Nuvi 350 messages stuck in outbox

  • sminke
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 28, 2009
      Tracker2 Build 54680
      Nuvi 350 software version 6.00

      I receive messages fine.

      When I send --version
      I get a message :Tracker2 Build 54680

      When I send -KB8NUM test
      I don't see the radio or the tracker indicating a transmit.

      I tried the devopmental build - none of the functions worked. Did a
      reset and software reload on both tracker and nuvi.

      Any ideas?

      /Scott
      KB8NUM
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 28, 2009
        Scott KB8NUM wrote...

        > Tracker2 Build 54680
        > Nuvi 350 software version 6.00
        >
        > I receive messages fine.
        >
        > When I send --version
        > I get a message :Tracker2 Build 54680
        >
        > When I send -KB8NUM test
        > I don't see the radio or the tracker indicating a transmit.
        >
        > I tried the development build - none of the functions worked. Did a
        > reset and software reload on both tracker and nuvi.

        I wonder if you have a cable or jumper problem? Set it to AMODE AUTO
        again and fire up a terminal program and see if BEACON will force it to
        transmit... or SEND <CALLSIGN> TEXT... However a cable problem
        wouldn't explain why you don't see the TX LED coming on.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 28, 2009
          Does the SEND command work from the command line?

          Scott

          sminke wrote:

          > Tracker2 Build 54680
          > Nuvi 350 software version 6.00
          >
          > I receive messages fine.
          >
          > When I send --version
          > I get a message :Tracker2 Build 54680
          >
          > When I send -KB8NUM test
          > I don't see the radio or the tracker indicating a transmit.
          >
          > I tried the devopmental build - none of the functions worked. Did a
          > reset and software reload on both tracker and nuvi.
          >
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > /Scott
          > KB8NUM

        • sminke
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 29, 2009
            Scott,
            I'd need some guidance on how to do command lines. I'm assuming
            that I hook it back up to the computer as I did when I re-loaded the
            firmware. I'm willing to give it a try.

            /Scott
            KB8NUM

            > Does the SEND command work from the command line?
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > sminke wrote:
            > >

            > > Tracker2 Build 54680
            > > Nuvi 350 software version 6.00
            > >
            > > I receive messages fine.
            > >
            > > When I send --version
            > > I get a message :Tracker2 Build 54680
            > >
            > > When I send -KB8NUM test
            > > I don't see the radio or the tracker indicating a transmit.
            > >
            > > I tried the devopmental build - none of the functions worked. Did
            > > reset and software reload on both tracker and nuvi.
            > >
            > > Any ideas?
            > >
            > > /Scott
            > > KB8NUM

          • sminke
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 29, 2009
              Keith,
              Willing to give anything a try..
              Can I send the AMODE AUTO command from the Nuvi? Still learning this
              thing.

              /Scott
              KB8NUM

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 29, 2009
                If you've got the Garmin on port A, you can send AMODE AUTO, but then
                you can't get it back to Garmin mode without a PC.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 29, 2009
                  Right, null modem cable just like for configuration.

                  Scott

                  sminke wrote:

                  > Scott,
                  > I'd need some guidance on how to do command lines. I'm assuming
                  > that I hook it back up to the computer as I did when I re-loaded the
                  > firmware. I'm willing to give it a try.
                  >
                  > /Scott
                  > KB8NUM

                  > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Does the SEND command work from the command line?
                  > >
                  > > Scott
                  > >
                  > > sminke wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Tracker2 Build 54680
                  > > > Nuvi 350 software version 6.00
                  > > >
                  > > > I receive messages fine.
                  > > >
                  > > > When I send --version
                  > > > I get a message :Tracker2 Build 54680
                  > > >
                  > > > When I send -KB8NUM test
                  > > > I don't see the radio or the tracker indicating a transmit.
                  > > >
                  > > > I tried the devopmental build - none of the functions worked. Did
                  > > > reset and software reload on both tracker and nuvi.
                  > > >
                  > > > Any ideas?
                  > > >
                  > > > /Scott
                  > > > KB8NUM

                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 29, 2009
                    Scott KB8NUM wrote...

                    > I'd need some guidance on how to do command lines. I'm assuming that
                    > I hook it back up to the computer as I did when I re-loaded the
                    > firmware. I'm willing to give it a try.

                    Connect the T2 with a null modem adapter or cable and fire up a terminal
                    program. Tera Tera Pro http://ttssh2.sourceforge.jp is a pretty good
                    one. When you have a command prompt, just type SEND <callsign> message
                    and hit enter and see if it transmits. Also BEACON. You can of course
                    type DISPLAY to get it to list all of the settings.

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  • sminke
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 31, 2009

                      > Scott KB8NUM wrote...
                      >
                      > > I'd need some guidance on how to do command lines. I'm assuming
                      that
                      > > I hook it back up to the computer as I did when I re-loaded the
                      > > firmware. I'm willing to give it a try.
                      >
                      > Connect the T2 with a null modem adapter or cable and fire up a
                      terminal
                      > program. Tera Tera Pro http://ttssh2.sourceforge.jp is a pretty
                      good
                      > one. When you have a command prompt, just type SEND <callsign>
                      message
                      > and hit enter and see if it transmits. Also BEACON. You can of
                      course
                      > type DISPLAY to get it to list all of the settings.
                      >
                      > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                      Keith,
                      in Tera Term, I get garbage in the terminal window - never see a
                      command line.

                      ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]
                      þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%
                      ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%
                      ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þþþþ¡%
                      ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%
                      ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ

                      What's going on?

                      /Scott
                      KB8NUM
                    • Keith VE7GDH
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 31, 2009
                        Scott KB8NUM wrote...

                        > in Tera Term, I get garbage in the terminal window - never see a
                        > command line.
                        > ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ
                        > What's going on?

                        I would concur with Scott. It's probably in Garmin mode at 9600 bps. I
                        see characters similar to that when mine is in Garmin mode and my
                        terminal program is set to 4800 bps. You will have to use otwincfg.exe
                        to take it out of Garmin mode... or if your Nuvi was talking to it, you
                        could probably send -AMODE AUTO to it from the Nuvi, but I haven't tried
                        that myself.

                        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                      • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

                          Hello,

                          Has anyone used the FT-2600M with opentracker successfully? If so, do you use the MIC input or the DB9 in the back (the one thats used for TNC)

                          Thanks and 73

                          Vicky Bagwalla

                          VA3VJB

                          blog: http://va3vjb.blogspot.com

                          ==========================

                        • sminke
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

                            > Scott KB8NUM wrote...
                            >
                            > > in Tera Term, I get garbage in the terminal window - never see
                            > > command line.
                            > > ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ¡%ÿÿÿÿ8þ¡]þ
                            > > What's going on?
                            >
                            > I would concur with Scott. It's probably in Garmin mode at 9600
                            bps. I
                            > see characters similar to that when mine is in Garmin mode and my
                            > terminal program is set to 4800 bps. You will have to use
                            otwincfg.exe
                            > to take it out of Garmin mode... or if your Nuvi was talking to
                            it, you
                            > could probably send -AMODE AUTO to it from the Nuvi, but I haven't
                            tried
                            > that myself.
                            >
                            > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                            Keith,
                            Thanks - it was still in garmin mode.
                            so here is wat happens in Tera Term

                            cmd:amode auto
                            AMODE AUTO
                            nothing flashes on T2

                            cmd:beacon
                            BEACON
                            nothing flashes on T2

                            cmd:send kb8num test
                            nothing is returned to Tera Term window
                            TX and ACT led flash red

                            cmd:display
                            1WIREWX OFF
                            ABAUD 4800
                            ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE 3:TEMP
                            ALTITUDE OFF
                            AMODE AUTO
                            AUTHLIST
                            AUTOBAUD OFF
                            AUTOSAVE OFF
                            BBAUD 4800
                            BMODE FLOW
                            CDINVERT OFF
                            CLIMB OFF
                            CNTRESET OFF
                            COMMENT
                            COMPRESS OFF
                            COUNTER OFF
                            CUSTSYM OFF
                            DAO OFF
                            DIGI ON
                            DIGIID 1:ON 2:ON 3:ON 4:ON 5:ON 6:ON 7:ON 8:ON
                            DUPETIME 30
                            EXTSQL OFF
                            FAHRENHT OFF
                            GPSDATA OFF
                            HBAUD 1200
                            HEADERLN OFF
                            HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0
                            INTERVAL 120
                            LVINHIBIT 0
                            MAXRANGE 0
                            MONITOR ON
                            MYCALL KB8NUM-8
                            NICE 0
                            OUTPUT1 OFF
                            POSITION GPS
                            POWER ON
                            PREEMPT 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                            PTTINPUT OFF
                            PATH WIDE1-1
                            QUIET 16
                            REARM 250
                            RETRIES 6
                            RETRYTIME 7
                            REQALL OFF
                            RING OFF
                            SHAREDPTT OFF
                            SLOT 0
                            SMARTBCON OFF
                            SWDCD ON
                            STATUS 0
                            SYMBOL />
                            TELEMETRY OFF
                            TEMP OFF
                            TEMPADJ 0
                            TIMEHMS OFF
                            TIMESLOT OFF
                            TIMESTAMP ON
                            TXDELAY 25
                            TXLEVEL 255
                            TXNOFIX OFF
                            TXONCHG OFF
                            USEALIAS 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                            VELOCITY ON
                            VOLTAGE OFF
                            WAYPOINTS ON
                            WPTLEN 9
                            nothing flashes on the T2

                            cmd:info
                            OVF1:0 OVF2:0 PORT:0 EVQ:0600 BUF:00
                            TEMP:25C VOLT:7 RX:0 FCS:0 DIGI:0 CFG1
                            Nothing flashes on T2

                            I'm I on the correct path of trouble shooting?
                            What am I missing? Are there more commands I should run?

                            /Scott
                            KB8NUM
                          • sminke
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
> [...]
                              >
                              > cmd:send kb8num test
                              > nothing is returned to Tera Term window
                              > TX and ACT led flash red
                              >
                              > cmd:display
                              > 1WIREWX OFF
                              > ABAUD 4800
                              > ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE 3:TEMP
                              > ALTITUDE OFF
                              > AMODE AUTO
                              > AUTHLIST
                              > AUTOBAUD OFF
                              > AUTOSAVE OFF
                              > BBAUD 4800
                              > BMODE FLOW
                              > CDINVERT OFF
                              > CLIMB OFF
                              > CNTRESET OFF
                              > COMMENT
                              > COMPRESS OFF
                              > COUNTER OFF
                              > CUSTSYM OFF
                              > DAO OFF
                              > DIGI ON
                              > DIGIID 1:ON 2:ON 3:ON 4:ON 5:ON 6:ON 7:ON 8:ON
                              > DUPETIME 30
                              > EXTSQL OFF
                              > FAHRENHT OFF
                              > GPSDATA OFF
                              > HBAUD 1200
                              > HEADERLN OFF
                              > HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0
                              > INTERVAL 120
                              > LVINHIBIT 0
                              > MAXRANGE 0
                              > MONITOR ON
                              > MYCALL KB8NUM-8
                              > NICE 0
                              > OUTPUT1 OFF
                              > POSITION GPS
                              > POWER ON
                              > PREEMPT 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                              > PTTINPUT OFF
                              > PATH WIDE1-1
                              > QUIET 16
                              > REARM 250
                              > RETRIES 6
                              > RETRYTIME 7
                              > REQALL OFF
                              > RING OFF
                              > SHAREDPTT OFF
                              > SLOT 0
                              > SMARTBCON OFF
                              > SWDCD ON
                              > STATUS 0
                              > SYMBOL />
                              > TELEMETRY OFF
                              > TEMP OFF
                              > TEMPADJ 0
                              > TIMEHMS OFF
                              > TIMESLOT OFF
                              > TIMESTAMP ON
                              > TXDELAY 25
                              > TXLEVEL 255
                              > TXNOFIX OFF
                              > TXONCHG OFF
                              > USEALIAS 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
                              > VELOCITY ON
                              > VOLTAGE OFF
                              > WAYPOINTS ON
                              > WPTLEN 9
                              > nothing flashes on the T2
                              >
                              > cmd:info
                              > OVF1:0 OVF2:0 PORT:0 EVQ:0600 BUF:00
                              > TEMP:25C VOLT:7 RX:0 FCS:0 DIGI:0 CFG1
                              > Nothing flashes on T2
                              >
                              > I'm I on the correct path of trouble shooting?
                              > What am I missing? Are there more commands I should run?

                              I've also noticed that none of the incoming messages get a date/time
                              stamp on the nuvi. I do get a date/time stame when I send Version.
                              the response gets no date/time stamp. messages in the outbox only
                              say sending.

                              /Scott
                              KB8NUM
                            • Keith VE7GDH
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
                                Scott KB8NUM wrote...

                                > it was still in Garmin mode. So here is what happens in Tera Term
                                >
                                > cmd:amode auto
                                > AMODE AUTO
                                > nothing flashes on T2

                                That would be normal. It didn't receive a signal. You didn't tell it to
                                transmit. There isn't a GPS connected... or is there? I have a T2-135
                                and not an OT2m.

                                > cmd:beacon
                                > BEACON
                                > nothing flashes on T2

                                I would consider that abnormal, but looking below, I see position is set
                                to GPS. If you enter a position in POSITION, does BEACON cause it to
                                beacon then? I just gave it a try here. With POSITION set to GPS,
                                sending BEACON on the command line did not cause it to beacon. However
                                when I entered a position, it did. That changes my comment to "normal".

                                > cmd:send kb8num test
                                > nothing is returned to Tera Term window
                                > TX and ACT led flash red

                                Sounds normal. If KB8NUM hears it, you should get an ACK to your APRS
                                message. In the terminal program it would say "Message delivered".
                                Looking at your settings below, it should try 6 times.

                                > ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE 3:TEMP

                                Of course, RELAY is obsolete in North America. as USEALIAS 1 is OFF, it
                                won't cause any harm, but you could change it sometime... e.g.

                                ALIAS 1 WIDE
                                ALIAS 2 TEMP
                                ALIAS 3 SAR
                                ALIAS 4 FL

                                That would over-write the RELAY that is in there now.
                                Alternatively you could remove RELAY and not replace it...

                                ALIAS 1 -

                                > AUTHLIST

                                You could put your own callsign in AUTHLIST so you could send remote
                                commands to it...

                                AUTHLIST +KB8NUM

                                > COMMENT

                                Optional, but you could put something like the following in...

                                COMMENT T2 NUVI350

                                > COMPRESS OFF

                                Positions will be human readable with it OFF, but turning it ON will
                                shorten the beacons a bit.

                                > HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0

                                The HOPLIMIT setting will only be meaningful if the digi is turned on...
                                e.g. USEALIAS 1 ON but I would decide on which aliases to enter and
                                enter reasonable hop limits ahead of time. One less thing to do if you
                                decide to enable the digi aliases later.

                                > POSITION GPS

                                Try manually entering a position to see if BEACON will cause it to
                                beacon.

                                > REQALL OFF

                                With it OFF, if any of the profile switching conditions are met, it will
                                change profiles.

                                > TXONCHG OFF

                                I prefer it to transmit when changing profiles... i.e. ON

                                > MAXRANGE 0
                                > WAYPOINTS ON
                                > WPTLEN 9

                                When you have it back in GARMIN mode, the above will cause it to output
                                received position reports as waypoints. You can decide if you want to
                                limit the range later. With MAXRANGE set to zero, it will output all, no
                                matter how far they are from you. I started out that way, but started
                                putting small limits (20 km) when the Nuvi 350 couldn't store any more
                                waypoints.

                                > I'm I on the correct path of trouble shooting?
                                > What am I missing? Are there more commands I should run?

                                Actually, it sounds like it's working OK. Program it the way you want it
                                to run and then just use it... e.g. you probably want to enable
                                SmartBeaconing, but INT 120 is OK for testing. With everything set the
                                way you want it, just put it back in GARMIN mode and connect the Nuvi
                                350.

