FT-2600M

  • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

      Hello,

      Has anyone used the FT-2600M with opentracker successfully? If so, do you use the MIC input or the DB9 in the back (the one thats used for TNC)

      Thanks and 73

      Vicky Bagwalla

      VA3VJB

      blog: http://va3vjb.blogspot.com

      ==========================

    • sminke
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
> [...]
        >
        > cmd:send kb8num test
        > nothing is returned to Tera Term window
        > TX and ACT led flash red
        >
        > cmd:display
        > 1WIREWX OFF
        > ABAUD 4800
        > ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE 3:TEMP
        > ALTITUDE OFF
        > AMODE AUTO
        > AUTHLIST
        > AUTOBAUD OFF
        > AUTOSAVE OFF
        > BBAUD 4800
        > BMODE FLOW
        > CDINVERT OFF
        > CLIMB OFF
        > CNTRESET OFF
        > COMMENT
        > COMPRESS OFF
        > COUNTER OFF
        > CUSTSYM OFF
        > DAO OFF
        > DIGI ON
        > DIGIID 1:ON 2:ON 3:ON 4:ON 5:ON 6:ON 7:ON 8:ON
        > DUPETIME 30
        > EXTSQL OFF
        > FAHRENHT OFF
        > GPSDATA OFF
        > HBAUD 1200
        > HEADERLN OFF
        > HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0
        > INTERVAL 120
        > LVINHIBIT 0
        > MAXRANGE 0
        > MONITOR ON
        > MYCALL KB8NUM-8
        > NICE 0
        > OUTPUT1 OFF
        > POSITION GPS
        > POWER ON
        > PREEMPT 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
        > PTTINPUT OFF
        > PATH WIDE1-1
        > QUIET 16
        > REARM 250
        > RETRIES 6
        > RETRYTIME 7
        > REQALL OFF
        > RING OFF
        > SHAREDPTT OFF
        > SLOT 0
        > SMARTBCON OFF
        > SWDCD ON
        > STATUS 0
        > SYMBOL />
        > TELEMETRY OFF
        > TEMP OFF
        > TEMPADJ 0
        > TIMEHMS OFF
        > TIMESLOT OFF
        > TIMESTAMP ON
        > TXDELAY 25
        > TXLEVEL 255
        > TXNOFIX OFF
        > TXONCHG OFF
        > USEALIAS 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
        > VELOCITY ON
        > VOLTAGE OFF
        > WAYPOINTS ON
        > WPTLEN 9
        > nothing flashes on the T2
        >
        > cmd:info
        > OVF1:0 OVF2:0 PORT:0 EVQ:0600 BUF:00
        > TEMP:25C VOLT:7 RX:0 FCS:0 DIGI:0 CFG1
        > Nothing flashes on T2
        >
        > I'm I on the correct path of trouble shooting?
        > What am I missing? Are there more commands I should run?

        I've also noticed that none of the incoming messages get a date/time
        stamp on the nuvi. I do get a date/time stame when I send Version.
        the response gets no date/time stamp. messages in the outbox only
        say sending.

        /Scott
        KB8NUM
      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
          Scott KB8NUM wrote...

          > it was still in Garmin mode. So here is what happens in Tera Term
          >
          > cmd:amode auto
          > AMODE AUTO
          > nothing flashes on T2

          That would be normal. It didn't receive a signal. You didn't tell it to
          transmit. There isn't a GPS connected... or is there? I have a T2-135
          and not an OT2m.

          > cmd:beacon
          > BEACON
          > nothing flashes on T2

          I would consider that abnormal, but looking below, I see position is set
          to GPS. If you enter a position in POSITION, does BEACON cause it to
          beacon then? I just gave it a try here. With POSITION set to GPS,
          sending BEACON on the command line did not cause it to beacon. However
          when I entered a position, it did. That changes my comment to "normal".

          > cmd:send kb8num test
          > nothing is returned to Tera Term window
          > TX and ACT led flash red

          Sounds normal. If KB8NUM hears it, you should get an ACK to your APRS
          message. In the terminal program it would say "Message delivered".
          Looking at your settings below, it should try 6 times.

          > ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE 3:TEMP

          Of course, RELAY is obsolete in North America. as USEALIAS 1 is OFF, it
          won't cause any harm, but you could change it sometime... e.g.

