Tracker2 in Kiss Mode

  • ve7did
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
      Been having erratic and intermittent operation of the unit when using
      it in kiss mode. I have done some testing and a kpc3+ & a PK-96 work
      flawlessly.

      Question I have is, what are the min & max receive signals on pin 5
      which the tracker2 expects to see in order to operate properly?

      When the tracker2 does decode properly, I "assume" the ACT led comes
      on slightly later to send the data to the computer. Is this correct?

      If so, occasionally (perhaps 20% of time) data is sent to the computer
      WITHOUT the ACT led coming on. (I'm monitoring it with the listen
      command in Linux).

      I have fiddled with the EQ jumper and does not make much difference.
      These problems could be caused by too much or not enough audio. I
      again fiddled with the input levels, but could not come up with a
      definitive answer.

      Thx.... Tom ve7did
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
        The T2 needs at least a few mV of signal. The ACT LED blinks when the
        T2 thinks the channel is busy, based on whatever your carrier detect
        mode is - energy detect, software DCD, or external squelch. It'll
        decode packets whether the channel is 'busy' or not.

        Scott

        ve7did wrote:

        > Been having erratic and intermittent operation of the unit when using
        > it in kiss mode. I have done some testing and a kpc3+ & a PK-96 work
        > flawlessly.
        >
        > Question I have is, what are the min & max receive signals on pin 5
        > which the tracker2 expects to see in order to operate properly?
        >
        > When the tracker2 does decode properly, I "assume" the ACT led comes
        > on slightly later to send the data to the computer. Is this correct?
        >
        > If so, occasionally (perhaps 20% of time) data is sent to the computer
        > WITHOUT the ACT led coming on. (I'm monitoring it with the listen
        > command in Linux).
        >
        > I have fiddled with the EQ jumper and does not make much difference.
        > These problems could be caused by too much or not enough audio. I
        > again fiddled with the input levels, but could not come up with a
        > definitive answer.
        >
        > Thx.... Tom ve7did

      • ve7did
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
          What is the maximum audio the unit can tolerate before it won't decode
          properly? Is 400mv(rms) too much? If so, what is ideal?

          ...73 Tom

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
            I frequently test at 1 V p-p. It should start hard limiting at about 1.5v.

            ve7did wrote:

            > What is the maximum audio the unit can tolerate before it won't decode
            > properly? Is 400mv(rms) too much? If so, what is ideal?
            >
            > ...73 Tom

            > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The T2 needs at least a few mV of signal. The ACT LED blinks when the
            > > T2 thinks the channel is busy, based on whatever your carrier detect
            > > mode is - energy detect, software DCD, or external squelch. It'll
            > > decode packets whether the channel is 'busy' or not.
            > >
            > > Scott
            > >
            > > ve7did wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Been having erratic and intermittent operation of the unit when using
            > > > it in kiss mode. I have done some testing and a kpc3+ & a PK-96 work
            > > > flawlessly.
            > > >
            > > > Question I have is, what are the min & max receive signals on pin 5
            > > > which the tracker2 expects to see in order to operate properly?
            > > >
            > > > When the tracker2 does decode properly, I "assume" the ACT led comes
            > > > on slightly later to send the data to the computer. Is this correct?
            > > >
            > > > If so, occasionally (perhaps 20% of time) data is sent to the computer
            > > > WITHOUT the ACT led coming on. (I'm monitoring it with the listen
            > > > command in Linux).
            > > >
            > > > I have fiddled with the EQ jumper and does not make much difference.
            > > > These problems could be caused by too much or not enough audio. I
            > > > again fiddled with the input levels, but could not come up with a
            > > > definitive answer.
            > > >
            > > > Thx.... Tom ve7did

          • Jason Rausch
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
              A buddy of mine just bought a Tracker2 and I helped him get it
              working with UI-View in KISS mode. Problem is, it seems to drop out
              of KISS mode every day or so. He has to drop out of UI-View, fire up
              HyperTerminal and send it an AMODE KISS command to get it going again.

              Has anyone else seen this?

              Jason KE4NYV
              RPC Electronics
              www.rpc-electronics.com

              > I frequently test at 1 V p-p. It should start hard limiting at
              about 1.5v.

              > ve7did wrote:
              > >

              > > What is the maximum audio the unit can tolerate before it won't
              decode
              > > properly? Is 400mv(rms) too much? If so, what is ideal?
              > >
              > > ...73 Tom
              > >
              > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > The T2 needs at least a few mV of signal. The ACT LED blinks
              when the
              > > > T2 thinks the channel is busy, based on whatever your carrier
              detect
              > > > mode is - energy detect, software DCD, or external squelch.
              It'll
              > > > decode packets whether the channel is 'busy' or not.
              > > >
              > > > Scott

              PK-96 work

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2009
                Jason KE4NYV wrote...

                > A buddy of mine just bought a Tracker2 and I helped him get it working
                > with UI-View in KISS mode. Problem is, it seems to drop out of KISS
                > mode every day or so. He has to drop out of UI-View, fire up
                > HyperTerminal and send it an AMODE KISS command to get it going again.

                What does he have entered for the "into KISS" and "exit KISS" settings?
                I reliably use...

                Into KISS...
                ^C^C^C (or 003,003,003)
                INT 0^M^M
                AMODE KISS

                Exit KISS...
                003,003,003

                The INTERVAL 0 is just to stop the T2 (T2-135 in my case) from beaconing
                (most of the time... there seem to be some exceptions) and without the
                "exit KISS" settings, the com port would hang when I exited UI-View,
                requiring an "end task" to actually shut it down before I could start
                UI-View again or use the com port for something else.

                Are any of the settings in profile switching enabled? I would suspect
                this is the real problem.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH