would be normal. It didn't receive a signal. You didn't tell
        it to
        > transmit. There isn't a GPS connected... or is there? I have a T2-
        135
        > and not an OT2m.
        >
        > > cmd:beacon
        > > BEACON
        > > nothing flashes on T2
        >
        > I would consider that abnormal, but looking below, I see position
        is set
        > to GPS. If you enter a position in POSITION, does BEACON cause it
        > beacon then? I just gave it a try here. With POSITION set to GPS,
        > sending BEACON on the command line did not cause it to beacon.
        However
        > when I entered a position, it did. That changes my comment
        to "normal".

        > > cmd:send kb8num test
        > > nothing is returned to Tera Term window
        > > TX and ACT led flash red
        >
        > Sounds normal. If KB8NUM hears it, you should get an ACK to your
        APRS
        > message. In the terminal program it would say "Message delivered".
        > Looking at your settings below, it should try 6 times.
        >
        > > ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE 3:TEMP
        >
        > Of course, RELAY is obsolete in North America. as USEALIAS 1 is
        OFF, it
        > won't cause any harm, but you could change it sometime... e.g.
        >
        > ALIAS 1 WIDE
        > ALIAS 2 TEMP
        > ALIAS 3 SAR
        > ALIAS 4 FL
        >
        > That would over-write the RELAY that is in there now.
        > Alternatively you could remove RELAY and not replace it...
        >
        > ALIAS 1 -
        >
        > > AUTHLIST
        >
        > You could put your own callsign in AUTHLIST so you could send
        remote
        > commands to it...
        >
        > AUTHLIST +KB8NUM
        >
        > > COMMENT
        >
        > Optional, but you could put something like the following in...
        >
        > COMMENT T2 NUVI350
        >
        > > COMPRESS OFF
        >
        > Positions will be human readable with it OFF, but turning it ON
        will
        > shorten the beacons a bit.
        >
        > > HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0
        >
        > The HOPLIMIT setting will only be meaningful if the digi is turned
        on...
        > e.g. USEALIAS 1 ON but I would decide on which aliases to enter and
        > enter reasonable hop limits ahead of time. One less thing to do if
        you
        > decide to enable the digi aliases later.
        >
        > > POSITION GPS
        >
        > Try manually entering a position to see if BEACON will cause it to
        > beacon.
        >
        > > REQALL OFF
        >
        > With it OFF, if any of the profile switching conditions are met,
        it will
        > change profiles.
        >
        > > TXONCHG OFF
        >
        > I prefer it to transmit when changing profiles... i.e. ON
        >
        > > MAXRANGE 0
        > > WAYPOINTS ON
        > > WPTLEN 9
        >
        > When you have it back in GARMIN mode, the above will cause it to
        output
        > received position reports as waypoints. You can decide if you want
        > limit the range later. With MAXRANGE set to zero, it will output
        all, no
        > matter how far they are from you. I started out that way, but
        started
        > putting small limits (20 km) when the Nuvi 350 couldn't store any
        more
        > waypoints.
        >
        > > I'm I on the correct path of trouble shooting?
        > > What am I missing? Are there more commands I should run?
        >
        > Actually, it sounds like it's working OK. Program it the way you
        want it
        > to run and then just use it... e.g. you probably want to enable
        > SmartBeaconing, but INT 120 is OK for testing. With everything set
        the
        > way you want it, just put it back in GARMIN mode and connect the
        Nuvi
        > 350.
        >
        > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

        Keith,
        Thanks - I'll keep plugging away. I appreciate the help. Maybe
        Scott can get this leve of detail into the next update of the
        manual. Then we can just say please read the manual...
        Seems like there are a lot of options, that have to be tried to make
        it function the way we expect.

        /Scott
        KB8NUM
      • Randy Love
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
          On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
          > Has anyone used the FT-2600M with opentracker successfully? If so, do you
          > use the MIC input or the DB9 in the back (the one thats used for TNC)

          Hi, Vicky.

          I have had really good success with my OT+ and an FT-2600M. For one
          public service event, we ran it on an ATV with a power pack and it
          worked great. I've also used it on trips in other people's vehicles
          and my second vehicle when I don't remember to put the voice rig back
          in it. :)

          I wired the OT+ to the FT-2600 DB9 since it provides power and makes
          for one less cable to mess with.
          The pinouts that I worked out for this combo are:

          Pin# - OT+/OT2m Function -> Pin # - FT-2600M Function
          1 - TX Audio 9 - TX1200
          3 - PTT 7 - PTT
          5 - RX Audio 4 - RX1200
          6 - Ground 5 - Ground
          7 - Power IN 12VDC 8 - DC out 5VDC

          A note here is that on my FT-2600, it says in the manual that pin 8
          has 5 VDC on it. According to the posit reports from the OT+, the
          actual voltage supplied on the pin is 8.8 VDC. Also, the 500ma current
          allowance is enough to power the OT+/OT2m and a gps puck.

          This is a great combination. I use this particular one as my 'We need
          a tracker on this (insert vehicle here) right now" setup since it's
          very simple to hook it up and go. It has worked so well, that I have
          just acquired 4 more used FT-2600M's to turn into reserve
          trackers/digipeaters. :)

          I prefer using the data jack because wiring it up to use the mic and
          speaker plugs makes the install much more 'messy' and requires that
          the volume knob be used. The audio levels out the back are sufficient,
          and are constant no matter what the volume knob setting.

          One note here... be sure to label the interface cable well. The
          OT2m/OT+ and the FT-2600M both accept a DB-9 Male connector... if
          hooked up backwards, there is the possibility of damage to the
          FT-2600M and/or the OT+/OT2m.

          Good luck and 73,
          Randy
          WF5X
        • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

            Hello Randy,

            Thank you VERY much for such a detailed email. Much appreciated. I am going to be hooking this up to a Nuvi 350. Hope that works out well. Any tips around that?

            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
              On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
              > Thank you VERY much for such a detailed email. Much appreciated. I am going
              > to be hooking this up to a Nuvi 350. Hope that works out well. Any tips
              > around that?

              No problem, Vicky.

              I run a Nuvi360 / OT2m with an FT-8900 in my car as my full time APRS mobile.
              The Tracker2/Nuvi combo is rather nice.

              First off, download this excellent Nuvi 350 -> Tracker2 guide by Paul EI5GTB

              http://www.paulsnet.org/nuviv1.pdf

              Read it through to get an idea of what you will need to do and what
              goodies will result from doing it!

              The only two things that I can added that are not in Paul's .pdf are:
              1. Set your MAXRANGE in the otconfig.exe to something reasonable, like
              60 miles ( 100 km )
              2. Periodically, do this:

              Dispatch->Find Location->My Locations
              and then press the Delete All button in the lower right hand corner.

              This will clear out your ever growing collection of posits/waypoints
              that the Nuvi will receive from the Tracker2. If you don't do this,
              you will eventually get a message from the Nuvi saying "My Locations
              Memory is Full". Doing the above procedure will cure the Nuvi's lack
              of appetite.

              If you haven't ordered your Tracker2 from Scott yet, be sure to order
              the Garmin to Nuvi cable at the same time. Spend the extra $5 or so to
              let Scott put the DB-9 on the cable for you. That way it is plug and
              play once you get all the parts.. :) You will need the Garmin Garmin
              010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable and select the DB-9 for a Tracker2 in
              the dropdown on the order page.

              Lastly, once you get it all up and going, go to the files section of
              the group here, and download the Nuvi350/Tracker 2 cheatsheet and keep
              on in your glovebox... Handy little guide that is too...

              Good luck and have fun!
              The Tracker2 and Nuvi combo is 'da bomb' as the kids say these days...

              73,
              Randy
              WF5X
            • Vicky Bagwalla
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

                I made all the connections today and it worked for a minute or so (then I had to turn it off as it was transmitting every 15 secs). When I re-programmed it to do it every 5 minutes I can see the TX and ACT lights … light up.. but the FT-2600 does not key up. I know it all worked because I tested it and it WAS transmitting. What could have gone wrong??

                ============ ========= =====

                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

                  I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?

                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                    Vicky VA3VJB wrote...

                    > I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?

                    and

                    > I made all the connections today and it worked for a minute or so
                    > (then I had to turn it off as it was transmitting every 15 secs). When
                    > I re-programmed it to do it every 5 minutes I can see the TX and ACT
                    > lights light up.. but the FT-2600 does not key up. I know it all
                    > worked because I tested it and it WAS transmitting. What could have
                    > gone wrong??

                    I've read on here and in www.paulsnet.org/nuviv1.pdf that the T2 should
                    be turned on before the Nuvi 350. However, I've had equal success in
                    turning them on in any order and in disconnecting and reconnecting the
                    Nuvi 350.

                    I would suggest taking a step back and try and determine what is not
                    working. First, if it was transmitting every 15 seconds, why was it
                    doing that? Any chance RF was getting back into the T2, or was it a
                    programming problem? Looking at aprs.fi, I couldn't see any sign that
                    your T2 had made it to an IGate. Was the supply voltage good? Can you
                    reliably run otwincfg.exe and talk to the T2? Re the radio not actually
                    transmitting now... any chance there is an intermittent problem in the
                    radio cable? You could test that by disconnecting the radio from the T2
                    and manually grounding the PTT line and wiggling the cable to see if it
                    transmits continuously or intermittently.

