FT-2600M

  • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

      Hello,

      Has anyone used the FT-2600M with opentracker successfully? If so, do you use the MIC input or the DB9 in the back (the one thats used for TNC)

      Thanks and 73

      Vicky Bagwalla

      VA3VJB

      blog: http://va3vjb.blogspot.com

      ==========================

    • sminke
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

        > Scott KB8NUM wrote...
        >
        > > in Tera Term, I get garbage in the terminal window - never see
        > > command line.
        > > ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ
        > > What's going on?
        >
        > I would concur with Scott. It's probably in Garmin mode at 9600
        bps. I
        > see characters similar to that when mine is in Garmin mode and my
        > terminal program is set to 4800 bps. You will have to use
        otwincfg.exe
        > to take it out of Garmin mode... or if your Nuvi was talking to
        it, you
        > could probably send -AMODE AUTO to it from the Nuvi, but I haven't
        tried
        > that myself.
        >
        > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

        Keith,
        Thanks - it was still in garmin mode.
        so here is wat happens in Tera Term

        cmd:amode auto
        AMODE AUTO
        nothing flashes on T2

        cmd:beacon
        BEACON
        nothing flashes on T2

        cmd:send kb8num test
        nothing is returned to Tera Term window
        TX and ACT led flash red

        cmd:display
        1WIREWX OFF
        ABAUD 4800
        ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE 3:TEMP
        ALTITUDE OFF
        AMODE AUTO
        AUTHLIST
        AUTOBAUD OFF
        AUTOSAVE OFF
        BBAUD 4800
        BMODE FLOW
        CDINVERT OFF
        CLIMB OFF
        CNTRESET OFF
        COMMENT
        COMPRESS OFF
        COUNTER OFF
        CUSTSYM OFF
        DAO OFF
        DIGI ON
        DIGIID 1:ON 2:ON 3:ON 4:ON 5:ON 6:ON 7:ON 8:ON
        DUPETIME 30
        EXTSQL OFF
        FAHRENHT OFF
        GPSDATA OFF
        HBAUD 1200
        HEADERLN OFF
        HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0
        INTERVAL 120
        LVINHIBIT 0
        MAXRANGE 0
        MONITOR ON
        MYCALL KB8NUM-8
        NICE 0
        OUTPUT1 OFF
        POSITION GPS
        POWER ON
        PREEMPT 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
        PTTINPUT OFF
        PATH WIDE1-1
        QUIET 16
        REARM 250
        RETRIES 6
        RETRYTIME 7
        REQALL OFF
        RING OFF
        SHAREDPTT OFF
        SLOT 0
        SMARTBCON OFF
        SWDCD ON
        STATUS 0
        SYMBOL />
        TELEMETRY OFF
        TEMP OFF
        TEMPADJ 0
        TIMEHMS OFF
        TIMESLOT OFF
        TIMESTAMP ON
        TXDELAY 25
        TXLEVEL 255
        TXNOFIX OFF
        TXONCHG OFF
        USEALIAS 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
        VELOCITY ON
        VOLTAGE OFF
        WAYPOINTS ON
        WPTLEN 9
        nothing flashes on the T2

        cmd:info
        OVF1:0 OVF2:0 PORT:0 EVQ:0600 BUF:00
        TEMP:25C VOLT:7 RX:0 FCS:0 DIGI:0 CFG1
        Nothing flashes on T2

        I'm I on the correct path of trouble shooting?
        What am I missing? Are there more commands I should run?

        /Scott
        KB8NUM
      • sminke
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
> [...]
          >
          > cmd:send kb8num test
          > nothing is returned to Tera Term window
          > TX and ACT led flash red
          >
          > cmd:display
          > 1WIREWX OFF
          > ABAUD 4800
          > ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE 3:TEMP
          > ALTITUDE OFF
          > AMODE AUTO
          > AUTHLIST
          > AUTOBAUD OFF
          > AUTOSAVE OFF
          > BBAUD 4800
          > BMODE FLOW
          > CDINVERT OFF
          > CLIMB OFF
          > CNTRESET OFF
          > COMMENT
          > COMPRESS OFF
          > COUNTER OFF
          > CUSTSYM OFF
          > DAO OFF
          > DIGI ON
          > DIGIID 1:ON 2:ON 3:ON 4:ON 5:ON 6:ON 7:ON 8:ON
          > DUPETIME 30
          > EXTSQL OFF
          > FAHRENHT OFF
          > GPSDATA OFF
          > HBAUD 1200
          > HEADERLN OFF
          > HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0
          > INTERVAL 120
          > LVINHIBIT 0
          > MAXRANGE 0
          > MONITOR ON
          > MYCALL KB8NUM-8
          > NICE 0
          > OUTPUT1 OFF
          > POSITION GPS
          > POWER ON
          > PREEMPT 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
          > PTTINPUT OFF
          > PATH WIDE1-1
          > QUIET 16
          > REARM 250
          > RETRIES 6
          > RETRYTIME 7
          > REQALL OFF
          > RING OFF
          > SHAREDPTT OFF
          > SLOT 0
          > SMARTBCON OFF
          > SWDCD ON
          > STATUS 0
          > SYMBOL />
          > TELEMETRY OFF
          > TEMP OFF
          > TEMPADJ 0
          > TIMEHMS OFF
          > TIMESLOT OFF
          > TIMESTAMP ON
          > TXDELAY 25
          > TXLEVEL 255
          > TXNOFIX OFF
          > TXONCHG OFF
          > USEALIAS 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
          > VELOCITY ON
          > VOLTAGE OFF
          > WAYPOINTS ON
          > WPTLEN 9
          > nothing flashes on the T2
          >
          > cmd:info
          > OVF1:0 OVF2:0 PORT:0 EVQ:0600 BUF:00
          > TEMP:25C VOLT:7 RX:0 FCS:0 DIGI:0 CFG1
          > Nothing flashes on T2
          >
          > I'm I on the correct path of trouble shooting?
          > What am I missing? Are there more commands I should run?

          I've also noticed that none of the incoming messages get a date/time
          stamp on the nuvi. I do get a date/time stame when I send Version.
          the response gets no date/time stamp. messages in the outbox only
          say sending.

          /Scott
          KB8NUM
        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
            Scott KB8NUM wrote...

            > it was still in Garmin mode. So here is what happens in Tera Term
            >
            > cmd:amode auto
            > AMODE AUTO
            > nothing flashes on T2

            That would be normal. It didn't receive a signal. You didn't tell it to
            transmit. There isn't a GPS connected... or is there? I have a T2-135
            and not an OT2m.

            > cmd:beacon
            > BEACON
            > nothing flashes on T2

            I would consider that abnormal, but looking below, I see position is set
            to GPS. If you enter a position in POSITION, does BEACON cause it to
            beacon then? I just gave it a try here. With POSITION set to GPS,
            sending BEACON on the command line did not cause it to beacon. However
            when I entered a position, it did. That changes my comment to "normal".

            > cmd:send kb8num test
            > nothing is returned to Tera Term window
            > TX and ACT led flash red

            Sounds normal. If KB8NUM hears it, you should get an ACK to your APRS
            message. In the terminal program it would say "Message delivered".
            Looking at your settings below, it should try 6 times.

            > ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE 3:TEMP

            Of course, RELAY is obsolete in North America. as USEALIAS 1 is OFF, it
            won't cause any harm, but you could change it sometime... e.g.

            ALIAS 1 WIDE
            ALIAS 2 TEMP
            ALIAS 3 SAR
            ALIAS 4 FL

            That would over-write the RELAY that is in there now.
            Alternatively you could remove RELAY and not replace it...

            ALIAS 1 -

            > AUTHLIST

            You could put your own callsign in AUTHLIST so you could send remote
            commands to it...

            AUTHLIST +KB8NUM

            > COMMENT

            Optional, but you could put something like the following in...

            COMMENT T2 NUVI350

            > COMPRESS OFF

            Positions will be human readable with it OFF, but turning it ON will
            shorten the beacons a bit.

            > HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0

            The HOPLIMIT setting will only be meaningful if the digi is turned on...
            e.g. USEALIAS 1 ON but I would decide on which aliases to enter and
            enter reasonable hop limits ahead of time. One less thing to do if you
            decide to enable the digi aliases later.

            > POSITION GPS

            Try manually entering a position to see if BEACON will cause it to
            beacon.

            > REQALL OFF

            With it OFF, if any of the profile switching conditions are met, it will
            change profiles.

            > TXONCHG OFF

            I prefer it to transmit when changing profiles... i.e. ON

            > MAXRANGE 0
            > WAYPOINTS ON
            > WPTLEN 9

            When you have it back in GARMIN mode, the above will cause it to output
            received position reports as waypoints. You can decide if you want to
            limit the range later. With MAXRANGE set to zero, it will output all, no
            matter how far they are from you. I started out that way, but started
            putting small limits (20 km) when the Nuvi 350 couldn't store any more
            waypoints.

            > I'm I on the correct path of trouble shooting?
            > What am I missing? Are there more commands I should run?

            Actually, it sounds like it's working OK. Program it the way you want it
            to run and then just use it... e.g. you probably want to enable
            SmartBeaconing, but INT 120 is OK for testing. With everything set the
            way you want it, just put it back in GARMIN mode and connect the Nuvi
            350.

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          • sminke
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

> [...]
              > received position reports as waypoints. You can decide if you want
              > limit the range later. With MAXRANGE set to zero, it will output
              all, no
              > matter how far they are from you. I started out that way, but
              started
              > putting small limits (20 km) when the Nuvi 350 couldn't store any
              more
              > waypoints.
              >
              > > I'm I on the correct path of trouble shooting?
              > > What am I missing? Are there more commands I should run?
              >
              > Actually, it sounds like it's working OK. Program it the way you
              want it
              > to run and then just use it... e.g. you probably want to enable
              > SmartBeaconing, but INT 120 is OK for testing. With everything set
              the
              > way you want it, just put it back in GARMIN mode and connect the

              Keith,
              Thanks - I'll keep plugging away. I appreciate the help. Maybe
              Scott can get this leve of detail into the next update of the
              manual. Then we can just say please read the manual...
              Seems like there are a lot of options, that have to be tried to make
              it function the way we expect.

              /Scott
              KB8NUM
            • Randy Love
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
                On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
                > Has anyone used the FT-2600M with opentracker successfully? If so, do you
                > use the MIC input or the DB9 in the back (the one thats used for TNC)

                Hi, Vicky.

                I have had really good success with my OT+ and an FT-2600M. For one
                public service event, we ran it on an ATV with a power pack and it
                worked great. I've also used it on trips in other people's vehicles
                and my second vehicle when I don't remember to put the voice rig back
                in it. :)

                I wired the OT+ to the FT-2600 DB9 since it provides power and makes
                for one less cable to mess with.
                The pinouts that I worked out for this combo are:

                Pin# - OT+/OT2m Function -> Pin # - FT-2600M Function
                1 - TX Audio 9 - TX1200
                3 - PTT 7 - PTT
                5 - RX Audio 4 - RX1200
                6 - Ground 5 - Ground
                7 - Power IN 12VDC 8 - DC out 5VDC

                A note here is that on my FT-2600, it says in the manual that pin 8
                has 5 VDC on it. According to the posit reports from the OT+, the
                actual voltage supplied on the pin is 8.8 VDC. Also, the 500ma current
                allowance is enough to power the OT+/OT2m and a gps puck.

                This is a great combination. I use this particular one as my 'We need
                a tracker on this (insert vehicle here) right now" setup since it's
                very simple to hook it up and go. It has worked so well, that I have
                just acquired 4 more used FT-2600M's to turn into reserve
                trackers/digipeaters. :)

                I prefer using the data jack because wiring it up to use the mic and
                speaker plugs makes the install much more 'messy' and requires that
                the volume knob be used. The audio levels out the back are sufficient,
                and are constant no matter what the volume knob setting.

                One note here... be sure to label the interface cable well. The
                OT2m/OT+ and the FT-2600M both accept a DB-9 Male connector... if
                hooked up backwards, there is the possibility of damage to the
                FT-2600M and/or the OT+/OT2m.

                Good luck and 73,
                Randy
                WF5X
              • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

                  Hello Randy,

                  Thank you VERY much for such a detailed email. Much appreciated. I am going to be hooking this up to a Nuvi 350. Hope that works out well. Any tips around that?

                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                    On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
                    > Thank you VERY much for such a detailed email. Much appreciated. I am going
                    > to be hooking this up to a Nuvi 350. Hope that works out well. Any tips
                    > around that?

                    No problem, Vicky.

                    I run a Nuvi360 / OT2m with an FT-8900 in my car as my full time APRS mobile.
                    The Tracker2/Nuvi combo is rather nice.

                    First off, download this excellent Nuvi 350 -> Tracker2 guide by Paul EI5GTB

                    http://www.paulsnet.org/nuviv1.pdf

                    Read it through to get an idea of what you will need to do and what
                    goodies will result from doing it!

                    The only two things that I can added that are not in Paul's .pdf are:
                    1. Set your MAXRANGE in the otconfig.exe to something reasonable, like
                    60 miles ( 100 km )
                    2. Periodically, do this:

                    Dispatch->Find Location->My Locations
                    and then press the Delete All button in the lower right hand corner.

                    This will clear out your ever growing collection of posits/waypoints
                    that the Nuvi will receive from the Tracker2. If you don't do this,
                    you will eventually get a message from the Nuvi saying "My Locations
                    Memory is Full". Doing the above procedure will cure the Nuvi's lack
                    of appetite.

                    If you haven't ordered your Tracker2 from Scott yet, be sure to order
                    the Garmin to Nuvi cable at the same time. Spend the extra $5 or so to
                    let Scott put the DB-9 on the cable for you. That way it is plug and
                    play once you get all the parts.. :) You will need the Garmin Garmin
                    010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable and select the DB-9 for a Tracker2 in
                    the dropdown on the order page.

                    Lastly, once you get it all up and going, go to the files section of
                    the group here, and download the Nuvi350/Tracker 2 cheatsheet and keep
                    on in your glovebox... Handy little guide that is too...

                    Good luck and have fun!
                    The Tracker2 and Nuvi combo is 'da bomb' as the kids say these days...

                    73,
                    Randy
                    WF5X
                  • Vicky Bagwalla
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

                      I made all the connections today and it worked for a minute or so (then I had to turn it off as it was transmitting every 15 secs). When I re-programmed it to do it every 5 minutes I can see the TX and ACT lights … light up.. but the FT-2600 does not key up. I know it all worked because I tested it and it WAS transmitting. What could have gone wrong??

                      ============ ========= =====

                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

                        I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?

                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                          Vicky VA3VJB wrote...

                          > I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?

                          and

                          > I made all the connections today and it worked for a minute or so
                          > (then I had to turn it off as it was transmitting every 15 secs). When
                          > I re-programmed it to do it every 5 minutes I can see the TX and ACT
                          > lights light up.. but the FT-2600 does not key up. I know it all
                          > worked because I tested it and it WAS transmitting. What could have
                          > gone wrong??

                          I've read on here and in www.paulsnet.org/nuviv1.pdf that the T2 should
                          be turned on before the Nuvi 350. However, I've had equal success in
                          turning them on in any order and in disconnecting and reconnecting the
                          Nuvi 350.

                          I would suggest taking a step back and try and determine what is not
                          working. First, if it was transmitting every 15 seconds, why was it
                          doing that? Any chance RF was getting back into the T2, or was it a
                          programming problem? Looking at aprs.fi, I couldn't see any sign that
                          your T2 had made it to an IGate. Was the supply voltage good? Can you
                          reliably run otwincfg.exe and talk to the T2? Re the radio not actually
                          transmitting now... any chance there is an intermittent problem in the
                          radio cable? You could test that by disconnecting the radio from the T2
                          and manually grounding the PTT line and wiggling the cable to see if it
                          transmits continuously or intermittently.

                          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                        • Randy Love
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                            Vicky,

                            You say that you made the cable to spec.. I want to make sure you are
                            talking about the Ft-2600 to OT2 cable first.

                            If you look closely at either the front or the back of your DB-9
                            connector ( easier with a magnifying glass ), you should see small
                            numbers in the plastic beside/near each pin. These are the numbers
                            that I used to determine the pin outs between the OT2 and the FT-2600.
                            The DB-9 are made to a specification that requires the numbering.
                            Verify the hookup info that I send you against those numbers. On a
                            Male DB-9, they are indeed on the back of the connecter ( the side you
                            solder to ). Looking at the BACK of a DB-9 male, the pin order should
                            be:

                            5 4 3 2 1
                            9 8 7 6

                            From the looks of the pin listing you sent above, you may have had it
                            backwards. If you wire the DB-9 correctly, the OT2 will turn on and
                            off with the on/off switch of the FT-2600. Also, make sure the side
                            wired for the Ft-2600 is plugged into the Ft-2600 and the OT2 side to
                            the OT2.. The cable will not work if reversed.

                            Once you verify that the plugs are wired correctly, there is one
                            setting that you should check on the FT-2600M. Make sure that Menu
                            option 16 LCKTX is OFF. This is the radio's transmit inhibit option.

                            While you're in the menus, click on over to option 18 PCKT and set it
                            to OFF... this will turn the MIC off during packet transmissions.

                            First place to start would be the self made cable. Check, solder,
                            recheck, ( swear, remove oopsies, resolder, recheck ) ohm out, then
                            plug in the radio... I'm messed up my share of cables... comes with
                            the territory... :)

                            Let us know what else you find out.

                            73,
                            Randy
                            WF5X
                          • Randy Love
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                              Another note here..
                              The diagram you sent is correct for the solder side of a DB-9 FEMALE connector.

                              The pins are a mirror image of each other so that Pin 1 is Pin 1 when
                              a Male and Female are 'mated'.

                              So, the back side of a DB-9 Female is:

                              1 2 3 4 5
                              6 7 8 9

                              And the back side of a DB-9 Male is:

                              5 4 3 2 1
                              9 8 7 6

                              Randy
                              WF5X
                            • Jason KG4WSV
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                                On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

                                > The pins are a mirror image of each other so that Pin 1 is Pin 1 when
                                > a Male and Female are 'mated'.

                                I've screwed up enough of these that I should be able to remember the
                                pinout by now, but I always just shine a light into the end of the
                                connector. The pins are usually numbered down in there...

                                -Jason
                                kg4wsv
                              • t3@razzolink.com
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                                  I was taught a trick a long time ago that has saved me much grief.

                                  Mark the plastic next to Pin 1 with a magic marker.

                                  Most of my connectors have white plastic insulators so the black dot
                                  next to Pin 1 keeps me honest when wiring.

                                  Whiteout might work for the black insulators.

                                  T3

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 6, 2009
                                    (Sorry everyone, I'm behind on email and trying to get caught up...)

                                    No, there's no particular combination required. Everything's supposed
                                    to tolerate being turned on in any order.

                                    Scott

                                    Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB wrote:

                                    > I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?
                                    >

                                    > Thanks and 73
                                    >

                                    > Vicky Bagwalla
                                    >
                                    > VA3VJB
                                    >
                                    > blog: http://va3vjb.blogspot.com
                                    >
                                    > ==========================

                                  • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 14, 2009

                                      Hello Randy,

                                      I tried putting a voltmeter across the pins for 5 and 8 for the FT-2600 but do not detect any voltage. Any ideas?

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 16, 2009
                                        On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
                                        > I tried putting a voltmeter across the pins for 5 and 8 for the FT-2600 but
                                        > do not detect any voltage. Any ideas?

                                        Hi, Vicky.

                                        The power on pin 8 is switched on and off by the radio's power switch.
                                        If the radio is not powered on, there will be no voltage between pins
                                        8 and 5. Also, try between pin 8 and the case or chassis of the radio.

                                        One other thing, the current rating on this pin is only 50mA. It is
                                        possible that the current limiting could have been exceeded and the
                                        pin is now disabled. I don't have a schematic for the radio to check
                                        the circuit to see where else to check for the voltage.

                                        Looking at the back of the radio with the power cable on the upper
                                        side, the pin out is this...

                                        6 7 8 9
                                        1 2 3 4 5

                                        As always, double check the pins you are checking ( I sometimes triple
                                        and quadruple check myself... :)

                                        73,
                                        Randy
                                        WF5X