                                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                              • sminke
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009

> [...]
                                  > received position reports as waypoints. You can decide if you want
                                  > limit the range later. With MAXRANGE set to zero, it will output
                                  all, no
                                  > matter how far they are from you. I started out that way, but
                                  started
                                  > putting small limits (20 km) when the Nuvi 350 couldn't store any
                                  more
                                  > waypoints.
                                  >
                                  > > I'm I on the correct path of trouble shooting?
                                  > > What am I missing? Are there more commands I should run?
                                  >
                                  > Actually, it sounds like it's working OK. Program it the way you
                                  want it
                                  > to run and then just use it... e.g. you probably want to enable
                                  > SmartBeaconing, but INT 120 is OK for testing. With everything set
                                  the
                                  > way you want it, just put it back in GARMIN mode and connect the

                                  Keith,
                                  Thanks - I'll keep plugging away. I appreciate the help. Maybe
                                  Scott can get this leve of detail into the next update of the
                                  manual. Then we can just say please read the manual...
                                  Seems like there are a lot of options, that have to be tried to make
                                  it function the way we expect.

                                  /Scott
                                  KB8NUM
                                • Randy Love
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 1, 2009
                                    On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
                                    > Has anyone used the FT-2600M with opentracker successfully? If so, do you
                                    > use the MIC input or the DB9 in the back (the one thats used for TNC)

                                    Hi, Vicky.

                                    I have had really good success with my OT+ and an FT-2600M. For one
                                    public service event, we ran it on an ATV with a power pack and it
                                    worked great. I've also used it on trips in other people's vehicles
                                    and my second vehicle when I don't remember to put the voice rig back
                                    in it. :)

                                    I wired the OT+ to the FT-2600 DB9 since it provides power and makes
                                    for one less cable to mess with.
                                    The pinouts that I worked out for this combo are:

                                    Pin# - OT+/OT2m Function -> Pin # - FT-2600M Function
                                    1 - TX Audio 9 - TX1200
                                    3 - PTT 7 - PTT
                                    5 - RX Audio 4 - RX1200
                                    6 - Ground 5 - Ground
                                    7 - Power IN 12VDC 8 - DC out 5VDC

                                    A note here is that on my FT-2600, it says in the manual that pin 8
                                    has 5 VDC on it. According to the posit reports from the OT+, the
                                    actual voltage supplied on the pin is 8.8 VDC. Also, the 500ma current
                                    allowance is enough to power the OT+/OT2m and a gps puck.

                                    This is a great combination. I use this particular one as my 'We need
                                    a tracker on this (insert vehicle here) right now" setup since it's
                                    very simple to hook it up and go. It has worked so well, that I have
                                    just acquired 4 more used FT-2600M's to turn into reserve
                                    trackers/digipeaters. :)

                                    I prefer using the data jack because wiring it up to use the mic and
                                    speaker plugs makes the install much more 'messy' and requires that
                                    the volume knob be used. The audio levels out the back are sufficient,
                                    and are constant no matter what the volume knob setting.

                                    One note here... be sure to label the interface cable well. The
                                    OT2m/OT+ and the FT-2600M both accept a DB-9 Male connector... if
                                    hooked up backwards, there is the possibility of damage to the
                                    FT-2600M and/or the OT+/OT2m.

                                    Good luck and 73,
                                    Randy
                                    WF5X
                                  • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

                                      Hello Randy,

                                      Thank you VERY much for such a detailed email. Much appreciated. I am going to be hooking this up to a Nuvi 350. Hope that works out well. Any tips around that?

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                                        On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
                                        > Thank you VERY much for such a detailed email. Much appreciated. I am going
                                        > to be hooking this up to a Nuvi 350. Hope that works out well. Any tips
                                        > around that?

                                        No problem, Vicky.

                                        I run a Nuvi360 / OT2m with an FT-8900 in my car as my full time APRS mobile.
                                        The Tracker2/Nuvi combo is rather nice.

                                        First off, download this excellent Nuvi 350 -> Tracker2 guide by Paul EI5GTB

                                        http://www.paulsnet.org/nuviv1.pdf

                                        Read it through to get an idea of what you will need to do and what
                                        goodies will result from doing it!

                                        The only two things that I can added that are not in Paul's .pdf are:
                                        1. Set your MAXRANGE in the otconfig.exe to something reasonable, like
                                        60 miles ( 100 km )
                                        2. Periodically, do this:

                                        Dispatch->Find Location->My Locations
                                        and then press the Delete All button in the lower right hand corner.

                                        This will clear out your ever growing collection of posits/waypoints
                                        that the Nuvi will receive from the Tracker2. If you don't do this,
                                        you will eventually get a message from the Nuvi saying "My Locations
                                        Memory is Full". Doing the above procedure will cure the Nuvi's lack
                                        of appetite.

                                        If you haven't ordered your Tracker2 from Scott yet, be sure to order
                                        the Garmin to Nuvi cable at the same time. Spend the extra $5 or so to
                                        let Scott put the DB-9 on the cable for you. That way it is plug and
                                        play once you get all the parts.. :) You will need the Garmin Garmin
                                        010-10813-00 Mini-B Data Cable and select the DB-9 for a Tracker2 in
                                        the dropdown on the order page.

                                        Lastly, once you get it all up and going, go to the files section of
                                        the group here, and download the Nuvi350/Tracker 2 cheatsheet and keep
                                        on in your glovebox... Handy little guide that is too...

                                        Good luck and have fun!
                                        The Tracker2 and Nuvi combo is 'da bomb' as the kids say these days...

                                        73,
                                        Randy
                                        WF5X
                                      • Vicky Bagwalla
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

                                          I made all the connections today and it worked for a minute or so (then I had to turn it off as it was transmitting every 15 secs). When I re-programmed it to do it every 5 minutes I can see the TX and ACT lights … light up.. but the FT-2600 does not key up. I know it all worked because I tested it and it WAS transmitting. What could have gone wrong??

                                          ============ ========= =====

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

                                            I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                                              Vicky VA3VJB wrote...

                                              > I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?

                                              and

                                              > I made all the connections today and it worked for a minute or so
                                              > (then I had to turn it off as it was transmitting every 15 secs). When
                                              > I re-programmed it to do it every 5 minutes I can see the TX and ACT
                                              > lights light up.. but the FT-2600 does not key up. I know it all
                                              > worked because I tested it and it WAS transmitting. What could have
                                              > gone wrong??

                                              I've read on here and in www.paulsnet.org/nuviv1.pdf that the T2 should
                                              be turned on before the Nuvi 350. However, I've had equal success in
                                              turning them on in any order and in disconnecting and reconnecting the
                                              Nuvi 350.

                                              I would suggest taking a step back and try and determine what is not
                                              working. First, if it was transmitting every 15 seconds, why was it
                                              doing that? Any chance RF was getting back into the T2, or was it a
                                              programming problem? Looking at aprs.fi, I couldn't see any sign that
                                              your T2 had made it to an IGate. Was the supply voltage good? Can you
                                              reliably run otwincfg.exe and talk to the T2? Re the radio not actually
                                              transmitting now... any chance there is an intermittent problem in the
                                              radio cable? You could test that by disconnecting the radio from the T2
                                              and manually grounding the PTT line and wiggling the cable to see if it
                                              transmits continuously or intermittently.

                                              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                            • Randy Love
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                                                Vicky,

                                                You say that you made the cable to spec.. I want to make sure you are
                                                talking about the Ft-2600 to OT2 cable first.

                                                If you look closely at either the front or the back of your DB-9
                                                connector ( easier with a magnifying glass ), you should see small
                                                numbers in the plastic beside/near each pin. These are the numbers
                                                that I used to determine the pin outs between the OT2 and the FT-2600.
                                                The DB-9 are made to a specification that requires the numbering.
                                                Verify the hookup info that I send you against those numbers. On a
                                                Male DB-9, they are indeed on the back of the connecter ( the side you
                                                solder to ). Looking at the BACK of a DB-9 male, the pin order should
                                                be:

                                                5 4 3 2 1
                                                9 8 7 6

                                                From the looks of the pin listing you sent above, you may have had it
                                                backwards. If you wire the DB-9 correctly, the OT2 will turn on and
                                                off with the on/off switch of the FT-2600. Also, make sure the side
                                                wired for the Ft-2600 is plugged into the Ft-2600 and the OT2 side to
                                                the OT2.. The cable will not work if reversed.