          ALIAS 1 WIDE
          ALIAS 2 TEMP
          ALIAS 3 SAR
          ALIAS 4 FL

          That would over-write the RELAY that is in there now.
          Alternatively you could remove RELAY and not replace it...

          ALIAS 1 -

          > AUTHLIST

          You could put your own callsign in AUTHLIST so you could send remote
          commands to it...

          AUTHLIST +KB8NUM

          > COMMENT

          Optional, but you could put something like the following in...

          COMMENT T2 NUVI350

          > COMPRESS OFF

          Positions will be human readable with it OFF, but turning it ON will
          shorten the beacons a bit.

          > HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0

          The HOPLIMIT setting will only be meaningful if the digi is turned on...
          e.g. USEALIAS 1 ON but I would decide on which aliases to enter and
          enter reasonable hop limits ahead of time. One less thing to do if you
          decide to enable the digi aliases later.

          > POSITION GPS

          Try manually entering a position to see if BEACON will cause it to
          beacon.

          > REQALL OFF

          With it OFF, if any of the profile switching conditions are met, it will
          change profiles.

          > TXONCHG OFF

          I prefer it to transmit when changing profiles... i.e. ON

          > MAXRANGE 0
          > WAYPOINTS ON
          > WPTLEN 9

          When you have it back in GARMIN mode, the above will cause it to output
          received position reports as waypoints. You can decide if you want to
          limit the range later. With MAXRANGE set to zero, it will output all, no
          matter how far they are from you. I started out that way, but started
          putting small limits (20 km) when the Nuvi 350 couldn't store any more
          waypoints.

          > I'm I on the correct path of trouble shooting?
          > What am I missing? Are there more commands I should run?

          Actually, it sounds like it's working OK. Program it the way you want it
          to run and then just use it... e.g. you probably want to enable
          SmartBeaconing, but INT 120 is OK for testing. With everything set the
          way you want it, just put it back in GARMIN mode and connect the Nuvi
          350.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        • sminke
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

> [...]
            > received position reports as waypoints. You can decide if you want
            > limit the range later. With MAXRANGE set to zero, it will output
            all, no
            > matter how far they are from you. I started out that way, but
            started
            > putting small limits (20 km) when the Nuvi 350 couldn't store any
            more
            > waypoints.
            >
            > > I'm I on the correct path of trouble shooting?
            > > What am I missing? Are there more commands I should run?
            >
            > Actually, it sounds like it's working OK. Program it the way you
            want it
            > to run and then just use it... e.g. you probably want to enable
            > SmartBeaconing, but INT 120 is OK for testing. With everything set
            the
            > way you want it, just put it back in GARMIN mode and connect the

            Keith,
            Thanks - I'll keep plugging away. I appreciate the help. Maybe
            Scott can get this leve of detail into the next update of the
            manual. Then we can just say please read the manual...
            Seems like there are a lot of options, that have to be tried to make
            it function the way we expect.

            /Scott
            KB8NUM
          • Randy Love
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
              On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
              > Has anyone used the FT-2600M with opentracker successfully? If so, do you
              > use the MIC input or the DB9 in the back (the one thats used for TNC)

              Hi, Vicky.

              I have had really good success with my OT+ and an FT-2600M. For one
              public service event, we ran it on an ATV with a power pack and it
              worked great. I've also used it on trips in other people's vehicles
              and my second vehicle when I don't remember to put the voice rig back
              in it. :)

              I wired the OT+ to the FT-2600 DB9 since it provides power and makes
              for one less cable to mess with.
              The pinouts that I worked out for this combo are:

              Pin# - OT+/OT2m Function -> Pin # - FT-2600M Function
              1 - TX Audio 9 - TX1200
              3 - PTT 7 - PTT
              5 - RX Audio 4 - RX1200
              6 - Ground 5 - Ground
              7 - Power IN 12VDC 8 - DC out 5VDC

              A note here is that on my FT-2600, it says in the manual that pin 8
              has 5 VDC on it. According to the posit reports from the OT+, the
              actual voltage supplied on the pin is 8.8 VDC. Also, the 500ma current
              allowance is enough to power the OT+/OT2m and a gps puck.

              This is a great combination. I use this particular one as my 'We need
              a tracker on this (insert vehicle here) right now" setup since it's
              very simple to hook it up and go. It has worked so well, that I have
              just acquired 4 more used FT-2600M's to turn into reserve
              trackers/digipeaters. :)

              I prefer using the data jack because wiring it up to use the mic and
              speaker plugs makes the install much more 'messy' and requires that
              the volume knob be used. The audio levels out the back are sufficient,
              and are constant no matter what the volume knob setting.