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  • Randy Love
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                      Vicky,

                      You say that you made the cable to spec.. I want to make sure you are
                      talking about the Ft-2600 to OT2 cable first.

                      If you look closely at either the front or the back of your DB-9
                      connector ( easier with a magnifying glass ), you should see small
                      numbers in the plastic beside/near each pin. These are the numbers
                      that I used to determine the pin outs between the OT2 and the FT-2600.
                      The DB-9 are made to a specification that requires the numbering.
                      Verify the hookup info that I send you against those numbers. On a
                      Male DB-9, they are indeed on the back of the connecter ( the side you
                      solder to ). Looking at the BACK of a DB-9 male, the pin order should
                      be:

                      5 4 3 2 1
                      9 8 7 6

                      From the looks of the pin listing you sent above, you may have had it
                      backwards. If you wire the DB-9 correctly, the OT2 will turn on and
                      off with the on/off switch of the FT-2600. Also, make sure the side
                      wired for the Ft-2600 is plugged into the Ft-2600 and the OT2 side to
                      the OT2.. The cable will not work if reversed.

                      Once you verify that the plugs are wired correctly, there is one
                      setting that you should check on the FT-2600M. Make sure that Menu
                      option 16 LCKTX is OFF. This is the radio's transmit inhibit option.

                      While you're in the menus, click on over to option 18 PCKT and set it
                      to OFF... this will turn the MIC off during packet transmissions.

                      First place to start would be the self made cable. Check, solder,
                      recheck, ( swear, remove oopsies, resolder, recheck ) ohm out, then
                      plug in the radio... I'm messed up my share of cables... comes with
                      the territory... :)

                      Let us know what else you find out.

                      73,
                      Randy
                      WF5X
                    • Randy Love
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                        Another note here..
                        The diagram you sent is correct for the solder side of a DB-9 FEMALE connector.

                        The pins are a mirror image of each other so that Pin 1 is Pin 1 when
                        a Male and Female are 'mated'.

                        So, the back side of a DB-9 Female is:

                        1 2 3 4 5
                        6 7 8 9

                        And the back side of a DB-9 Male is:

                        5 4 3 2 1
                        9 8 7 6

                        Randy
                        WF5X
                      • Jason KG4WSV
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                          On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

                          > The pins are a mirror image of each other so that Pin 1 is Pin 1 when
                          > a Male and Female are 'mated'.

                          I've screwed up enough of these that I should be able to remember the
                          pinout by now, but I always just shine a light into the end of the
                          connector. The pins are usually numbered down in there...

                          -Jason
                          kg4wsv
                        • t3@razzolink.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                            I was taught a trick a long time ago that has saved me much grief.

                            Mark the plastic next to Pin 1 with a magic marker.

                            Most of my connectors have white plastic insulators so the black dot
                            next to Pin 1 keeps me honest when wiring.

                            Whiteout might work for the black insulators.

                            T3

                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 6, 2009
                              (Sorry everyone, I'm behind on email and trying to get caught up...)

                              No, there's no particular combination required. Everything's supposed
                              to tolerate being turned on in any order.

                              Scott

                              Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB wrote:

                              > I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?
                              >

                              > Thanks and 73
                              >

                              > Vicky Bagwalla
                              >
                              > VA3VJB
                              >
                              > blog: http://va3vjb.blogspot.com
                              >
                              > ==========================

                            • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 14, 2009

                                Hello Randy,

                                I tried putting a voltmeter across the pins for 5 and 8 for the FT-2600 but do not detect any voltage. Any ideas?

                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 16, 2009
                                  On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
                                  > I tried putting a voltmeter across the pins for 5 and 8 for the FT-2600 but
                                  > do not detect any voltage. Any ideas?

                                  Hi, Vicky.

                                  The power on pin 8 is switched on and off by the radio's power switch.
                                  If the radio is not powered on, there will be no voltage between pins
                                  8 and 5. Also, try between pin 8 and the case or chassis of the radio.

                                  One other thing, the current rating on this pin is only 50mA. It is
                                  possible that the current limiting could have been exceeded and the
                                  pin is now disabled. I don't have a schematic for the radio to check
                                  the circuit to see where else to check for the voltage.

                                  Looking at the back of the radio with the power cable on the upper
                                  side, the pin out is this...

                                  6 7 8 9
                                  1 2 3 4 5

                                  As always, double check the pins you are checking ( I sometimes triple
                                  and quadruple check myself... :)

                                  73,
                                  Randy
                                  WF5X