                                                Once you verify that the plugs are wired correctly, there is one
                                                setting that you should check on the FT-2600M. Make sure that Menu
                                                option 16 LCKTX is OFF. This is the radio's transmit inhibit option.

                                                While you're in the menus, click on over to option 18 PCKT and set it
                                                to OFF... this will turn the MIC off during packet transmissions.

                                                First place to start would be the self made cable. Check, solder,
                                                recheck, ( swear, remove oopsies, resolder, recheck ) ohm out, then
                                                plug in the radio... I'm messed up my share of cables... comes with
                                                the territory... :)

                                                Let us know what else you find out.

                                                73,
                                                Randy
                                                WF5X
                                              • Randy Love
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                                                  Another note here..
                                                  The diagram you sent is correct for the solder side of a DB-9 FEMALE connector.

                                                  The pins are a mirror image of each other so that Pin 1 is Pin 1 when
                                                  a Male and Female are 'mated'.

                                                  So, the back side of a DB-9 Female is:

                                                  1 2 3 4 5
                                                  6 7 8 9

                                                  And the back side of a DB-9 Male is:

                                                  5 4 3 2 1
                                                  9 8 7 6

                                                  Randy
                                                  WF5X
                                                • Jason KG4WSV
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                                                    On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

                                                    > The pins are a mirror image of each other so that Pin 1 is Pin 1 when
                                                    > a Male and Female are 'mated'.

                                                    I've screwed up enough of these that I should be able to remember the
                                                    pinout by now, but I always just shine a light into the end of the
                                                    connector. The pins are usually numbered down in there...

                                                    -Jason
                                                    kg4wsv
                                                  • t3@razzolink.com
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                                                      I was taught a trick a long time ago that has saved me much grief.

                                                      Mark the plastic next to Pin 1 with a magic marker.

                                                      Most of my connectors have white plastic insulators so the black dot
                                                      next to Pin 1 keeps me honest when wiring.

                                                      Whiteout might work for the black insulators.

                                                      T3

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Feb 6, 2009
                                                        (Sorry everyone, I'm behind on email and trying to get caught up...)

                                                        No, there's no particular combination required. Everything's supposed
                                                        to tolerate being turned on in any order.

                                                        Scott

                                                        Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB wrote:

                                                        > I wonder. Is there an order in which things need to be turned on?
                                                        >

                                                        > Thanks and 73
                                                        >

                                                        > Vicky Bagwalla
                                                        >
                                                        > VA3VJB
                                                        >
                                                        > blog: http://va3vjb.blogspot.com
                                                        >
                                                        > ==========================

                                                      • Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Feb 14, 2009

                                                          Hello Randy,

                                                          I tried putting a voltmeter across the pins for 5 and 8 for the FT-2600 but do not detect any voltage. Any ideas?

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Feb 16, 2009
                                                            On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Vicky Bagwalla-VA3VJB <va3vjb@...> wrote:
                                                            > I tried putting a voltmeter across the pins for 5 and 8 for the FT-2600 but
                                                            > do not detect any voltage. Any ideas?

                                                            Hi, Vicky.

                                                            The power on pin 8 is switched on and off by the radio's power switch.
                                                            If the radio is not powered on, there will be no voltage between pins
                                                            8 and 5. Also, try between pin 8 and the case or chassis of the radio.

                                                            One other thing, the current rating on this pin is only 50mA. It is
                                                            possible that the current limiting could have been exceeded and the
                                                            pin is now disabled. I don't have a schematic for the radio to check
                                                            the circuit to see where else to check for the voltage.

                                                            Looking at the back of the radio with the power cable on the upper
                                                            side, the pin out is this...

                                                            6 7 8 9
                                                            1 2 3 4 5

                                                            As always, double check the pins you are checking ( I sometimes triple
                                                            and quadruple check myself... :)

                                                            73,
                                                            Randy
                                                            WF5X