Test trip

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 21, 2006
      I made my longest trip yet with a (working) T2 prototype yesterday, and it
      worked well. I drove from Santa Maria to Long Beach, up to Simi Valley, and
      back to Santa Maria. Total trip was a bit over 400 miles.

      The GPS recorded 187 received waypoints. It's still out there in the car,
      and has decoded about 9000 packets in 48 hours or so. No lockups or
      glitches at all, as far as I can see.

      There IS something wrong with SmartBeaconing, though. I'm not sure if it's
      specific to Garmin mode or not, but I'll find out. I also identified a
      parsing problem on FindU - it doesn't always process compressed positions
      properly. No word from Steve yet on that one. It's very possible that the
      T2 is the only thing out there reporting the position source as 'other' (in
      Garmin mode) rather than GPRMC, GPGLL, or GPGGA. That could explain why the
      problem hasn't shown up before.

      If anyone's interested in experimenting with command gating, let me know and
      I'll add you to the authlist. And if anyone's got a running unit they don't
      mind me poking around in, let me know and I'll try it out from the other
      direction.

      OT2m Proto 'B' went to the board house yesterday. They *might* make it here
      by the end of next week, but I'll be out of town for the holiday weekend.

      Scott
    • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 21, 2006
        On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

        > T2 is the only thing out there reporting the position source as 'other' (in
        > Garmin mode) rather than GPRMC, GPGLL, or GPGGA

        I read the spec so that it's GLL, when there is no course/speed
        nor altitude in the cs-bytes, NMEA or not.
        Would be nice to be able to report all 3 cse, spd and altitude at once.
        'source other' == next 3 bytes are ANOTHER csT ;)

        Juha, OH5NXO
      • scott@opentrac.org
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 21, 2006
          > Would be nice to be able to report all 3 cse, spd and
          > altitude at once.
          > 'source other' == next 3 bytes are ANOTHER csT ;)

          Yeah, it has its deficiencies. I'm still considering a protocol that'd be
          basically a stripped-down version of OpenTRAC with FEC and optional
          encryption for commercial users. Rather than having all of the element tag
          data of OpenTRAC, it'd have a fixed set of required elements (3D position,
          velocity, symbol, etc) plus a few validity bits, and THEN optional
          extensions.

          Since it'd be T2-specific (to start with anyway) it wouldn't even have to be
          based on AX.25. A complete packet might be 20 bytes. Expand that to 30
          with FEC and you've still got a short packet that's less likely to get
          clobbered by noise, and able to tolerate some damage if it is.

          Scott
        • Jon
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 22, 2006

            > If anyone's interested in experimenting with command
            > gating, let me know and
            > I'll add you to the authlist. And if anyone's got a
            > running unit they don't
            > mind me poking around in, let me know and I'll try
            > it out from the other
            > direction.

            Hi,

            Apologies I've not being contributing much of late,
            I'm swamped in work. I'm hoping one of the T2's goes
            online in the next week or so at a site where we
            previously had no APRS coverage.

            The second one I have I'll update it tonight and
            switch it on. What do you need to play from the other
            end?

            de John
            EI7IG

            http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
          • scott@opentrac.org
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 22, 2006
              > Apologies I've not being contributing much of late,
              > I'm swamped in work. I'm hoping one of the T2's goes
              > online in the next week or so at a site where we
              > previously had no APRS coverage.

              Ok, make sure you've got the lastest firmware. Though I haven't touched the
              digipeating much recently.

              > The second one I have I'll update it tonight and
              > switch it on. What do you need to play from the other
              > end?

              I mostly want to see what the latency is like, see if the ACK timing is
              adequate and that sort of thing. I'll just run some STATUS and VERSION
              commands, probably.

              Scott
            • Jon
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 22, 2006

                > Ok, make sure you've got the lastest firmware.
                > Though I haven't touched the
                > digipeating much recently.
                He just made a liar out of me. Its switched on
                (EI7TRG-2) and running since about an hour ago, though
                I'm not sure how reliable the path to it is.

                He's off on holidays for about a week, so it'll stay
                running in that configuration until he gets back.

                > > The second one I have I'll update it tonight and
                > > switch it on. What do you need to play from the
                > other
                > > end?
                >
                > I mostly want to see what the latency is like, see
                > if the ACK timing is
                > adequate and that sort of thing. I'll just run some
                > STATUS and VERSION
                > commands, probably.

                I'll get a cable made up tomorrow evening or over the
                weekend.. and I'll update the second one to the latest
                firmware.

                Regards
                de John
                EI7IG

                Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
              • Jon
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
                  > I mostly want to see what the latency is like, see
                  > if the ACK timing is
                  > adequate and that sort of thing. I'll just run some
                  > STATUS and VERSION
                  > commands, probably.

                  Hi,

                  How're you getting on with this? I've been swamped in
                  work. I got a cable made up last night to go to the
                  rig I have in the shack, I just need to update the
                  firmware now (Note to self, keyboard cables don't have
                  the ground wire and also PTT IN != PTT :) ).

                  Do I recall correctly that I can update the firmware
                  using xmodem? the Windows Laptop that I had is no
                  more, so I only have zterm here on the MAC for sending
                  up the new firmware.

                  Regards
                  John