              One note here... be sure to label the interface cable well. The
              OT2m/OT+ and the FT-2600M both accept a DB-9 Male connector... if
              hooked up backwards, there is the possibility of damage to the
              FT-2600M and/or the OT+/OT2m.

              Good luck and 73,
              Randy
              WF5X
            • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

                Hello Randy,

                Thank you VERY much for such a detailed email. Much appreciated. I am going to be hooking this up to a Nuvi 350. Hope that works out well. Any tips around that?

                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                  On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
                  > Thank you VERY much for such a detailed email. Much appreciated. I am going
                  > to be hooking this up to a Nuvi 350. Hope that works out well. Any tips
                  > around that?

                  No problem, Vicky.

                  I run a Nuvi360 / OT2m with an FT-8900 in my car as my full time APRS mobile.
                  The Tracker2/Nuvi combo is rather nice.

                  First off, download this excellent Nuvi 350 -> Tracker2 guide by Paul EI5GTB

                  http://www.paulsnet.org/nuviv1.pdf

                  Read it through to get an idea of what you will need to do and what
                  goodies will result from doing it!

                  The only two things that I can added that are not in Paul's .pdf are:
                  1. Set your MAXRANGE in the otconfig.exe to something reasonable, like
                  60 miles ( 100 km )
                  2. Periodically, do this:

                  Dispatch->Find Location->My Locations
                  and then press the Delete All button in the lower right hand corner.

                  This will clear out your ever growing collection of posits/waypoints
                  that the Nuvi will receive from the Tracker2. If you don't do this,
                  you will eventually get a message from the Nuvi saying "My Locations
                  Memory is Full". Doing the above procedure will cure the Nuvi's lack
                  of appetite.

                  If you haven't ordered your Tracker2 from Scott yet, be sure to order
                  the Garmin to Nuvi cable at the same time. Spend the extra $5 or so to
                  let Scott put the DB-9 on the cable for you. That way it is plug and
                  play once you get all the parts.. :) You will need the Garmin Garmin
                  010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable and select the DB-9 for a Tracker2 in
                  the dropdown on the order page.

                  Lastly, once you get it all up and going, go to the files section of
                  the group here, and download the Nuvi350/Tracker 2 cheatsheet and keep
                  on in your glovebox... Handy little guide that is too...

                  Good luck and have fun!
                  The Tracker2 and Nuvi combo is 'da bomb' as the kids say these days...

                  73,
                  Randy
                  WF5X
                • Vicky Bagwalla
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

                    I made all the connections today and it worked for a minute or so (then I had to turn it off as it was transmitting every 15 secs). When I re-programmed it to do it every 5 minutes I can see the TX and ACT lights … light up.. but the FT-2600 does not key up. I know it all worked because I tested it and it WAS transmitting. What could have gone wrong??

                    ============ ========= =====

                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

                      I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?

                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                        Vicky VA3VJB wrote...

                        > I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?

                        and

                        > I made all the connections today and it worked for a minute or so
                        > (then I had to turn it off as it was transmitting every 15 secs). When
                        > I re-programmed it to do it every 5 minutes I can see the TX and ACT
                        > lights light up.. but the FT-2600 does not key up. I know it all
                        > worked because I tested it and it WAS transmitting. What could have
                        > gone wrong??

                        I've read on here and in www.paulsnet.org/nuviv1.pdf that the T2 should
                        be turned on before the Nuvi 350. However, I've had equal success in
                        turning them on in any order and in disconnecting and reconnecting the
                        Nuvi 350.

                        I would suggest taking a step back and try and determine what is not
                        working. First, if it was transmitting every 15 seconds, why was it
                        doing that? Any chance RF was getting back into the T2, or was it a
                        programming problem? Looking at aprs.fi, I couldn't see any sign that
                        your T2 had made it to an IGate. Was the supply voltage good? Can you
                        reliably run otwincfg.exe and talk to the T2? Re the radio not actually
                        transmitting now... any chance there is an intermittent problem in the
                        radio cable? You could test that by disconnecting the radio from the T2
                        and manually grounding the PTT line and wiggling the cable to see if it
                        transmits continuously or intermittently.

                        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                      • Randy Love
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                          Vicky,

                          You say that you made the cable to spec.. I want to make sure you are
                          talking about the Ft-2600 to OT2 cable first.

                          If you look closely at either the front or the back of your DB-9
                          connector ( easier with a magnifying glass ), you should see small
                          numbers in the plastic beside/near each pin. These are the numbers
                          that I used to determine the pin outs between the OT2 and the FT-2600.
                          The DB-9 are made to a specification that requires the numbering.
                          Verify the hookup info that I send you against those numbers. On a
                          Male DB-9, they are indeed on the back of the connecter ( the side you
                          solder to ). Looking at the BACK of a DB-9 male, the pin order should
                          be:

                          5 4 3 2 1
                          9 8 7 6

                          From the looks of the pin listing you sent above, you may have had it
                          backwards. If you wire the DB-9 correctly, the OT2 will turn on and
                          off with the on/off switch of the FT-2600. Also, make sure the side
                          wired for the Ft-2600 is plugged into the Ft-2600 and the OT2 side to
                          the OT2.. The cable will not work if reversed.

                          Once you verify that the plugs are wired correctly, there is one
                          setting that you should check on the FT-2600M. Make sure that Menu
                          option 16 LCKTX is OFF. This is the radio's transmit inhibit option.

                          While you're in the menus, click on over to option 18 PCKT and set it
                          to OFF... this will turn the MIC off during packet transmissions.

                          First place to start would be the self made cable. Check, solder,
                          recheck, ( swear, remove oopsies, resolder, recheck ) ohm out, then
                          plug in the radio... I'm messed up my share of cables... comes with
                          the territory... :)

                          Let us know what else you find out.

                          73,
                          Randy
                          WF5X
                        • Randy Love
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                            Another note here..
                            The diagram you sent is correct for the solder side of a DB-9 FEMALE connector.

                            The pins are a mirror image of each other so that Pin 1 is Pin 1 when
                            a Male and Female are 'mated'.

                            So, the back side of a DB-9 Female is:

                            1 2 3 4 5
                            6 7 8 9

                            And the back side of a DB-9 Male is:

                            5 4 3 2 1
                            9 8 7 6

                            Randy
                            WF5X
                          • Jason KG4WSV
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                              On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

                              > The pins are a mirror image of each other so that Pin 1 is Pin 1 when
                              > a Male and Female are 'mated'.

                              I've screwed up enough of these that I should be able to remember the
                              pinout by now, but I always just shine a light into the end of the
                              connector. The pins are usually numbered down in there...

                              -Jason
                              kg4wsv
                            • t3@razzolink.com
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                                I was taught a trick a long time ago that has saved me much grief.

                                Mark the plastic next to Pin 1 with a magic marker.

                                Most of my connectors have white plastic insulators so the black dot
                                next to Pin 1 keeps me honest when wiring.

                                Whiteout might work for the black insulators.

                                T3

                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 6, 2009
                                  (Sorry everyone, I'm behind on email and trying to get caught up...)

                                  No, there's no particular combination required. Everything's supposed
                                  to tolerate being turned on in any order.

                                  Scott

                                  Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB wrote:

                                  > I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?
                                  >

                                  > Thanks and 73
                                  >

                                  > Vicky Bagwalla
                                  >
                                  > VA3VJB
                                  >
                                  > blog: http://va3vjb.blogspot.com
                                  >
                                  > ==========================

                                • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 14, 2009

                                    Hello Randy,

                                    I tried putting a voltmeter across the pins for 5 and 8 for the FT-2600 but do not detect any voltage. Any ideas?

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 16, 2009
                                      On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
                                      > I tried putting a voltmeter across the pins for 5 and 8 for the FT-2600 but
                                      > do not detect any voltage. Any ideas?

                                      Hi, Vicky.

                                      The power on pin 8 is switched on and off by the radio's power switch.
                                      If the radio is not powered on, there will be no voltage between pins
                                      8 and 5. Also, try between pin 8 and the case or chassis of the radio.

                                      One other thing, the current rating on this pin is only 50mA. It is
                                      possible that the current limiting could have been exceeded and the
                                      pin is now disabled. I don't have a schematic for the radio to check
                                      the circuit to see where else to check for the voltage.

                                      Looking at the back of the radio with the power cable on the upper
                                      side, the pin out is this...

                                      6 7 8 9
                                      1 2 3 4 5

                                      As always, double check the pins you are checking ( I sometimes triple
                                      and quadruple check myself... :)

                                      73,
                                      Randy
                                      WF5X